April 19, 2024, 10:55:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 89
  Print  
Author Topic: New Olds (boat tail speedster)  (Read 398654 times)
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #360 on: February 10, 2015, 07:30:47 PM »

Yeah, but his are working now & I'm jealous.  Sad

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Olds

« Reply #361 on: February 11, 2015, 09:14:47 AM »

What! I've been building mine for 5 or 6 years & haven't got working lights at the moment!
Think it may be nearer 8 years but who's counting  Wink
 I was only checking the bulbs worked. Lights are now packed away in a growing pile of parts boxes. Bits are bought when a good deal comes up rather than to any build schedule. Keeping costs to a minimum.

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #362 on: February 11, 2015, 09:56:29 AM »

Think it may be nearer 8 years but who's counting   Angry

Olds

« Reply #363 on: February 12, 2015, 02:02:08 PM »

Considering going for a scuttle /firewall mounted fuel tank  Undecided
Worked out that I have room for a 5 gallon tank mounted on the top of the scuttle. This would mean that a fuel pump would not be needed though a fuel tap might be a good idea. Foam filled for safety obviously and to stop sloshing.
Apart from it being a pig to make, putting extra weight over the front axle, a raising the C.of G. slightly. Are there any other reasons why this is another dumb idea ?

kapri

« Reply #364 on: February 12, 2015, 06:38:03 PM »

Ford did it with the Model A . My old man showed me the scars on his hands from pulling burning wiring out from underneath his Model A dash one night but could just as easily happen with a rear mounted tank.
morrag

Carpe diem!

« Reply #365 on: February 12, 2015, 07:36:36 PM »

I'm using both on my "3" Olds, 11/2 gallon cylindrical S/S tank on the scuttle, gravity feed, and another vertically mounted cylindrical M/S tank at the rear, with fuel pump,both converted extinguishers,  why you may ask? no idea, but seemed like a good idea at the time! Grin Grin, as an aside, one of my earliest cars, a '32 Austin 7, had a scuttle mounted gravity feed tank, for whatever relevance that may be! Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh..Morrag

Beware the Ides of March, But!
Olds

« Reply #366 on: February 17, 2015, 04:23:42 PM »

More thinking required on the tank I think.
While waiting for the sheets of aluminium to arrive, I thought it best to finish off the tail section. The modified bonnet was a bit short and had the wrong profile for behind the seats. Tried to infill using a single piece but it did not go well. Sad Second attempt using two long sections and a small centre section worked .
Front  is welded to 8mm dia rod to give a safe and neat edge. Centre section still to be welded in. Getting fed up of compound curves. Luckily the rest of the bodywork curves mostly in single planes except for some of the scuttle area and where the body meets the tail section plus some small detail work.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 04:55:06 PM by Olds » Logged

poprodder

« Reply #367 on: February 17, 2015, 05:02:34 PM »

Think it may be nearer 8 years but who's counting   Angry

lol!!!!!

Olds

« Reply #368 on: March 05, 2015, 09:40:48 PM »

Actual progress has been non existent due to having a few small styling issues.
The radiator is pushing the grill shell a couple of inches further forward than I would like, so I am contemplating side mounting it. The steering box is really messing up the shape of the front frame cover on the RH side. It sits on top of the side rail quite close to the front, meaning the covers will have to be quite tall with a rounded front, tapering back towards the firewall (a bit like the root profile of a wing). Will get it mocked out in cardboard before cutting any aluminium.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #369 on: March 06, 2015, 09:29:34 AM »

Not making a front cover panel ahead of the grille Dave? -like Adey Smith's Pendine special at Buckland automotive, (one of the guys we went to Holland with).

Olds

« Reply #370 on: March 06, 2015, 09:53:37 AM »

Yep, that's the sort of thing. But I was planning on dropping the top of the centre down to follow the bottom of the rad. Not sure about that though.

Olds

« Reply #371 on: March 10, 2015, 09:55:27 PM »

Other vehicles are holding up this project but had time today to make the former for the front frame covers. Cut from 19mm ply with radiused top/front edges. For making just two panels ply should be ok. The short piece is a clamping block to keep the aluminium flat while knocking over the tighter curve at the front.
At some point I am going to have to make some louver formers. Well actually a lot of formers as I want graduated louvers for the tapered bonnet side and top panels.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 10:05:34 PM by Olds » Logged

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #372 on: March 10, 2015, 11:20:50 PM »

You know if you build a louvre press, Loony's gonna want to louvre everything don't you Dave?!

Olds

« Reply #373 on: March 11, 2015, 06:28:40 AM »

Cheesy
Not planning on making a press. Just a series of hardwood formers to do them by hand.

Olds

« Reply #374 on: March 12, 2015, 01:39:43 PM »

A productive morning  Smiley
Got my daughters car MOT done and still managed to get the front, frame cover sides made.

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 89
  Print  

Jump to: