April 28, 2024, 07:19:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Trike build  (Read 11382 times)
triker-taz
« on: January 01, 2007, 06:52:04 PM »

So been sorting the shed now for the past 3 days and can almost finally see the floor Grin so I think all being well its about time to get the bits together for my first build.. The question I have for you all is what do you think the min space I will need Huh I plan on building a bike based trike with a narrowed axle but still think I wont have enough room. Roll Eyes also as its my first build was thinking of using parts that I have to hand 1 because it should be cheaper and 2 as its my first go it could all end up as a large pile of scrap.. Undecided The parts I have are...

Yam XS750 engine, frame, forks, front wheel etc
Suzuki SJ413 back axle which I will want to narrow to approx 1.4m (same as pitbull)(any ideas)
Plus other bits and bobs.

Will be a hard tail with removable back axle so is it worth trying to use these or would I be better off ditching this lot and trying to find something else.. Roll Eyes

Any suggestions would be great. Grin
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2007, 11:12:18 AM »

Never used anything other than a Reliant axle so can't help with the Suzi item really.
I've been virtually living in the garage at the bottom of Ska Man's garden for the last couple of years, in which time we've knocked out several trike rolling chassis from there. At the moment it contains his own blue trike, plus my ongoing project.
It's a standard lock up garage type size -about 8 foot by , I dunno, 16 maybe. More room would be nice but we manage O.K

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
triker-taz
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2007, 06:54:53 PM »

Picked up the axel today (and it was bloody heavy Grin Grin) no seriously got the axel today off the guy who said I could have it free. It is only 52" wide from outside face of brake drum to outside face of other brake drum.. so its not that much wider than me other trike and if I can find the right wheels with enough offset I might be able to keep the overall width the same... ::)so for ease I am thinking of not bothering to try and narrow it Huh Huh what do you guys think  Roll Eyes...How wide is the standard reliant axles that lots of you use. Grin
spanners

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2007, 07:31:43 PM »

what is the axle of? Huh

LIVE FAST  and  DIE YOUNG,,  past 50 AND STILL HERE  NOW. WAITING. FOR. THE. GRIM. REAPER
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2007, 09:06:04 PM »

I'm not a builder as you know...

But on my trike, the narrowing of the axle means that the diff lines up perfectly with the shft drive from the bike engine - I don't know ehether the engine you've got is a shaftie though.

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
triker-taz
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2007, 09:30:18 PM »

what is the axle of? Huh

A suzuki SJ413, its one of thoes little 4wd things (great fun like a landy thats had a boil wash) Grin Grin Grin
triker-taz
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2007, 09:33:16 PM »

I'm not a builder as you know...

But on my trike, the narrowing of the axle means that the diff lines up perfectly with the shft drive from the bike engine - I don't know ehether the engine you've got is a shaftie though.

Had a quick look at my other trike as going to be using the same frame and engine (Yam xs750 shaft drive) and looks like it will prob just line up as is Roll Eyes just bit concerned that it might not look quite right as think bike trikes look better with narrowed axles.. Huh but its not that wide to start with.. Huh
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2007, 09:46:35 PM »

Some folks think mine's too narrow, they wonder how it corners.  I've not had any problem, I go round roundabouts at the right speed, never had any problem with an ordinary bend tho.

SJ413

« Last Edit: January 05, 2007, 09:48:38 PM by BikerGran » Logged

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2007, 10:11:27 PM »

Hiya,
Presumably you're putting the finished trike through the MSVA registration process? In which case, keeping the overall width less than 1700mm will save you a lot of hassle. Above that they test them under much tougher car style regs, (must have 2 headlights within x number of millimetres of the outside edge of the vehicle etc -can't remember the figure off the top of my head).
Standard Reliant axles are roughly 1300mm wide. You mean you need wheels with lots of inset, not offset -they need to come inboard over the axle to keep the width down. Flap's orange trike uses deep dished 1970s Wolfrace wheels, so we had to cut 8 inches out of the axle to keep the overall width the same as a standard Reliant.
The prop doesn't have to line up exactly with the engine -the UJs will take up the difference as long as it's not excessive, but obviously it would look nicer in line. I've never worked on an IRS system & have no idea about narrowing them then setting up the camber etc again.
You could try emailing ByzMax, (his address is in the Members List). He's working on an XS1100 trike with an MX5 IRS set up.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2007, 10:35:44 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

triker-taz
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2007, 10:24:44 PM »

Hi Manky thanks for that knew there was a max width before trouble with the msva started but could not remember, and yes 1300 thats about the width of this one and if like you say use wheels with lots of inset then it can have big wheels but still stay narrow. Grin

It is a solid axle not an irs as it will be a hardtail (think it might be a tad easier) so think in that case I will leave well alone as think it will prob line up ok as it is,  Roll Eyes the only thing is the diff will be over to the left not central (but this is where it will need to be to line up) bit like Helene's (small but perfectly formed) trike in 100% biker issue84 but I doubt anywhere near as good.. Cool
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2007, 10:39:42 PM »

Sorry, missed the mention of hardtail when I scanned through the rest of the thread. Helene's is lovely. The only thing I'd change is the bars, simply cos I'm not keen on long tiller bars, but if she's that petite she probably needs them.
A copy of the 30 quid MSVA manual from VOSA would be a wise investment.

wizzkitt

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2007, 10:57:47 PM »

Sorry, missed the mention of hardtail when I scanned through the rest of the thread. Helene's is lovely. The only thing I'd change is the bars, simply cos I'm not keen on long tiller bars, but if she's that petite she probably needs them.

I'm a bit surprised about the bars because Helene is the same height as me, but she has had back problems I believe, so maybe that's the reason. Even I quite like her trike.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2007, 11:36:47 PM »

Maybe we'll get you on 3 wheels yet then Wizz!

triker-taz
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2007, 12:18:52 AM »

A copy of the 30 quid MSVA manual from VOSA would be a wise investment.

No the only likeness would be the position of the axle dont think I could do out that good Roll Eyes And yes I quite agree think I must get one..
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2007, 12:27:33 AM »

Pah! Don't be so defeatist! The best looking bikes are usually the simplest. Huge amounts of cash don't guarantee a pleasing finished product & clever ideas & hard graft cost nothing. Ours cost an average of 2 grand finished & on the road, but that's spread over a couple of years each cos we're all skint.

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: