April 29, 2024, 02:40:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Another axle question  (Read 2919 times)
pie

« on: January 01, 2007, 02:25:27 PM »

Happy new year everyone!

Been busy over christmas and finished my axle off, but need a bit of tech type help.
I've turned the axle upside down, chopped 8 inches out of one side, put it all back together and swapped the back plates round so the slave cylinders are at the front and adjusters at the back, the question is have i done right? only i have just seen some pics of a beautifully made trike using the same sort of axle and his backplates are on with the slave cylinder at the back. Could really do with some help on this before i go any further.
triker-taz
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2007, 02:50:20 PM »

Hi I would say yes (will prob be proved wrong)  Roll Eyes ) its all to do with the leading edge of the brake shoes and that... though I have been told it does not make that much differance as the weight it is trying to stop on a trike is some what less than when it was in the car Roll Eyes. The ones on mine have been swapped over so that they are the same as when it was on the car..

So what axle have you chopped Roll Eyes will hopefully get round to mine soon and first job will be to narrow my axle (any tips Grin)
pie

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2007, 03:18:46 PM »

I was reasonably sure that I had done right, thanks for your opinion though, bloody fantastic these forum things!
The axle is a reliant robin I think, and chopping it wasn't as difficult as first imagined. I did do lots of research and got all the info i needed from mr monkey himself.
The drive shaft was cut and then had a sleeve put over, it was welded at both ends, then pinned with engineering dowel and welded in, then it was put on a lathe and balanced up.
I didn't take the tube out from the diff all I did was work out where the frame met the axle and made the cut there, took out the 8 inches and welded it back together, carefully, the axle mounts will go over the join and hide it as well as strengthen it.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2007, 12:18:35 PM »

Might have been a good idea to sleeve the tube joint as well but should be O.K
Brock's emailed me this link on setting up single leading shoe brakes.

http://www.7ent.com/page_diagram.cfm?pageid=40

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
pie

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2007, 02:30:30 PM »

The axle mounts are going to be welded onto the axle so i don't reckon it'll ever pull apart (at least i hope not),  just looked at the link and mine are working exactly like that, hurrah! onto the next problem then. Thanks.
klogan45

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2007, 07:41:21 PM »

Oh No another job to do Embarrassed before I fit the brake shoes. Could have been worse though, could have fitted them and had to strip them out again Grin
Really glad that I read this one before I went any further though. Thanks Guys
K

Confucius say woman who flies upside down has crack up!

He who holds The Angle Grinder of Destiny holds the fate of bikekind in his hands.

Where did that 13mm spanner go then?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: