March 29, 2024, 10:56:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: repositioning lug on su adapter  (Read 4129 times)
merv

« on: January 30, 2017, 07:55:53 PM »

Just an idea i'm having, i warmed the su adapter up and managed to twist out one of the water pipe lugs, with the thought of changing it to the other side. Two problems, i cant get the blanking bit out of the other side, so if i drilled it out how would i seal the other side up and how would i seal the water pipe lug into the new position.
Anybody got any ideas ?

Why do every five minute job take all day, and
if it can go wrong it will go wrong
mrhutch

« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2017, 08:30:11 PM »

assuming there is a channel right through can you not punch the blank out from the end you removed the pipe from?
merv

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2017, 08:59:19 PM »

Tried that it seemed very solid so drilled through it with a smaller size drill bit just to have a look, the whole part of that adapter is hollow. So i now need to know how i can seal the hole up on the side i took the lug out of and how i can fit the lug and seal in on the other side

Stix

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2017, 10:05:45 PM »

If you drill the blank side to give an interference fit you could heat the block and push the spigot in,then when it cools it should be a tight fit,the size of the hole will be a bit critical to ensure a tight fit. On the now open side that needs blanking, tap it out to a known size, 6-8-10 mm and fit a short bolt with a counting of a silicone sealer, if possible file or machine the face flat and square to the bore so a fibre washer can be used along with the silicone to give a good seal.

If the original spigot can't be re-used because of the size of the hole needed to get a decent hole in the alloy look about for a replacement brass spigot possibly with a thread so it could be screwed in and silicone sealed.

Stix

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BRASS-PIPE-FITTINGS-BSP-1-4-TO-2-PLUMBING-/111573445907?
var=410568644080&hash=item19fa4bad13:m:mxZcf6qjZrjfKZB76zGBbhw
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 10:14:33 PM by Stix » Logged
Stix

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2017, 10:16:22 PM »

On the eBay add check out the male hose tail, this sort of thing could work.

Stix
spanners

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2017, 11:22:07 PM »

drill out and tap it to BSP  both sides  ,, plug one and screw a  nipple,,( oo,,arrr)  in the other side ,,SIMPLE,S,,  done it lots of times  but  if you get the same ,SU adapter  of a reliant kitten (4 wheeler)  they have the outlets in the position you are looking for  Wink

LIVE FAST  and  DIE YOUNG,,  past 50 AND STILL HERE  NOW. WAITING. FOR. THE. GRIM. REAPER
merv

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2017, 06:36:10 PM »

Thanks guys, thats a big help, for some reason i never thought of tapping it out

terry t

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2017, 05:56:14 PM »

If there is enough material left around the hole tap a thread in. then fit threaded spigot in one and cap in the other. 
minimutly

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2017, 09:50:53 PM »

Are you planning to drive this in cold - as in sub 10 degrees weather? If not why bother with the heated manifold?
merv

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2017, 09:46:41 AM »

Hi minimutly
Because if i remember rightly a couple of people on hear in past topics have mentioned the manifold icing up

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2017, 08:32:39 PM »

I once had a very thin film of ice on the outside of one of mine, which wiped off with my gloved hand as I rode along, but that was after several hours of continuous motorway riding. Didn't seem to affect the running of the engine though.
Of course, on a trike, the engine's out in the airflow instead of being encased in a very small engine bay, so the windchill will drop the running temperature a few degrees.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
minimutly

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2017, 02:06:45 PM »

i appreciate that, my minis have never run with manifold heating (costs power), and only once did I experience icing - cold foggy night, experimenting with a horrible glass sided downdraft - Nicky I think it was called.
So if this is a sunny day trike try it without I say.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: