April 24, 2024, 09:00:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: “Imitation is the greatest form of flattery” - Flat tanker motorcycles  (Read 3334 times)
Tony oily bike

« on: April 20, 2017, 01:36:37 PM »

It is said that “Imitation is the greatest form of flattery”, so, bearing that in mind, have a look at what The Black Douglas Motorcycle Co are producing.

It’s a brand-new bike that looks similar to an early 1920’s flat-tank.
There’s a modern Taiwanese engine (based around the old Honda CG125) so its OHV, has integral gearbox with foot change, and even a leccie–start. It has modern electrics and even includes indicators.

Just for info, genuine flat-tank bikes (produced roughly up until the late 1920’s) that weren’t belt-drive generally had
•   Magneto ignition, usually with a handlebar lever to vary the timing.
•   Kick starting
•   Both throttle and air mixture levers on the bars
•   A hand operated gear lever, either on the tank or direct from the box
•   A separate oil tank (often built into the flat tank), possibly with a hand-operated oil pump
•   Side-valve (flathead) engines. OHV becoming more common towards the end of flat-tank production
•   Acetylene lighting on the earlier models
•   Handlebar mounted bulb-horn or klaxon

The Sump Magazine article reckons there’ll be two camps of thought - Those that think it’s cool, and those that think it’s a cheesy fake.
I’d suggest a lot of folk (esp non-motorcycle folk) will be fooled that its a “real” “Vintage” or “Veteran” machine (at first glance at least). Those that have Vintage and Veteran in their blood won’t.

http://theblackdouglas.com/
http://sumpmagazine.com/classicbikenews/december-2014/sterling-autocycles.htm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUaY0vda3Yw

Now, after saying all that  Roll Eyes – there is / was (?) a company across the pond called the Timeless Motorcycle Company who are/were (?) making their version of some early 1900s inspired bikes.
Have a peer and see what you think  http://timelessmotorcompany.com/home.html

So reader(s)  Roll Eyes, is it time to done your tweeds, plus-fours, old open face, wax your handlebar moustache and pretend............. or put the hard-earned into a "genuine"?

Answers on a postcard... blah blah
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 01:39:26 PM by Tony oily bike » Logged

There's nowt as light as a hole, so add lightness.

Our lady of blessed acceleration, don't fail me now! - Elwood Blues

Nitro doesn't add power, it multiplies it! Bob Loux, running 10.07 secs @138mph on a 650 normally aspirated Triumph drag bike in 1965!

"Incontinence Hotline" - please hold.
the coppersmith

« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2017, 03:32:35 PM »

Could be a great commuter, oh! hang on I dont do the work thing anymore, but if I did, I could be persuaded. But as a purist, I don't know.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2017, 04:45:01 PM »

Well I like it Smiley

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2017, 06:52:05 PM »

I think it's bloody 'orrible in orange, but could be persuaded to like the blue.  Spose it's ok if you can't afford/haven't got the knowledge for the real thing.  I wouldn't buy one though.

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
morrag

Carpe diem!

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2017, 07:06:46 PM »

There was an interesting item in OBM a few months back, about three or four guys collecting their bikes from the factory in Italy that makes these repos., and riding them back to the UK, with complete reliability, so, they get my vote!!....excellent for someone who wants a different look to their motor cycling, but not the agro. of old machine foibles! Tongue Tongue...now maybe I feel a project coming on? Cool...Morrag

Beware the Ides of March, But!
stinkey

I can't stop building stuff ?,but I'm slowing down

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2017, 08:05:18 PM »

Nice to see old n new combining ( hang on,that's what I've been doing all my life ? Roll Eyes)..
If it brings in new blood I'm all for it

Backyard hotrodder,learnt by mistake,still learning ?
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2017, 08:46:49 PM »

I actually thought the blue one was a genuine oldie & the orange was the repro. Now I don't know which design I prefer!
I'm strictly a sunny days, country lane, trundling along enjoying the ride kinda biker these days, so a 125cc flat tank bike would probably be the very thing -if I hadn't spent the last few years building my own bike.  Smiley

Tony oily bike

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2017, 09:54:05 PM »

Here's a photo of a real 1910 Flying Merkel - this one sold for more than $86,000............

Nitro doesn't add power, it multiplies it! Bob Loux, running 10.07 secs @138mph on a 650 normally aspirated Triumph drag bike in 1965!

Tony oily bike

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2017, 09:58:14 PM »

I actually thought the blue one was a genuine oldie & the orange was the repro. Now I don't know which design I prefer!
I'm strictly a sunny days, country lane, trundling along enjoying the ride kinda biker these days, so a 125cc flat tank bike would probably be the very thing -if I hadn't spent the last few years building my own bike.  Smiley

They're even doing a 250 version too if you ever change your mind........

http://theblackdouglas.com/model/the-pitch-black/#

spanners

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2017, 10:03:38 PM »

a local classic car dealer just sold a 1917 (i think) henderson, 4 cylinder  i really fancied it  but i didnt have the £50,000  he was asking for it

it was sold and exported to poland  Shocked Shocked

LIVE FAST  and  DIE YOUNG,,  past 50 AND STILL HERE  NOW. WAITING. FOR. THE. GRIM. REAPER
Tony oily bike

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2017, 10:19:08 PM »

Saw this back in 2010 - interesting Harley-based 1920/1930s inspired machine.

The engine is based on a (modern) HD Heritage Sportster but heavily modified, the frame is home-designed by the owner (an artist based in London), and built in the states.

Chatting to him, he said the bike had only just been shipped over, and it was at  Brooklands for a 2010 photo shoot.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2017, 10:22:28 PM »

Comparing the original Merkel to the fake, I'd say that's a pretty good likeness. I'd happily ride one.

spanners

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2017, 10:36:34 PM »

i wonder  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes how you would go on getting on one through the  MSVA if you built youre own Huh  just a thought  Wink Wink  i shouldn,t be thinking about more projects ,,

LIVE FAST  and  DIE YOUNG,,  past 50 AND STILL HERE  NOW. WAITING. FOR. THE. GRIM. REAPER
Baychimp

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2017, 09:00:56 PM »

I wouldn't mind one, great for nipping in to town on, and for pootling around the local area. Something a little different.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: