May 01, 2024, 10:00:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12
  Print  
Author Topic: Scratch built car  (Read 52732 times)
No Sound

« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2015, 09:16:19 PM »

continued
No Sound

« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2015, 08:33:39 PM »

The plan was to buy an XJS windscreen and seal, fit the seal to the windscreen and then build a frame to fit the profile of the windscreen/seal.
Anyway the aftermarket seal was too big for the windscreen so I checked the seal specification with the supplier who told me the seal is normally big on the glass (50mm) but not on the frame, two piece seal you see (I got a refund)
So I went to the scrappy to get a frame, once at the scrappy I found out that the windscreen wiper mechanism is a lift out unit that fits into the front valance (great stuff) so why not just cut out the windscreen frame and quarter of the bulk head. Then I look at the roof and thought why not. The scrappy man was a bit confused.
No Sound

« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2015, 08:49:20 PM »

Trial fit of the roof. Always intended changing the intake and twin carbs setup for a lower intake and a single carb. But with roof in the position of the bulkhead is to far back in relation to the door openings and were the door seal edges need to be extended from the chassis onto the Jag frame/roof. So I need to change the distributor and make a new bulkhead so the bulkhead can be moved forward and sit over the distributor and up against the single carb. 
markju

« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2015, 09:02:51 AM »

I'll bet the scrapyard guy was confused. Lucky really that you've got a scrapyard where you can still do that sort of thing. Most of the old fashioned scrappies where you can rummage for yourself have disappeared around here at least. It's all removed cleaned and sold on for a lot more now. H&S killed a lot of it, balancing two or three cars on top of each other. Fun days Smiley
No Sound

« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2015, 08:04:57 PM »

I'll bet the scrapyard guy was confused. Lucky really that you've got a scrapyard where you can still do that sort of thing. Most of the old fashioned scrappies where you can rummage for yourself have disappeared around here at least. It's all removed cleaned and sold on for a lot more now. H&S killed a lot of it, balancing two or three cars on top of each other. Fun days Smiley

Agree with you but this was some business repairing jaguars and taking them apart for parts. I was in a second yard with 20 odd old xjs and xj6 the scrapyard guy was great giving me a power cable form the grinder. I had to cut the bulkhead from the inside because of the engine. Andy   
No Sound

« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2015, 08:06:06 PM »

Cut away all the old bulkhead just leaving the top panel and the fixing holes for the windscreen motor. Also put a semi-circular cut the top of the panel for the air filter this let me move the bulkhead forwards by 20mm.

No Sound

« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2015, 08:06:47 PM »

continued
No Sound

« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2015, 08:13:19 PM »

Some machining was required to level up the carb, 2 degrees off a 5 degree wedge (cheers Iain) and I had to machine a spacer to raise the air filter bottom plate up by 7mm.

No Sound

« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2015, 08:14:06 PM »

continued

No Sound

« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2015, 09:10:14 PM »

Trial fit of the roof. Always intended changing the intake and twin carbs setup for a lower intake and a single carb. But with roof on the position of the bulkhead is to far back in relation to the door openings and were the door seal edges need to be extended from the chassis onto the Jag frame/roof. So I need to change the distributor and make a new bulkhead so the bulkhead can be moved forward and sit over the distributor and up against the single carb. 
No Sound

« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2015, 09:11:14 PM »

Continued
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2015, 02:27:47 PM »

I was wondering how this was coming along.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Tony oily bike

« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2015, 07:29:15 AM »

Gotta say what an interesting build........... nice write up and good photos too!

Maybe a little late, but welcome to the world of the Manky Monkeys!

There's nowt as light as a hole, so add lightness.

Our lady of blessed acceleration, don't fail me now! - Elwood Blues

Nitro doesn't add power, it multiplies it! Bob Loux, running 10.07 secs @138mph on a 650 normally aspirated Triumph drag bike in 1965!

"Incontinence Hotline" - please hold.
No Sound

« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2015, 09:42:20 AM »

I was wondering how this was coming along.

I needed some sun after this so called summer, sorry to say i am back.
No Sound

« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2015, 09:42:53 AM »

Gotta say what an interesting build........... nice write up and good photos too!

Maybe a little late, but welcome to the world of the Manky Monkeys!

Cheers Andy
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12
  Print  

Jump to: