March 29, 2024, 09:13:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: New to rods  (Read 9478 times)
Shaun dodger collins

« on: August 30, 2016, 12:00:34 PM »

Hi been on here befor but fogot my  login stuff so will start again, clean slate and all that.
Im finaly going to start my first ever rod from scratch spoke to vosa they tell me  i will be building a M 1 class car  gave me some good advise .as yet to reen the avi guid lines . But my basic plan is simple lol in my head but im sure its going to be tuff but intresting at same time. Now my plans. Home made chasy  truck cab cut down to fit and jag ass end with bmw engine power. Any advise please thanks

Shaun dodger collins

« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2016, 12:06:43 PM »

Iv got a Pontiac fiero  lump from  topgear i was going to use it but needs more money than im happy to put in to it unless anyone no were i can get  parts for it within the uk. As very much would like to make good use of as its self contained on a subframe

poprodder

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2016, 02:31:26 PM »

welcome, so you will be building to iva spec then? as your constructing your own chassis. the only way to do it legally.

Olds

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2016, 02:50:13 PM »

Welcome.
The IVA manual is 299 pages long and some parts take a bit of careful thought.
Well worth either printing off or as I do keep the page as a tab on the computer for reference.
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/iva-manual-for-vehicle-category-m1

Surprised that VOSA told you M1 catergory as light goods vehicles are N1
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/iva-manual-for-vehicle-category-n1

Good luck with the build and plan carefully from the start to save problems later.
Any idea what truck cab you will be using.

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
Shaun dodger collins

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2016, 02:57:01 PM »

Yup m1 as its a passenger vehicle as I'm not carrying any goods and the cab will be chopped

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2016, 03:39:23 PM »

Welcome to the forum Shaun! -or at least, welcome back.
First step- make friends with Mr Olds & Mr Kapri.  Wink Several guys here have SVA'd trikes & although they're different vehicles, should be able to give you an insight into the workings of VOSA & DVLA. I put my own pick-up truck through, but that was the old commercial SVA test, which is no longer used. It's a bit daunting when you start out, (I've got a real phobia of any sort of test or exam), but take it one step at a time & it's still perfectly do-able.
As Mr Olds says, making a detailed plan now to build within the regulations will save you having to alter a lot of parts later.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 08:33:44 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
poprodder

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2016, 04:15:08 PM »

Yup m1 as its a passenger vehicle as I'm not carrying any goods and the cab will be chopped

still has to pass iva test.

poprodder

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2016, 04:24:40 PM »

i could be wrong, but this sounds all too familiar from somewhere else, kev?

do accept my apologies if i'm wrong.

phunkie hiboy

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2016, 04:29:08 PM »

FV, no do you think so?

Built without compromise, by the more luck than judgment method.
Olds

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2016, 06:25:06 PM »

I think Dodger knows about IVA or at least MSVA and the DVLA
A certain rear engined V8 trike and Darwin's theory springs to mind.

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
poprodder

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2016, 06:51:49 PM »

FV, no do you think so?
no not fv, my god we don't want him on here!!!!!

just someone on r/s a while ago kept mentioning class m1,

i could be (no doubt will be) completely wrong and apologies in advance.

Shaun dodger collins

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2016, 07:39:56 PM »

Lol thats me olds im the one that had the v8 trike done a few after that. Geting bord of trikes realy fancy a rod as for this M1 category I'm only quoting what I was told on the phone from a chap called Cris Cocker Of Vosa Cris  he wrote the book on how things should be I told him everything he needed to know and what I was planning to do and this is what he came back with

Shaun dodger collins

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2016, 07:43:53 PM »

Thanks for the Welcome Back everybody and you monkey I have had yet got to download the IVA test I do understand the sva requirements forsva they are very different as I understand from the IVA and yes I will need to pass an IVA which is why I have come here because you guys a veterans at this and figures if anyone knows you guys will if I should get stuck I have a very good friends on a farm who does body work and roof Chop going to help me with the cab I have all the gear I need to build a chassis and I have avast access to the parts at the local scrap yard this should be interesting but money is very tight.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 07:46:18 PM by Shaun dodger collins » Logged

Shaun dodger collins

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2016, 07:54:06 PM »

FV, no do you think so?
who or what is it or he

phunkie hiboy

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2016, 07:59:59 PM »

Shaun, the requirements for SVA and IVA are pretty much the same (put simply, SVA updated into EU directives plus a few little extras). If you know what you're doing with SVA on cars, you'll be fine. I've been doing this (SVA/IVA) since 2001.
The name Chris Cocker rings a bell, was he a tester out of Mitcham and latterly Northam (also a DP station on Southamton docks). In which case I have worked with him, nice helpful guy.

Built without compromise, by the more luck than judgment method.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: