April 19, 2024, 12:44:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
  Print  
Author Topic: Mankys V8  (Read 24626 times)
the coppersmith

« on: February 02, 2016, 08:26:22 PM »

Our leader donated his old V8 to me and its been gratefully received. Started pulling it to bits and started an inventory of all the bits that came with it. Rover V8, 3 battered pistons but still going up and down, 4 rusty bores see first comment, still moving. 2 Cylinder heads complete with valves and springs, 2 very good rocker covers, timing chain and water pump cover and oil pump. Bag of bolts etc. I'm on a winner here I think  Cheesy Ahh? 10 pushrods, 24 rockers, 3 shafts and 14 cam followers. Well, beggars cant be choosers, any body got some old V8 bits they could help an old pensioner get going  Wink
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2016, 09:03:18 PM »

Cheesy We drove 4 1/2 thousand miles on that engine in 2013, before swapping it for a newer model. It's been sat outside in a puddle of mud in the rain for quite a while though, so I'm quite impressed that it still turns Smiley
That's a 1979 SD1 engine. The water pump & front chain casing are from a later Discovery engine -the one in my truck now. I had to swap them because the hose outlets were in different places. Otherwise, they're interchangeable.
My new motor has the cam from a 3.9 Discovery. According to the owners forums it's a straight swap & gives a little extra oomph -the equivalent of an aftermarket "fast road" cam but much cheaper.
Real Steel in London will sell everything you need, but they're not cheap. Have fun! Smiley

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
spanners

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2016, 10:16:53 PM »

Our leader donated his old V8 to me and its been gratefully received. Started pulling it to bits and started an inventory of all the bits that came with it. Rover V8, 3 battered pistons but still going up and down, 4 rusty bores see first comment, still moving. 2 Cylinder heads complete with valves and springs, 2 very good rocker covers, timing chain and water pump cover and oil pump. Bag of bolts etc. I'm on a winner                                                                                                                                                                                                , any body got some old V8 bits they could help an old pensioner get going  Wink
[/quote ]   

YEP, i know where there is one  and possibly a couple of scruffy inlet manifolds with carbs (if they havnt been chucked yet )

LIVE FAST  and  DIE YOUNG,,  past 50 AND STILL HERE  NOW. WAITING. FOR. THE. GRIM. REAPER
the coppersmith

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2016, 11:57:04 AM »

Got bored, so I started cleaning
the coppersmith

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2016, 11:58:05 AM »

These are now all in bits
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2016, 06:58:22 PM »

So what's the verdict?

spanners

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2016, 06:59:55 PM »

So what's the verdict?

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ITS,, BEEN ,,,MONKEY,,EEEEDDDD,,,, Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

LIVE FAST  and  DIE YOUNG,,  past 50 AND STILL HERE  NOW. WAITING. FOR. THE. GRIM. REAPER
the coppersmith

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2016, 07:53:56 PM »

The verdict is..... it'll live !! Tomorrow plan to flash over the head and block and weld up the damage to the three pistons and spin them off. Sounds easy dont it  Cheesy Spent a bit today on new gasket set. Bearings etc. are in very good condition, cam is 50/50. Need a cam follower and a new timing chain. Bores have honed up very good and are well in tolerance. The damage to No.3 piston coincides with a bent inlet valve, its not closing, spun it in the lathe and tapped it back square but the guide is still very tight in places, new valve needed.
The rest is just nuts and bolts.
carbs and inlet donated by another friend, its coming along nicely  Cheesy Cheesy
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2016, 08:29:59 PM »

Considering it's around 37 years old & has been sitting outside Loon's workshop in a puddle of mud all Winter, that's not bad at all Smiley

the coppersmith

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2016, 04:03:36 PM »

its coming along now  Cool
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2016, 07:59:47 PM »

Bugger -that looks better than the one I replaced it with!

the coppersmith

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2016, 08:43:18 AM »

Waiting on a few essentials, just stored it all together, loosely. Now looking for flywheel and front pulley, but I have time, no rush. Got to fit that Pinto and gearbox yet, been putting it off for to long. You all know what its like  Grin
the coppersmith

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2016, 07:45:51 PM »

Camshaft turned up today with the new followers, but no timing chain Bother ! Plus I forgot the cam lube? Still, no panic, mustn't rush these things, still have not decided what it is going in to yet, Talbot Sunbeam, Humber Sceptre, Morris thou Huh or my Sierra pick up project  Shocked
spanners

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2016, 08:00:15 PM »

Camshaft turned up today with the new followers, but no timing chain Bother ! Plus I forgot the cam lube? Still, no panic, mustn't rush these things, still have not decided what it is going in to yet, Talbot Sunbeam, Humber Sceptre, Morris thou Huh or my Sierra pick up project  Shocked

,,,dutton sierra,,,,  ?

the coppersmith

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2016, 08:20:12 PM »

Yep, just took delivery. Not much to look at, yet. Plus there is the Jago Jeep V8 I'm helping with. So the plan is Huh? Cheesy
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
  Print  

Jump to: