March 29, 2024, 06:38:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  
Author Topic: The London Museum of Water & Steam  (Read 24376 times)
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #45 on: March 07, 2016, 09:20:13 PM »

Yeah, they're building a new development of flats right next door. I saw photos of the gas storage tanks.
I was there on a drizzly day in early March -there were maybe 2 dozen people in the whole place, so I could wander around at my leisure. I'm sure it gets a lot busier in the Summer & judging from the educational exhibits, probably gets a lot of school trips & foreign students. Entry was something like a tenner, (I paid by card & didn't actually pay attention to the price), but parking was free, though only room for about 20 cars. Nice little café with proper home made food & a nice cup of tea. I could happily have stayed there all day, just watching the engines turning. I thoroughly enjoyed it -one of those hidden little gems that are all over the place in London. Well worth a visit if you're in the big city.
Nice pub next door too.  Smiley

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Baychimp

« Reply #46 on: March 07, 2016, 09:42:47 PM »

There used to be two more pubs across the road, but sadly both knocked down now. Just up the road from there if you head towards Brentford is the The Musical Museum. It houses one of the best collections of self playing musical instruments in the world.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #47 on: March 07, 2016, 09:59:09 PM »

Yup, that one's on my list for a future rainy day.

JayJay

« Reply #48 on: March 07, 2016, 10:31:03 PM »

Mock-up of a sewer, with an image of flowing water projected onto the floor, complete with swimming eels & crayfish. Quite surreal.

Is this why eating eels or crayfish is not really a good idea. I expected you to mention more than that floating along!  Lips Sealed

The secret of eternal youth is arrested development - Alice Roosevelt Longworth
If there is love, smallpox scars are as pretty as dimples - Japanese proverb
Laziness is nothing more than the habit of resting before you get tired - Jules Renard
Mendalot

« Reply #49 on: March 08, 2016, 12:11:11 PM »

Was the main beam engine in steam?  I can remember watching one of the chaps in boiler suits working hard with levers and valves to get the thing going first thing in the morning, it is quite a task, but sounds luvverly when standing in the vicinity of the condensing cylinder. As you say one of the little jewels of London.

Another worth a visit is the steam room in Tower Bridge.

Precision Guesswork ......... What else do you need?
Tony oily bike

« Reply #50 on: March 08, 2016, 05:52:59 PM »

Visited the Kew pumping station about 11 years ago (when I had to 'kidnap' my mate Dslam so his better half could organise a 'surprise' party), brilliant place, loads to see, including the huge beam engine.

Recommended viewing  Wink

http://www.steamandcountrycam.co.uk/photo-detail/kew-bridge-pumping-station-and-british-engineerium-31-01-2011/opus/111/

There's nowt as light as a hole, so add lightness.

Our lady of blessed acceleration, don't fail me now! - Elwood Blues

Nitro doesn't add power, it multiplies it! Bob Loux, running 10.07 secs @138mph on a 650 normally aspirated Triumph drag bike in 1965!

"Incontinence Hotline" - please hold.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #51 on: March 08, 2016, 08:18:40 PM »

No, the main beam wasn't running, but all the smaller ones were. Real poetry in motion.
I went along to one of the Kempton steam days last year. Another building I've passed a million times, but didn't know what was inside it until I visited. Well worth checking out.

Tony oily bike

« Reply #52 on: March 09, 2016, 12:17:10 PM »

No, the main beam wasn't running, but all the smaller ones were. Real poetry in motion.
I went along to one of the Kempton steam days last year. Another building I've passed a million times, but didn't know what was inside it until I visited. Well worth checking out.

Went there a few years ago, brilliant  Grin

http://www.kemptonsteam.org/

Here is the 2016 Events Listing http://www.kemptonsteam.org/visit-us/opening-times/

There's nowt as light as a hole, so add lightness.

Our lady of blessed acceleration, don't fail me now! - Elwood Blues

Nitro doesn't add power, it multiplies it! Bob Loux, running 10.07 secs @138mph on a 650 normally aspirated Triumph drag bike in 1965!

"Incontinence Hotline" - please hold.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  

Jump to: