April 27, 2024, 08:53:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 89
  Print  
Author Topic: New Olds (boat tail speedster)  (Read 399429 times)
No Sound

« Reply #705 on: September 28, 2015, 11:43:30 AM »

Not needed here, but spring steel can be re hardened then tempered by heat treatment. Ideally the spring should be annealed, formed then heat treated.

The spring leaves had rusted together, stopping them from sliding over each other, causing them to form a solid block. They had also sagged due to holding the weight of the car for almost 70 years. But the leaves still had plenty of "spring" to them
By carefully re bending each leaf slightly past the spring back point, moving back a forth along the leaf, to get to the desired shape, it is possible to cold re arch the spring. I used the hydraulic pipe bender for this.
Once cleaned, painted, lubricated, and with new bushes, they should, hopefully give many years more service.

I like that method, nice work. Andy
Olds

« Reply #706 on: September 28, 2015, 05:30:25 PM »

Smiley
New box section crossmember (one that wont be hit by the axle case) fitted so I can now cut out the last of the 'bed frame' angle iron, welded in by a previous  owner.

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
Olds

« Reply #707 on: October 01, 2015, 03:54:20 PM »

The rear axle is causing a few headaches. The internals and halfshafts are Morris 8 but the casing appears to be an early Morris banjo one. This coupled with the Morris z van, tele shock conversion, that was badly done, means the new U bolts don't fit (the old ones had been bent to make them go on). I also don't have any dampers. So rooting in my big box of bit I found a pair of rear lever arm shocks that are still good, but no links to the axle.  A bit more rummaging and I found a pair of new MGB links from a previous build and a pair of old short links from, something. The MG links fit the axle, the short links fit the lever arms, so grinder and welder and all is fine.
Should also look a little more period than telescopic, but would love a set of friction shocks. Perhaps one day, as an addition, not purely for aesthetics, but would add some adjustment to damping.

« Last Edit: October 04, 2015, 07:00:47 AM by Olds » Logged

minimutly

« Reply #708 on: October 04, 2015, 10:01:50 AM »

Could you not make some friction shocks? Should be easy compared to some of the stuff you manage, and you do have a lathe?
Olds

« Reply #709 on: October 04, 2015, 02:37:56 PM »

Funny you should say that.
Yep could do and probably will, already sort of planned at least for the front. Hartford shocks are expensive but the only difficult part to make would be  the spring and they are quite cheap. Thought along the lines of something a bit big, to match the shape of the front and got to have some etched brass. Lots of other, more important stuff to do first though.
Have just bought a Mk IV Spitfire fuel tank, on evil bay. Thought I would have to make something, but this should fit perfectly and allow fitting the filler through the top of the tail section. Just hope it turns up. Never did get the wheels.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2015, 06:28:18 PM by Olds » Logged

Olds

« Reply #710 on: October 07, 2015, 04:28:27 PM »

Trying to source parts for the rear axle meant having to identify it first.
 This should be easy, thinks I.
  Well I thought WRONG !
The half shafts are definitely Morris 8, but the casing is a bit like a Morris Minor one, only it's not.
Apparently, it's from the last of the Morris 8 vans. These were made, mainly for the Post Office.
Info is scarce, but it seems like there was limited production, and only for a couple of years.
Made finding seals and the like, oh so much fun. Roll Eyes
Happily, it looks like some 1949-53 Minor parts will fit. Smiley
« Last Edit: October 17, 2015, 06:12:30 AM by Olds » Logged

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #711 on: October 07, 2015, 06:44:51 PM »

I always seem to buy "cross over year" vehicles, when they changed from one fitting to another & neither seems to fit.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Olds

« Reply #712 on: October 07, 2015, 07:29:32 PM »

Yep been there. Cheesy
So far I've been lucky. Finding parts for something this old, is usually a matter of finding what else it may have been used on and having an original parts list helps.

Olds

« Reply #713 on: October 09, 2015, 11:00:59 AM »

Yey ! Fuel tank arrived and it fits. Grin
Only just mind you. No signs of rust or leaks and even the sender unit works. Cost  £37.50 delivered which is less then the price of a sender unit. Plan is to make a mounting frame/ rear hoop that sits under the body and have top harness mounts fitted . The filler cap can also to be mounted to this frame (or may just be mounted direct to the tank) and through a hole in the boat tail.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 11:51:39 AM by Olds » Logged

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #714 on: October 09, 2015, 11:08:12 AM »

Having visited Mr Olds's garage yesterday evening, I can confirm it's all looking rather spiffing. Nice work Sir.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
No Sound

« Reply #715 on: October 09, 2015, 09:20:11 PM »

Got yourself a good deal on the tank  Grin
Olds

« Reply #716 on: October 10, 2015, 04:17:54 PM »

Thanks MM  Smiley
Yep, think it was a good deal NS (too many Andy's  Cheesy)
Postie delivered the new UJ's for the prop and the pinion flange seal, for the axle today, so the prop is ready to go back in once it's been painted and the axle is done.
While the axle was being stored, nose down, the oil dripped out all over the floor,  Roll Eyes so I knew that a new pinion seal was needed.
Getting the flange nut undone took a lot of force despite it being soaked in WD40 for the past week. By a lot of force I mean 460 lb/ft, which is me standing on the end of a three foot breaker bar.
 Went with such a bang, that I was sure something had sheared but all is fine.
Think the flange needs sleeving or replacing. Sad
« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 04:21:30 PM by Olds » Logged

stinkey

I can't stop building stuff ?,but I'm slowing down

« Reply #717 on: October 10, 2015, 07:47:22 PM »

Liking this build..nice and not to elaborate or over the top..nice one sir  Wink

Backyard hotrodder,learnt by mistake,still learning ?
Olds

« Reply #718 on: October 10, 2015, 09:38:25 PM »

Thanks.
The new seal was very tight on the shaft of the flange, so I have taken a small risk, in skimming the surface in the lathe, followed by burnishing using a polished tungsten carbide tool. This both polishes and work hardens the surface.

Olds

« Reply #719 on: October 11, 2015, 10:36:48 PM »

Well the axle is back in and the car is on it's wheels and I am very pleased with the result.  Smiley
The chassis rails are now parallel to the ground. A bit higher up admittedly, (which I like) with new springs up front and rebuilt, arched springs at the back,  the main thing is, both ends now have some bounce, instead of feeling like the chassis is sat on bricks.
I will try to get the car outside for a pic sometime.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2015, 10:45:09 PM by Olds » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 89
  Print  

Jump to: