April 24, 2024, 12:22:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
  Print  
Author Topic: THE BLACK PIG,  (Read 25268 times)
lunatic

« Reply #60 on: November 10, 2016, 10:39:27 AM »

Take the plugs out, kicks over really easily then! But seriously, didn't early xs,s have a decompression lever on the left hand rocker cover? That could be a way round the problem.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #61 on: November 10, 2016, 03:07:06 PM »

That's good news Mike. Wink If there's no rush to get it on the road, just plug away at it as & when you get the urge/parts.
The starter gears come up on Ebay once in a while, (I think mine went to either Archie or Tom's projects). Or try Mike's XS in the States, (serendipitous or what!). They do all sorts of upgrade parts, like a longer 5th gear, so you can cruise at lower revs.
I wondered about fitting a decompressor on mine, just to be a bit different. Tony Oily Bike commented on it somewhere in my build thread with a couple of links. I think you need to change the valve as well cos it has a lug cast into it that the decomp' thingy connects to. I bought a 2nd kickstart lever for mine & am in the process of reducing the diameter of the arm to take a stainless tube that'll slide inside a Harley rubber pedal.
Keep at it Mike. You'll get there. 

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Tony oily bike

« Reply #62 on: November 10, 2016, 04:05:27 PM »

That's good news Mike. Wink If there's no rush to get it on the road, just plug away at it as & when you get the urge/parts.
The starter gears come up on Ebay once in a while, (I think mine went to either Archie or Tom's projects). Or try Mike's XS in the States, (serendipitous or what!). They do all sorts of upgrade parts, like a longer 5th gear, so you can cruise at lower revs.
I wondered about fitting a decompressor on mine, just to be a bit different. Tony Oily Bike commented on it somewhere in my build thread with a couple of links. I think you need to change the valve as well cos it has a lug cast into it that the decomp' thingy connects to. I bought a 2nd kickstart lever for mine & am in the process of reducing the diameter of the arm to take a stainless tube that'll slide inside a Harley rubber pedal.
Keep at it Mike. You'll get there. 

Link to some decompressor info   http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=14735.0

"Mikes XS" in the states has an outlet in Holland called Heiden Tuning. (Being in Holland it makes it easier re postal charges and VAT)
http://www.xs650.biz/p/28/1423/home

There's nowt as light as a hole, so add lightness.

Our lady of blessed acceleration, don't fail me now! - Elwood Blues

Nitro doesn't add power, it multiplies it! Bob Loux, running 10.07 secs @138mph on a 650 normally aspirated Triumph drag bike in 1965!

"Incontinence Hotline" - please hold.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #63 on: November 10, 2016, 05:35:51 PM »

Smiley

spanners

« Reply #64 on: November 10, 2016, 06:01:00 PM »

found an engine (early  pre 76/77 ) with  the decompressor on it but its siezed and some of the decomp bits are damaged / cracked ,, but its £500  Shocked Shocked Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

LIVE FAST  and  DIE YOUNG,,  past 50 AND STILL HERE  NOW. WAITING. FOR. THE. GRIM. REAPER
minimutly

« Reply #65 on: November 10, 2016, 07:41:05 PM »

Don't rush....
spanners

« Reply #66 on: November 27, 2016, 03:49:13 PM »

GOOD NEWS,, i couldn,t sleep again last night and spent alot of time thinking ,, so first thing this morning i went up the yard and it was quite a pleasent start to the day at around  8am so i wheeled the pig outside  and sorted out all the ignition bits and asembled what i had  got the battery charged and rigged up a direct ignition feed put the fuel test tank on  and the left carb flooded but a  light tap stopped that  everything was roughly set  ,, full choke,,, first kick  she FIRED UP  and ran well  but dosnt like coming off choke so i need another look at the carbs ,, i then  got brave a popped her into first, and eased the clutch out and we flew off up the yard ,,,OHHH  SH1T,,,,, no brakes connected  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes  any i dumped the throttle shut and took a couple of miles of tread of me boots  came back down the yard and  refitted the rear brake rod ,, and had another go ,, so yes she is ,,ALIVE,, after her long slumber

the biggest thing i found is  she is very high geared  even in first gear   any idea,s ??  she has standard front and rear sprockets ,,

LIVE FAST  and  DIE YOUNG,,  past 50 AND STILL HERE  NOW. WAITING. FOR. THE. GRIM. REAPER
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #67 on: November 27, 2016, 05:55:44 PM »

That's great news Mike! Well done. I haven't achieved movement with mine yet, so you're ahead of me.

spanners

« Reply #68 on: November 27, 2016, 06:52:09 PM »

That's great news Mike! Well done. I haven't achieved movement with mine yet, so you're ahead of me.

lol, first run was  scarey when i realised i hadnt any brakes  it hasnt got anything on the front yet  and i,d left the rear brake pedal off when i put the side case  back  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

second run up the yard was better,,,lol,

third  run couldn,t de-clutch  Shocked Shocked bl@@dy adjuster lock nut had wound its self off ,,  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

i,v  been in a real bad spot the last week or so  but aint it funny how tearing up and down the yard with an old moto-sickle, can bring a smile back and brighten things up ,,,

BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #69 on: November 27, 2016, 06:58:17 PM »

i,v  been in a real bad spot the last week or so  but aint it funny how tearing up and down the yard with an old moto-sickle, can bring a smile back and brighten things up ,,,

Even if you nearly put yourself in hospital in the process!  Grin    Grin    Grin

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
minimutly

« Reply #70 on: November 27, 2016, 08:59:04 PM »

Made us all laugh anyway... Cheesy
Olds

« Reply #71 on: November 27, 2016, 09:26:41 PM »

Certainly made me chuckle. Cheesy

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
stinkey

I can't stop building stuff ?,but I'm slowing down

« Reply #72 on: November 27, 2016, 09:59:34 PM »

Mike you impetuous fool..COOL  Cheesy

Backyard hotrodder,learnt by mistake,still learning ?
spanners

« Reply #73 on: November 27, 2016, 10:04:52 PM »

and the kickstart only bit me once   out of the dozen or so times i started it ,, well it must have bitten me,,,,   the inside of my right leg is missing some flesh  and the muscle has gone purple tonight ,,  f@ckin  BLACK PIG,, Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

spanners

« Reply #74 on: November 27, 2016, 10:41:40 PM »

i,m now looking for exhaust down pipes,, mine are shot at  and the i missed the nice custom ones i was bidding on   on flea bay ,,

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
  Print  

Jump to: