March 28, 2024, 07:09:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: SSR Wheels Day 3rd April '15  (Read 14574 times)
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« on: January 31, 2015, 08:37:08 PM »

Good Friday bank holiday.
Surrey Street Rodders' 41st Wheels Day show.
Back at it's regular venue of Rushmoor Arena, Aldershot, Surrey.

Pre entry only for the first time with a 500 car limit -no show vehicle entry on the day.
No dogs on site.
For many it's the big show season opener. See you there.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
terry t

« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2015, 07:21:58 PM »

Just got email saying I can get in with the trike Cheesy
Baychimp

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2015, 07:24:43 PM »

Have you pre entered the Pop Andy.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2015, 08:01:03 PM »

Congratulations Tel.
I sent the email to the address they advertised, but they didn't send any confirmation that they'd received it -so I think I entered.
No word from them this evening, so either I didn't get in or I'll be in the 2nd batch of 250 cars they'll announce later.

To be perfectly honest, I'm not that bothered. We did the show once in the Pop -it's maiden voyage actually, & it'd be nice to do it again, but if it doesn't make the cut, there's plenty of other events to go to. I'd still go to Wheels Day, but just as a normal punter.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 08:08:32 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Tony oily bike

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2015, 06:54:29 PM »

Have been popping along as a 'normal' ( Roll Eyes) punter since the 70's when it was at the cattle market in Slyfiled Green. I used to go to this, mates used to go the Transatlantic bike races at Brands, that was pre M25 days.

There's nowt as light as a hole, so add lightness.

Our lady of blessed acceleration, don't fail me now! - Elwood Blues

Nitro doesn't add power, it multiplies it! Bob Loux, running 10.07 secs @138mph on a 650 normally aspirated Triumph drag bike in 1965!

"Incontinence Hotline" - please hold.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2015, 07:43:28 PM »

Got the confirmation email from the organisers this morning, so yup, we're going.
I've been going, & taking various bikes, trikes & Morris Minors, for 30 years or so & remember one year in particular at Slyfield when it lashed down with rain all day & there weren't more than 50 cars there at any one time, with owners huddled inside them, peering out at the weather.
I know they need to reduce numbers to a more manageable level & cut out the mundane vehicles that no-one wants to pay money to see, & the SSR are friends, (they were our local club when Tazet & I lived together in Guildford & always invited us to their events), plus they're obviously raising a huge amount of money for charity, but I must admit a little voice in the back of my head keeps saying I don't want to go to a car show that requires me to apply in writing in advance for permission to go. Kinda runs against the ethos of the whole thing to me. I really enjoy driving my truck, wherever I'm going & there's plenty of other places to go.
-yeah, I'm sure we'll be there.

terry t

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2015, 05:57:48 PM »

I have heard that you can just turn up and if your vehicle is suitable they will let you in.  Huh.
Andy you say about pre booking. well there starting that at Basingstoke festival of Transport they what reg and insurance info.
Still this is my first time.  will go and see. been told its a good day out
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2015, 07:07:40 PM »

Yeah, that's true Tel.
It all just sounds a bit officious -phrases like Your application will be terminated if you don't pay for your pass in 7 days, just immediately make me think Well maybe I'll just go somewhere else then, or cruise around the Basingstoke ring road, or stay at home.
I know it has to be regulated, but suspect they're struggling a bit with the PR at the moment. I see they've said there's still time to apply, (What are you waiting for, Easter? -a phrase which also instantly annoyed me), so maybe they haven't reached 500 show vehicles yet? How much is it to enter? Don't think I've actually seen a price yet. Should the show vehicles be paying, seeing as there wouldn't be a show without them? They say payment must be made by Paypal within 7 days -what if you don't have a Paypal account?
I'm not normally so nit-picky about these things & they do put on a good event, but something about the way this one's been presented just irritates me. Don't know why.

terry t

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2015, 07:25:27 PM »

Yeah, that's true Tel.
It all just sounds a bit officious -phrases like Your application will be terminated if you don't pay for your pass in 7 days, just immediately make me think Well maybe I'll just go somewhere else then, or cruise around the Basingstoke ring road, or stay at home.
I know it has to be regulated, but suspect they're struggling a bit with the PR at the moment. I see they've said there's still time to apply, (What are you waiting for, Easter? -a phrase which also instantly annoyed me), so maybe they haven't reached 500 show vehicles yet? How much is it to enter? Don't think I've actually seen a price yet. Should the show vehicles be paying, seeing as there wouldn't be a show without them? They say payment must be made by Paypal within 7 days -what if you don't have a Paypal account?
I'm not normally so nit-picky about these things & they do put on a good event, but something about the way this one's been presented just irritates me. Don't know why.
Fair comment.
kapri

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2015, 08:23:22 PM »

Totally opposite view from me ( sorry). Last year was the 40th , they coudl have knocked it on the head and walked away without a backwards glance ...indeed had I been on the receiving end of what was aimed at them I would have done !

If it was to continue it had to be brought down to a more managable size  which meant goig back to Rushmoor and the Police , Council and MOD were never going to allow that to happen without major changes, hence the pre-entry position we have now.

Yup, some of the wording sound a bit officious and could have been better thought out , agreed.

The main question is would we rather have this event with pre-entry or lose it entirely ?

Other shows NOT pre-entry ? Try Pendine, Hayride, Hipsville, Trip out without pre-entering, indeed even the Basingstoke show ?Wink

kapri

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2015, 08:24:25 PM »

I have heard that you can just turn up and if your vehicle is suitable they will let you in.  Huh.
Andy you say about pre booking. well there starting that at Basingstoke festival of Transport they what reg and insurance info.

That's from those who haven't kept up to date Terry.
terry t

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2015, 09:57:02 PM »

That's from those who haven't kept up to date Terry.

You got a pass Kev.
Chevy Rick

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2015, 10:59:41 PM »

Cheesy I have had conformation of acceptance to Wheels Day, but I don't think a lot of thought has gone into the cause of the congested roads around Rushmore arena that has been a problem in the past, the general public are more of a cause rather than the show cars, so I wonder if they are going to limit the amount of visitors to the show HuhHuh I think not, having never been caught in the queues to get in I can only go by other folk that have voiced their thoughts on this, on leaving the show late afternoon I have all ways been amazed just how far away from the arena people have parked and walked in, we shall see. Undecided
kapri

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2015, 08:53:19 AM »

Hi Terry, yup, will be there in my A pick up.

Rick, they have to start somewhere and they don't have any control over the public but they have to be seen to be trying to do something about it. At least if they get the pre-entered cars straight in ( ie no waiting for payment etc) then any queues should at least start later.  Non of it is ideal , ideal ( for many) would be Dunsfold with professional organisation etc  ...or would it ? To me it is the fact it is the SSR who put it on that make it a 'must do' for me.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2015, 12:26:10 PM »

Agree with you on all counts Kev -as I said, they're friends & they're doing something I wouldn't even attempt, but if their PR's enough to put off long standing attendees like me, then maybe they need to look a little closer at the announcements they put out. Trying to be constructive.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: