March 29, 2024, 09:48:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: a dogs life !  (Read 5644 times)
the coppersmith

« on: February 09, 2017, 10:17:39 AM »

The Old folk are out, so I'm just chilling with the netflix  Cheesy
JayJay

« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2017, 12:32:31 PM »

If it wasn't for the missing eye patch, that could be Alfie. He was 8 at Christmas and he has definitely turned into a snooze hound on 'his' settee. You obviously pamper Ralphy as no Netflix for Alfie.

The secret of eternal youth is arrested development - Alice Roosevelt Longworth
If there is love, smallpox scars are as pretty as dimples - Japanese proverb
Laziness is nothing more than the habit of resting before you get tired - Jules Renard
the coppersmith

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2017, 12:56:26 PM »

First time he has ever been allowed on the furniture, he keeps looking and wondering why am I doing this ?
morrag

Carpe diem!

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2017, 07:25:42 PM »

Where as Buzz knows no difference!!..............a tough life, but someone has to do it!

Beware the Ides of March, But!
JayJay

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2017, 10:53:04 PM »

Buzz doesn't look all that comfortable Morrag. You would think all his blood would go to his head.

Laziness is nothing more than the habit of resting before you get tired - Jules Renard
morrag

Carpe diem!

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2017, 12:06:40 AM »

Grin Grin

Beware the Ides of March, But!
the coppersmith

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2017, 07:15:05 PM »

update for JJ. youngest greatgrandson and the big bad bull terrier watching TV  Grin Grin
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2017, 07:44:59 PM »

I often wonder -can cats & dogs really see & understand the images on a TV screen? Or are they just seeing a kaleidoscope of moving colours? Can they see colour? I'm told one of the reasons dogs bark at we Posties is because the dayglo jackets we wear confuse their eyes & they either can't see the reflective bit, so we look like a floating head & hands, or it hurts their eyes. Always been curious how animals see the World.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2017, 08:31:50 PM »

I don't know what animals see but our dog liked to watch football, and we had one cat that got very excited about birds on TV which suggests that he knew what he was seeing.  Boysie the kitten watches anything, but most of our cats have been completely oblivious of the TV.

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
JayJay

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2017, 08:33:21 PM »

I often wonder -can cats & dogs really see & understand the images on a TV screen? Or are they just seeing a kaleidoscope of moving colours? Can they see colour? I'm told one of the reasons dogs bark at we Posties is because the dayglo jackets we wear confuse their eyes & they either can't see the reflective bit, so we look like a floating head & hands, or it hurts their eyes. Always been curious how animals see the World.

I don't know about the reflective gear Andy but at school we were taught dogs could only see black, white and grey. This is no longer said to be true but dogs are limited to fewer colours than humans but they have better night vision. Most breeds can't see as far as we can and most dogs recognise their owners from their excellent sense of smell rather than their sight.

Alfie, our English Bull Terrier, is hopeless when it comes to vision and he's not that much better with smells but he does make up for this by being hilarious. He always seems to be doing something amusing even when he's sleeping.

Andy, maybe you need to do some more testing vis-à-vis your high vis jacket. Perhaps start with a few pekingese puppies. I'm sure they would only give a little nibble to your ankles.  Cheesy

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2017, 08:58:42 AM »

Cheesy
I've been on the receiving end of aggressive dogs a few times over the years. Not funny I assure you. Owners seem to think because theie pet's O.K with them, they will be with everyone. They also think the Postman getting bitten is funny cos they've seen it in cartoons. It ain't.
I've had several go for me when I'm just walking past them in the street, (which maybe confirms the hi-vis thing). That makes them a dangerous & comoletely uncontrolled animal as far as I'm concerned. The owners wouldn't be so amused if it was a child rather than the local Postie.
Larger breeds are usually fine -it's the little ones that are always foul tempered, viscious little ...dogs.
Sorry. Sore subject -literally Smiley

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
JayJay

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2017, 12:39:32 PM »

Agree about little dogs. I chose a pekingese as I've been bitten by one. Well gummed more like because it didn't have many teeth but it still hurt. I suppose a lot of it is they are protecting their territory. I wouldn't fancy having to go into a garden when I knew dogs were in there. I learnt that lesson at a school friend's house, as she had two German Shepherds. Jeez, I slammed the glass door shut just in time after they chased me into the kitchen but my friend's mum wondered why I was making such a fuss Huh yet they were still snarling and scratching at the door. I was so scared and I am still wary of GSs.  Shocked

Iceman

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2017, 01:46:41 PM »

A good dog is the heart beat of any house. I love them.The picture of the bull terrier with that wee boy is a joy. I've two working collies and they love our postman - it's easy, I just gave the postie a hand full of dog treats and asked him to give one to the dog when they were pups, before he posted the mail. I think he only had to do it a couple of times before they decided he was a  good guy. Well trained dogs, in my opinion as a dog handler of over twenty years , are more contented than most of the semi feral ( he's a real character...)  pet dogs I know - they have a better idea of their place in the pack.
 Fifteen years ago I had a young dog that bit my daughter. I asked our local vet what he thought I should do " there is no place in society for a dog that bites " was his reply.  I had the dog put down. Folks just don't think before they buy a dog and are too bloody lazy to train them. Andy's right, to be confronted by a vicious dog is a terrifying thing. Mabye every potential dog owner should be forced to do this before they buy one ....
If you want to see my dogs in action follow the link. I'm the grumpy one with the beard. We appear about the 45min mark. Tom.
 http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08zm778

Embrace your inner lunatic. Fun times guaranteed!
the coppersmith

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2017, 03:24:58 PM »

the bully is fine with everyone, but has got a wicked tail wag  Cheesy The window cleaner once turned up un announced and leapt over the 6 foot gate to get to the back. Ralph was waiting for him ! The guy was clinging to the top of the fence with the dog jumping around, scared for his life, he looked down to see a tail wagging  Grin Grin Grin
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2017, 11:26:06 AM »

Larger breeds are usually fine -it's the little ones that are always foul tempered, viscious little ...dogs.

My friend's daughter when aged about 6 was running up the beach, minding her own business, and a little dog of some sort streaked across towards her at top speed and sank its teeth in her hand! 
Totally unprovoked, she wasn't even anywhere near it!

On the other hand, when I was a kid some friends had a boxer pup and an older pekingese, the boxer often scratched our bare legs and arms just by being over-enthusiastic, and the peke used to buily run around licking us better and snuggling up to anyone who was crying!

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: