April 16, 2024, 11:49:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Clive's stupid Trike questions!  (Read 15638 times)
Clive

« on: May 10, 2016, 05:39:48 PM »

Right, having seen both Craig's, and Muffin's trikes at the weekend, my mind has been made up, my next project is going to be a trike. The only problem with this is I don't know the first thing about them. Rather than ending up with a looooong list of threads with me asking individual questions, I'll try and lump them all into here, but be warned, there'll be a LOT of them!

Having scoured the forum today (during work time Cheesy ) I've tried to answer some of them in my head but not many.

I've decided (I think) on what style I'd like. Started the day with wanting a reliant engined one, but not knowing a thing about them, the fact the engines etc are quite rare now for a good one so holding their price well, and mainly because building a frame for it scares the s**t out of me that's probably not going to happen. I want to end up with a low, mean looking hard tail style, so I reckon a bike donor will be a good place to start.

Anyhow, to the questions:

1) why do most opt for shaft drive, not chain?
2) why do most opt for reliant axles? If you start to mention ratios, you'll have to explain that also ( Cheesy ) Are there any other recommendations?
3) if it's based on a bike, what sort of tubing will be best for the hard tail?
4) hard tail will end in MSVA, yes?
5) how important is wheel size?
6) if it's bike based, would a suicide shift (with clutch lever on the change) be an option?
7) what's the easiest (and safest) way to add rake to the headstock?

There'll be lots more, I'm sure.

I've hopefully attached a couple of pics from the forum 'three wheel' section of examples of the style I like. One of which was built by our glorious leader! Cheesy
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 06:07:58 PM by Clive » Logged

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
Clive

« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2016, 05:42:16 PM »

http://i915.photobucket.com/albums/ac360/533clive/2E4F71AA-E39F-4692-9699-4465671F623A_zpsbw1b1jnc.jpg
Clive's stupid Trike questions!

http://i915.photobucket.com/albums/ac360/533clive/18D30C52-05FF-4012-9F66-FA6E91C798C9_zpssvqbing1.jpg

http://i915.photobucket.com/albums/ac360/533clive/BE03F3D6-991A-44AE-BB7E-106A50228505_zpshk5oegqj.jpg

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
Olds

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2016, 07:05:01 PM »

"OK I will jump in first, then others can tell you where I am wrong.
1. Shaft drive is usual as it's easier to connect to an easily sourced axle.
  Chain and belt drive axles are out there, but the are very expensive.

2. Reliant axles tend to get used with Reliant engined trikes as they come with the donor vehicle.
  Also because of their bolt up construction they are easily modified. Such as shortening.

3. Depends on construction and bending facilities. Cold drawn seamless of a reasonable wall thickness would be the way I would go

4. Hard tail need not end up with MSVA. If it's a bolted on rear so that it can be changed back to a bike then as long as there are no major modifications to the frame, then no MSVA.

5. Wheel size depends on the overall gearing that you wish to achieve, but with a decent size  engine you can be slightly flexible.

6. Yes, suicide shift is fine.

7. Have to say that there is no good way to rake a bike frame. Having said that, you can either shorten the top tube or lengthen the down tubes. Best way is probably to cut the headstock out completely and weld in a new one with decent gussets.

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
Olds

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2016, 07:12:22 PM »

A couple of other things to take into account. Bike based trikes tend not to have reverse. It is possible to fit a reversing box in the driveline but this adds length and the trikes you are looking at are fairly short.
Reliant axles can be converted to chain drive, but it's not recomended.

Clive

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2016, 07:48:13 PM »

You sir, are a star, thank you!!

Reverse isn't a problem at the moment. I am one of the very few on here who is still in full working order! Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy................at the moment.

So, as well as diameter of tube, wall thickness is important as well. For rigidity I assume.

If the main 'cradle' is unchanged, then can it retain its original frame number?

So how difficult is it (not for me, but for some talented person) to fabricate a chain drive rear axle?

lunatic

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2016, 08:11:39 PM »

I've seen an early reliant "banjo" axle converted to chain drive. They removed the centre of the diff housing ,its in three pieces, put spacers in place of the centre part, bolted a sprocket to the ring gear and added grease nipples to various moving parts. How well it worked or how long it lasted with grease being used rather than oil, I couldn't tell you.
Clive

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2016, 08:24:53 PM »

Thanks buddy

Olds

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2016, 08:33:11 PM »

Grin
Despite being geriatric, generally reverse isn't a problem for me either, it's just nice to have but when deliverance has 150kg of coal in the back it's definately needed. Cheesy

As you say wall thickness is important. Not only for rigidity but unless you have access to expensive tube bending facilities then the thicker the wall the easier it is to bend without the tube collapsing. That's why our frames are usually made from, not cds but thick wall steam pipe. With a bolt in rear end you should be able to do most of it in fairly straight sections and I would guess about 30mm diameter 2mm wall cds tube should be ample.
Yep. as far as I know as long as the main frame is not altered then the frame number is retained.
I wouldn't attempt to make my own chain drive axle from scratch or to be honest even convert an axle. It's just not worth the cost or potential problems. It would be easier to convert a chain drive bike to shaft drive using a bevel box. But there are so many good shaft drive bikes out there now it hardly seems worth the effort unless you have a bike already. The old way of doing it was to use an early Reliant axle, cut away some of the casing and input shaft then bolt (or weld  Shocked )a sprocket to the crown wheel of the diff. And no they didn't last long.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 08:45:22 PM by Olds » Logged

merv

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2016, 08:46:27 PM »

I will be looking forward to seeing this take shape, you go for it Clive  Smiley

Why do every five minute job take all day, and
if it can go wrong it will go wrong
Clive

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2016, 05:51:29 PM »

Right, you've all convinced me over to a shaft drive. Lots of donors on my watch list on ebay!!!

Lets have some pro's/con's for other possible axles. Seen a couple of Morris Minor/1000 one's and a couple of MGB one's also. Thoughts?
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 06:06:51 PM by Clive » Logged

Olds

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2016, 06:39:48 PM »

Morris minor axle.. It's heavy.
MGB axle..............Depending on year it's either heavy or very heavy.
 MGB axles come in two basic types, banjo or tube. The tube ones would be easier to modify.

Depending on gearing Bedford Rascal (Suzuki Super Carry) might be a good one.

Before you get into buying an axle you need to know roughly what sort of ratio that you need. To do this you need to know the drive ratio in the rear wheel of the donor bike and the relative circumferances  of the bike tyre to the tyre you want on the trike.

Clive

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2016, 06:42:17 PM »

Okey dokey o great one!! Thanks buddy Cheesy

morrag

Carpe diem!

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2016, 06:55:06 PM »

If you can find one of these it gives you the option of a motor with chain final drive to Reliant, or similar! rear axle, but they are quite rare now, Morrag

Beware the Ides of March, But!
spanners

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2016, 07:13:55 PM »

not seen one of them in a good while  but if needs be i back in an area wheres thers a few bike breakers  so could ask around  Wink Wink

LIVE FAST  and  DIE YOUNG,,  past 50 AND STILL HERE  NOW. WAITING. FOR. THE. GRIM. REAPER
mrhutch

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2016, 08:34:22 PM »

Great Minds Clive....  Great Minds..

Hello All, I'm a regular lurker, joined august last year to lurk around the trike threads and love this place!

I'm embarking on the same idea - I built/finished my current trike and now I have the urge to build a manky reliant.  I have most of the same questions as you Clive.

Here's my current trike (now for sale to fund the next build)

Suzuki GSX 750 EF with the same XS1100 bevel box as above

http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc399/mrhutchT3/tricycle/2015-04-18%2020.15.27_zpsoeul5il1.jpg

http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc399/mrhutchT3/tricycle/2015-05-31%2018.28.06_zpsntxemlce.jpg

I have loved riding it, but I really want a manky style reliant..  more of a cruiser.  I get on this and my brain tells me I'm 20 again and should be drifting round corners.  Not good..

sorry for the mini HiJack but am following this and will start my own thread in the fullness...
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: