April 16, 2024, 09:07:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 28
  Print  
Author Topic: Stinkeys trike ?  (Read 104776 times)
Olds

« Reply #315 on: August 09, 2018, 07:55:10 AM »

Remember to check your wheel rim width is suitable for the size of tyre. There is a tyre size/rim chart I added, at the top of the  Bike Tech section. Most sidecar tyres are for reasonably wide rims.

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
stinkey

I can't stop building stuff ?,but I'm slowing down

« Reply #316 on: August 09, 2018, 08:10:34 AM »

The rims I've got are both the same  Cool

Backyard hotrodder,learnt by mistake,still learning ?
the coppersmith

« Reply #317 on: August 09, 2018, 09:09:29 AM »

cracking monster there, love it, well done. Love it when a plan comes together.  Grin Grin
terry t

« Reply #318 on: August 09, 2018, 02:16:31 PM »

It looks good. i like the wide wheel they set it off. If your running on a 19" front wheel have a look a the avon cobra trike tyre. any wat you done well to get it msva tested and dvla registered that quick.
stinkey

« Reply #319 on: August 09, 2018, 07:18:24 PM »

Cheers guys ..been checking and retightening nuts and bolts..and purchased some new nylock nuts for the rockers on the springer..and also changed the front tyre..

stinkey

« Reply #320 on: August 09, 2018, 07:22:52 PM »

Which is taller/wider and chunkier so hopefully I will see a positive difference once I get back out on it ? I was just starting to relax and get into the groove last night on my way home.. Cool

Olds

« Reply #321 on: August 09, 2018, 08:00:22 PM »

Changing mine resulted in slightly heavier steering but that was a small price to pay for the massive increase in front end grip, especially in the wet.
All you can do is try it and see how it feels.

BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #322 on: August 09, 2018, 09:11:29 PM »

Play with tyre pressures, it takes a while but eventually you find what works for you.  Also you get used to trike riding!  When a mechanic took it for a test ride after working on it he came back and asked me 'how the heck do you get round corners on this?' - I was kind of surprised till I thought abbout it.  That was before I had my lovely new extended yokes and wider bars.....

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
stinkey

« Reply #323 on: August 09, 2018, 09:19:11 PM »

BG..I'm listening to all this advice..and I really am surprised at how easy it does handle..apparently it's raining tomorrow ? So I may have to wait for my next chance..I'm a fair weather rider nowadays  Grin

Olds

« Reply #324 on: August 09, 2018, 09:32:49 PM »

When it's raining is the perfect time to explore the handling and braking limits of your new trike.  Grin
Heavy traffic, pouring rain, going too fast onto a roundabout. When combined, these are the things that really make your heart beat a bit quicker.

BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #325 on: August 09, 2018, 11:05:26 PM »

Oh yeah, had a few exciting moments drifting roundabouts in the wet!

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
minimutly

« Reply #326 on: August 09, 2018, 11:50:00 PM »

I can spin up the inside rear wheel on tight corners and roundabouts no problem. I can't make the front slide for any money though.
stinkey

« Reply #327 on: August 10, 2018, 07:22:58 AM »

Had my fill of heavy rain /snow/fog/traffic as a motorbike courier in London while doing the knowledge at the same time thanks Huh But tbh my main reason is my electrics..Martin the sparky was going to come back and fit waterproof plugs etc..but apparently he's retired and won't do anymore work? And I'd only fitted a temporary switch cover(s) ready for him for easy access ? Embarrassed

stinkey

« Reply #328 on: August 16, 2018, 07:01:58 AM »

Just a small update..since changing the front tyre..the gremlins have been hard at work Huh
I decided to put some Antifreeze in the engine..which was premixed 50/50..replaced the bolts on the risers,filled up the tank, the thing just won't run right? Shocked Very rich..engine got hot very quickly..turns out the engine doesn't like a 50/50 mix..so I drained some out and replaced water..amazing difference  Smiley
But still running erratically..hunting..so tried adjusting all the carb settings..got it ticking over reasonably ok?
Time for a test run..put it in gear..didn't want to move?
Bit more revs..and slowly manoeuvred it out the front..around the car park area..doesn't like it..pressed the brake pedal Shocked nothing happened..pump,pump..phew! Brakes..obviously air is still in the system?
So I'm fitting a separate front brake m/c..and will just have the foot pedal for the rear..

And rear oil bearing in the gearbox was leaking..so I'm not a happy bunny Cry
Mr MM gave me the number of a chap who runs a classic car tuning company..they said they can sort out the carburettor problem..not cheap..but I'm thinking it's the best thing..chatting to one of the guys who helped push the trike home..he said he would have done it for me? But seeing has he lives in Durham ?
« Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 07:05:11 AM by stinkey » Logged

Olds

« Reply #329 on: August 16, 2018, 07:55:00 AM »

Most anti freeze has a lower heat transfer rate than plain water, but even if it's never going to freeze some is needed as a corrosion inhibitor. Think I used a mix of about 20/80.
The gearbox output seal is easy enough to replace but you may find wear/corrosion on the output flange. If you are lucky (I was) this can be polished out, otherwise it's either a new flange or have the existing one sleeved.
Personally  I think a separate brake system for the front is a good idea as it gives far more control.
 As My gear change is on the right (and I've had problems with my right hand) I used a Harley clutch master cylinder for the front brakes. Luckily this was the right size for my twin disc system.
Good luck with sorting it out.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 08:02:49 AM by Olds » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 28
  Print  

Jump to: