March 28, 2024, 12:58:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 89
  Print  
Author Topic: New Olds (boat tail speedster)  (Read 397416 times)
panthershaun

« Reply #135 on: October 01, 2014, 11:08:49 AM »

sounds like a plan with the body work, rivet's and overlap.. just like an old plane  Grin and I'd happily trade you your bad back for my complete lack of motivation sir, doing my head in completely not being able to get interested in stuff that has been my passion for over 35 years  Angry

you ain't it, till you've "Bobbed" a Brit!!!
Olds

« Reply #136 on: October 01, 2014, 02:58:16 PM »

I'm not suffering from lack of motivation Shaun, just an abundance of indecision.
Lots of scraping of old paint and what appears to be solidified waxoil from the chassis and then coating with rust converter where it's not clean metal. Doing it bit at a time as it's so tedious. The new front lever arm dampers that had been fitted are wrong and the chassis butchered to make them fit. Found a matched pair of old ones in the box of bits that will fit properly but the arms were  1.5" too long, so out with the angle grinder and welder. Scarf jointed and v butt prepped they should be fine. Cleaned drained and filled with fresh oil they work perfectly. Will have to make new drop links from rose joints, as originals are not available.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 03:55:57 PM by Olds » Logged

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #137 on: October 01, 2014, 07:50:50 PM »

"Scarf jointed"?

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Olds

« Reply #138 on: October 01, 2014, 08:33:53 PM »

An odd phrase.

Olds

« Reply #139 on: October 02, 2014, 07:25:55 PM »

Cash is naturally in short supply for any build, so not willing to shell out £80 + for a starter motor, I bought one on evil bay for 99p + P&P (£10) A bit of a gamble, but despite being made in 1963 and looking rough, turns out to be in really excellent condition, just needing a good strip down, clean and repaint.  Smiley
Have made a start on the body to chassis rails. These may take a while as they have to exactly follow the line of the chassis rails which bow out and also kick up at both ends.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 07:30:48 PM by Olds » Logged

phunkie hiboy

« Reply #140 on: October 02, 2014, 08:29:11 PM »

Will have to make new drop links from rose joints, as originals are not available.

Plenty available, different sizes, from Moss. Just got to find the right length/application.

Built without compromise, by the more luck than judgment method.
Olds

« Reply #141 on: October 02, 2014, 09:02:09 PM »

Thanks. Yep tried them. Looks like the drop links for the front were peculiar to the Morris eight series E (37-49) and the Wolseley version. Think the MG that shared the body had a different suspension set up. The nearest I can find that 'might' fit, are early Sherpa and they would need cutting and welding to change the angles and length. I will still look for a pair of the correct type.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2014, 08:13:02 AM by Olds » Logged

kapri

« Reply #142 on: October 02, 2014, 10:07:15 PM »

Will have to make new drop links from rose joints, as originals are not available.

Plenty available, different sizes, from Moss. Just got to find the right length/application.

Handy info Chris, need to get some for my levers ,ta Smiley
Olds

« Reply #143 on: October 04, 2014, 07:52:19 AM »

Body to chassis rails nearly finished. Made a J section. The idea being that it's lighter and easier to bolt down than box, stronger than angle, easy to rivet through using solid rivets and the top edge being rolled over will not crease the alloy body panels. The whole body tub will be fixed to the chassis by six bolts each side through these rails.
Well that's the general idea anyway Smiley
Never sure how much detail to go into in these posts, but as there's not a lot else going on in HotRod Tech at the moment, I will carry on as work progresses.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2014, 09:19:10 AM by Olds » Logged

Dslam

Wot ho chaps, its bloody Whitworth!!

« Reply #144 on: October 04, 2014, 11:09:58 AM »

I don't post much on here but I watch the builds.
I am building a blown Triumph 'historic' drag bike at the moment from scratch and I find lots of stuff from other peoples builds that I can take away and use or adapt so keep up the posts as there are more people interested than you may realise! Roll Eyes
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #145 on: October 04, 2014, 01:18:36 PM »

That's definitely true Andy. I get feed back from time to time from readers who never post, but drop in daily/weekly/whatever to check progress on their favourite builds. We're all here because we like building stuff, so your audience is already interested before you start Dave. Nothing new to report on my own hotrod build at the moment, (just endlessly adding filler & sanding it smooth, (ish), so keep up the good work chap.  Wink

Mendalot

« Reply #146 on: October 04, 2014, 07:40:24 PM »

There is nothing quite as interesting as poking your nose into another engineers workshop and keeping abreast of what he is up to ......... so I say :- GOD BLESS THE INTERNET and sites like this Cheesy  Keep it coming boys.

Precision Guesswork ......... What else do you need?
Olds

« Reply #147 on: October 04, 2014, 09:20:32 PM »

Thanks for that. Will keep on posting as and when progress is made.
Trying to get into a different mind-set. It's supposed to be a very basic, Brooklands inspired two seater, with a bit of a twist. But I find myself doing things like smoothing out welds that wont even show. Roll Eyes
New mantra. Keep it simple, basic and minimal.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2014, 09:57:48 PM by Olds » Logged

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #148 on: October 04, 2014, 10:23:27 PM »

Ha! I'm not the only one then!

Olds

« Reply #149 on: October 06, 2014, 08:46:46 PM »

Angry Spent the day trying to make a hoop for behind the seats, that matches rear end (reshaped bonnet). Got very close but no cigar and started to get frustrated Sad
Think it best if I move on to one of the many other things that need doing, then come back to it another time.

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 89
  Print  

Jump to: