March 28, 2024, 10:35:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: First coal power free day  (Read 1473 times)
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« on: April 21, 2017, 07:34:04 PM »

Tree huggers rejoice!
Apparently, according to "National Grid PLC", today marks the first ever full 24 hour period of energy production without the use of coal power "since the Industrial Revolution".
A good or bad thing?

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Baychimp

« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2017, 08:34:17 PM »

Might be good for us, but China and other developing countrys are building Coal fired power stations daily. So probably not so good for the Planet.
JayJay

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2017, 06:36:44 PM »

I'm not an environmentalist and find all the claims about cars ruining the planet quite laughable when you compare the small amount of CO2 they have contributed over the years. I am also weary of all the reports funded by environmental research grants to claim said cars are causing the damage when very few research grants are available to say otherwise. The whole eco thing has become all about money. That said I do believe the climate is changing but in the same cyclical way it has for millions of years. I also believe we should recycle and that too much stuff is thrown away because it is relatively cheap and not that well made. Not many people make and mend when they can buy a new t-shirt for a couple of quid or pay to mend a washing machine when they can buy a new one for about the same price.  Huh Ultimately I suspect everyone will be living on top of a landfill site. Over time, I can think of loads of new housing estates that have been built on top of compacted rubbish. Really healthy.

The thing is, the West has been seriously polluting since the Industrial Revolution  but they don't want other countries to do the same. It is cheaper for China to build coal fired power stations and you can't blame them for wanting to go down that route. It's not brilliant for the planet but when you think we have used coal based energy for over 250 years I think we are being very hypocritical saying they can't.  Roll Eyes

And don't get me started on all those eco conferences they have around the world and all the aeroplanes used to get there by the multitudes who are so against car pollution.  Angry

Ooh I feel better now.  Grin

The secret of eternal youth is arrested development - Alice Roosevelt Longworth
If there is love, smallpox scars are as pretty as dimples - Japanese proverb
Laziness is nothing more than the habit of resting before you get tired - Jules Renard
the coppersmith

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2017, 07:50:51 PM »

Do your bit for Global Warming, run a V8  Grin
stinkey

I can't stop building stuff ?,but I'm slowing down

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2017, 09:52:06 PM »

Well JJ..part of me agrees with some of your comments..try driving. A London cab or riding a motorbike as a courier for years and convince me vehicles don't cause major pollution or severe asthma problems..?
After seeing how much mankind has decimated the Colombian rain forest so we can have coffee etc and many other scenarios across the globe..I'm sure it's all having a contributory effect on us all?

Backyard hotrodder,learnt by mistake,still learning ?
JayJay

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2017, 12:57:57 AM »

Well JJ..part of me agrees with some of your comments..try driving. A London cab or riding a motorbike as a courier for years and convince me vehicles don't cause major pollution or severe asthma problems..?
After seeing how much mankind has decimated the Colombian rain forest so we can have coffee etc and many other scenarios across the globe..I'm sure it's all having a contributory effect on us all?

I don't disagree with you and you can see pollution just by the dirt build up on houses on main roads. I just don't believe the amount of CO2 created by cars amounts to much in the scheme of things. When you look carefully at the usual graph they use, they display it in such a way that the amount appears magnified when it is quite a small amount since major industrialisation.

What is happening in the Rain Forest and to land generally is terrible; major logging and clearance for products such as coffee and palm oil. The latter, particularly in South East Asia, which is having a major impact on orangutans.  They also say the Rain Forest contains many types of flora yet to be identified which may have properties that could help save lives. Clearance means we might never find those 'miracle' plants. Again though how can we expect a local who can make money by planting oil palms to not put himself and his family first. Money is needed to support local people to discourage them from this decimation. Thing is then, who pays? I and many others already object to the money we pay in aid when charity should start at home.

Hard questions really. Perhaps all those research grants and conference costs could be used instead.  Cheesy

The secret of eternal youth is arrested development - Alice Roosevelt Longworth
If there is love, smallpox scars are as pretty as dimples - Japanese proverb
Laziness is nothing more than the habit of resting before you get tired - Jules Renard
stinkey

I can't stop building stuff ?,but I'm slowing down

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2017, 07:48:20 AM »

I'm guessing we're of the generation that won't really know ?  I'm of the opinion that we all should work for the betterment of mankind ..as in we work a few days a week doing something for the local/world wide community ,which could be as a carer/doctor/road sweeper/mechanic etc.etc..then a few days off..nobody has to work for money because we won't have the dreaded stuff?  Lots of our food production would be grown/cloned in LABS so we wouldn't need to kill animals ? ( and it's happening already before anybody shoots me down ) anyway best I shut up.. Cool

Backyard hotrodder,learnt by mistake,still learning ?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: