April 20, 2024, 05:31:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Disappearing motor-sport venues.  (Read 2655 times)
Tony oily bike

« on: March 26, 2017, 10:04:03 AM »

A sign of the times maybe.....?

It looks like 2017 could be the last year of Drag racing at Shakespeare County Raceway, Long Marston, as its planned to become a Village Garden.
http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=13821.0

London’s Wimbledon Stadium in Plough Lane first hosted stock car racing in 1962 (source https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wimbledon_Stadium), however, today, 26th March 2017 sees the last stock car meeting before the site is re-developed.

What’s the next one to bite the dust?  Sad
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 10:05:52 AM by Tony oily bike » Logged

There's nowt as light as a hole, so add lightness.

Our lady of blessed acceleration, don't fail me now! - Elwood Blues

Nitro doesn't add power, it multiplies it! Bob Loux, running 10.07 secs @138mph on a 650 normally aspirated Triumph drag bike in 1965!

"Incontinence Hotline" - please hold.
spanners

« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2017, 10:07:16 AM »

i,v raced stocks at wimbledon  its an AWESOME  stadium   what a shame that its going   but theres so much timber  /wood in it it must be a health and saftey nightmare  as a fire risk

LIVE FAST  and  DIE YOUNG,,  past 50 AND STILL HERE  NOW. WAITING. FOR. THE. GRIM. REAPER
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2017, 03:15:09 PM »

I delivered the Mail to a house last week & the garage door was open. There was a stock car of some sort in there with a sticker on the front saying So long Wimbledon. Thanks for all the memories.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2017, 07:54:10 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Dslam

Wot ho chaps, its bloody Whitworth!!

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2017, 10:17:14 PM »

Just got back from Wimbledon. I raced Bangers there a few times in the late 80's.
Sad to see another motorsport venue gone. Had a great time tonight though.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2017, 12:48:44 PM »

Hi Andy. It's a real shame isn't it. I know things change & move on & all that, but that's another piece of our heritage gone. Very sad.

the coppersmith

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2017, 04:21:13 PM »

We've lost 3 sites in the South West and 2 more are under consideration for redevelopment.
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2017, 07:52:41 PM »

Money talks, sadly.

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
Tony oily bike

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2017, 06:31:31 AM »

We've lost 3 sites in the South West and 2 more are under consideration for redevelopment.

I'd be interested to know which sites, any chance you could list them pls, thanks.

There's nowt as light as a hole, so add lightness.

Our lady of blessed acceleration, don't fail me now! - Elwood Blues

Nitro doesn't add power, it multiplies it! Bob Loux, running 10.07 secs @138mph on a 650 normally aspirated Triumph drag bike in 1965!

"Incontinence Hotline" - please hold.
the coppersmith

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2017, 11:28:34 AM »

We have lost Plymouth, Pennycross stadium to industrial estate. Newton Abbot back to horse racing and housing. St Austell is a adventure playground and open air market.
The 2 we may loose is Dunkeswell and St. Eval, Harrowbeer has gone back to MOD but only used for club events.
spanners

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2017, 06:47:28 PM »

We have lost Plymouth, Pennycross stadium to industrial estate. Newton Abbot back to horse racing and housing. St Austell is a adventure playground and open air market.
The 2 we may loose is Dunkeswell and St. Eval, Harrowbeer has gone back to MOD but only used for club events.

and up here we lost crewe stadium to a retail park  and rakes lane a bolton  also to retail park

and  nottingham went years back..

belle view speedway  has been moved also  but they have recently managed to run F1  and  F2  stocks

high edge  at buston  has changed owners and managers  a good number of times but still clings on as  buxton raceway   and chesterton  at stoke is just about surviving

i dont  know / havn,t heard about ,antrobus,, in a goodwhile ..

LIVE FAST  and  DIE YOUNG,,  past 50 AND STILL HERE  NOW. WAITING. FOR. THE. GRIM. REAPER
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2017, 08:02:01 PM »

I didn't realise there were actually that many!
Only ever been once, when I was a teenager & on holiday in Great Yarmouth. My dad took me. We leant against a brick wall up on a bank & the wall started to topple over! The only bit I remember about the meet.

minimutly

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2017, 05:26:06 PM »

Picked this up on another site earlier:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=alDC1-rIBp0
Worth a watch
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: