April 25, 2024, 08:38:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: canal boat/narrowboat/ 7.5 ton box truck..  (Read 3327 times)
spanners

« on: April 24, 2017, 08:30:15 AM »

hi,guys,

i,m soon going to be re-locating   oo,p  north,, Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

and the long term plan is to live on a canal boat   so i,m now starting to look  for a cheap boat that i can overhaul and re-fit out

any tip off,s /information on any thing that may be available will be gratefuuly recieved  ,

THANKS,,,
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 12:07:21 PM by spanners » Logged

LIVE FAST  and  DIE YOUNG,,  past 50 AND STILL HERE  NOW. WAITING. FOR. THE. GRIM. REAPER
the coppersmith

« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2017, 02:33:59 PM »

remember to allow for all the overheads, mooring fee's, canal fee's etc. GOOD LUCK with it though. Isn't there someone on this site already doing this ?
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2017, 03:04:32 PM »

One of my neighbours was going to, but switched to living on the road instead.
I was in Stratford on Avon yesterday & passed a couple camped at the roadside in an old wooden bow topped Gypsy caravan, with 2 horses tethered next to it. Still possible to live off-grid I guess, but I did notice there was a VW Golf parked behind the caravan!

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2017, 04:26:16 PM »

Tisn't easy living on the canals any more Mike - unless you keep moving (and I mean more than a mile or two) or else live in an expensive marina, the Canal trust can confiscate your boat!

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
spanners

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2017, 06:06:23 PM »

Tisn't easy living on the canals any more Mike - unless you keep moving (and I mean more than a mile or two) or else live in an expensive marina, the Canal trust can confiscate your boat!

moorings  etc shouldn,t be a problem since i will be part of a team  (family firm ) maintaining a fleet of holiday hire boats ,, day boats,,  and trip boats   at pennine cruisers in skipton .

LIVE FAST  and  DIE YOUNG,,  past 50 AND STILL HERE  NOW. WAITING. FOR. THE. GRIM. REAPER
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2017, 10:28:45 PM »

Ah, I never thought of that!

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
spanners

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2017, 12:04:54 PM »

my other idea  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes  is a 7,5  ton box lorry and convert it into part living accomadation ,, , part workshop / storage ,
this maybe a better idea  ,,if the job dosnt work out i could just move on elsewhere , also  no moorings etc

BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2017, 04:08:57 PM »

As long as you have somewhere to park it.

the coppersmith

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2017, 04:37:07 PM »

Home is where you park it  Grin I got the tee shirt
minimutly

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2017, 10:01:15 PM »

71/2 tonners are relatively cheap, much cheaper than a canal boat...
spanners

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2017, 01:43:14 PM »

71/2 tonners are relatively cheap, much cheaper than a canal boat...

yep, i,m looking at a few  ex royal mail ones at present  but they have very short mot,s or none at all ,, i could do with picking something up with a long test on it then it would give me a head start ..

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: