April 19, 2024, 11:08:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: John Surtees MBE dies at the age of 83  (Read 1601 times)
Tony oily bike

« on: March 10, 2017, 06:06:46 PM »

The term "legend" is over used, however its well suited to John Surtees - the only man to have won the Grand Prix world championship on both two wheels and four, and a TT winner to boot. He also set up his own Grand Prix team.
There's loads to read about the man on the web, so here are just two links.

Photo taken at Goodwood back in 2010

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/39235608

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Surtees

There's nowt as light as a hole, so add lightness.

Our lady of blessed acceleration, don't fail me now! - Elwood Blues

Nitro doesn't add power, it multiplies it! Bob Loux, running 10.07 secs @138mph on a 650 normally aspirated Triumph drag bike in 1965!

"Incontinence Hotline" - please hold.
Tony oily bike

« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2017, 06:09:16 PM »

......and here's photo of John and late Denis Jenkinson at Shelsey Walsh having a day hillclimbing

Don't know who to credit the photo to, but it could be the late Bob Light

Nitro doesn't add power, it multiplies it! Bob Loux, running 10.07 secs @138mph on a 650 normally aspirated Triumph drag bike in 1965!

Tony oily bike

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2017, 06:17:01 PM »

John gave a very interesting talk at Brooklands in May 2015. Here’s a photo of his Formula 2 Surtees Ford TS10/2 that he won the ’72 Japanese Grand Prix in.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2017, 07:31:59 PM »

As you say Tony, another legend gone. Never met him, or even saw him race, but even I know his name.
They really don't make 'em like that any more.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
morrag

Carpe diem!

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2017, 11:10:43 PM »

I saw him race for the first time back in the 50's, at Aberdare Park, on a Manx Norton, no knees down, or elbows! just neat and tidy, and very, very, quick! RIP John Surtees, one of a kind.....

Beware the Ides of March, But!
minimutly

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2017, 12:01:46 PM »

Indeed, at least he made the magic 80 - with some to spare. A legend and a gentleman.
JayJay

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2017, 12:11:55 AM »

......and here's photo of John and late Denis Jenkinson at Shelsey Walsh having a day hillclimbing ...

Are you sure it's not Chevy Rick on that bike? That beard looks very familiar.  Shocked  Cheesy

As for Mr Surtees, whenever I have read an article about him they have always stressed his gentlemanly nature as well as his skill on the circuit. He has also done a lot of charitable work, especially since his teenage son died in a terrible racing car crash. I am surprised he was never knighted especially when you consider those who have been.  Huh

Competing against the likes of Barry Sheen and Mike Hailwood, John Surtees remains the only motorcyclist to have won BBC Sports Personality of the Year which shows just how popular he was.

A life lived well.  Cool

The secret of eternal youth is arrested development - Alice Roosevelt Longworth
If there is love, smallpox scars are as pretty as dimples - Japanese proverb
Laziness is nothing more than the habit of resting before you get tired - Jules Renard
Tony oily bike

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2017, 09:25:09 AM »

At the Goodwood Members Meeting, as a salute to the great man, there was a "moment of noise". Proper stuff!!  Grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UGVpgjF44c

Interstingly a similar thing was planned for Jenks...........

Jenks died in late 1996, and the following year there was a Jenks Marquee at the Festival of Speed, and instead of the usual minutes silence, there was to be a “minutes noise”, however “politics” gained the upper hand and the noisy minute never happened..............  Sad
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 09:31:32 AM by Tony oily bike » Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: