March 29, 2024, 08:48:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Ignition barrel  (Read 1741 times)
hornet6

« on: May 14, 2018, 07:07:48 PM »

Hi. Is it possible to use any type of ignition switch, so long as it has the same amount of wires as the original. My diversion build uses 6 wires for the ignition on the loom. If I buy a standard diversion ignition, it comes with all the steering lock mechanism, which I don't really need. Or, I can buy an ignition switch for a kwaka ke 100 which has 6 wires, no lock on the bottom and is a third of the price. Is it a no brainer ?   

no projects ever finished
minimutly

« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2018, 10:25:32 PM »

Ahh, it's not that simple. If the original had lock/off(key removable), on, and park(key removable), then the replacement switch needs the same. If the new switch doesn't have these modes you will have to modify the wiring.
My trike is us spec, and the switch had been replaced with a uk one, with the park mode wiring missing (even though the switch had a park position. It meant I had to wire the hazards (and because they were connected) the indicators available all the time. Took me a while to work out what was going on since the previous owner had bodged it...
hornet6

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2018, 08:34:06 PM »

Thanks for the advice. The problem is, is I want to locate the ignition switch under the seat in a separate electrical container. So theres no need for the original one as its to big and cumbersome.

no projects ever finished
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: