March 28, 2024, 02:14:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Guzzi 1000 to Reliant Axle  (Read 25850 times)
morrag

Carpe diem!

« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2014, 07:38:45 PM »

The prop is an amalgamation of the Honda prop. and an aftermarket industrial item, and more than man enough for a Honda "V" twins 50 Bhp, or your Guzzi's output. The prop shaft does not have to run in a straight line, and indeed some offset is desirable to reduce the brinneling effect of the univ. joints. Finally, unless you intend to put much larger horse power through the axle than that planned, then the standard tubes are more than adequate, ans are best,safest! modified by the cut and liner method, as pulling the existing tubes risks fracturing the diff. casing,even with judiciously applied heat, they have been in there a long time!, so, and for what its worth, that's what I do............... Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley  Morrag

Beware the Ides of March, But!
minimutly

« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2014, 08:56:37 PM »

Have to slightly disagree morrag, I've seen numerous bent axles on this and other forums - admittedly because of poor design, usually mounting too far in to the middle.
Also, removing old tubes is a cinch, no risk attached. You just slice off at the casing and run a bead of weld or two along the inside of the bit still in the diff. The bit cools and taps out easy peaty.
You do need some skills and a lathe to make up the new axle admittedly, but moorem seems to have both, hence my advice. I'd also advise re driling the hubs for 100mm and 12mm studs, rather than bending the originals.
Huw
morrag

Carpe diem!

« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2014, 09:55:23 PM »

Well, each to his own me old son, its the result that counts ultimately...Morrag

minimutly

« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2014, 04:19:18 PM »

Ai too true.
The problem with this custom stuff is while building one machine you're seeing other stuff which sparks your imagination. I have a yam turbo engine and frame which I intend to be build no2 (soft tail).
Just seen a vw reversed unit which also looks pretty good, but I'd like a v6....
Note to self, finish one project first.
Huw
morrag

Carpe diem!

« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2014, 06:30:48 PM »

Now that's sound advice, just wish I took note of it on occasion!! Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

moorem

« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2015, 07:12:40 PM »

Well after a break from the build to have a new "A" frame fabricated by FASTrikes (Father and Son Trikes) in Basingstoke we are finally on the road to a real project.
Fastrikes made a fantastic job of undoing the rubbish that was put together north of the border. They recovered the original swinging arm and made a fantastic job of mating the reliant axle we supplied to their fabrication.

Everything simply slid into place, plenty of room for the UJ and prop shaft.

I've just modified the hubs to accept a couple of Rover wheels (I'll post some pics soon of that mod).
Drilled out and installed 12mm studs
New bearings & oil seals fitted.

Going back to my brothers this weekend to start bolting on the carriers, calipers and a couple of other minor bits and pieces.

Next job is the prop shaft. I'm marrying up the Guzzi UJ to a Robin shaft. It'll be spring loaded to keep pressure on the UJ against the gearbox drive output haft which is a sliding fit on the Guzzi.

So it's actually starting to look like a trike!
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 05:56:04 PM by moorem » Logged
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2015, 08:35:20 PM »

Basibstoke?
I'm curious to see what it looks like now!

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #37 on: August 26, 2015, 11:20:20 PM »

I'm marrying up the Guzzi UJ to a Robin shaft. It'll be spring loaded to keep pressure on the UJ against the gearbox drive output haft which is a sliding fit on the Guzzi.

Now that's interesting - the spring loaded bit.  I have a GT550 trike with shaft mated to the Robin shaft and I've some problems with the motorcycle end of the drive - what's the actual reason for the spring loading?

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
minimutly

« Reply #38 on: August 26, 2015, 11:38:47 PM »

Not sure about the guzzi end bg, but your 550 prop should have a spung and keyed front end, this would keep pressure on the short splined gearbox output, thereby allowing any change in prop length brought aboutby the swing arm design.
Mine was solid, not sure of i'll spring load it, but my frame is solid hardtail
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #39 on: August 27, 2015, 10:12:49 AM »

Ah yes you're right, I'd forgotten that!   Had also forgotten that I worked out that my probs were likely caused by lack of lubrication (someone didn't do the job I paid them for)

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
moorem

« Reply #40 on: August 27, 2015, 05:40:20 PM »

Thought I'd post a bit of the engineering here for a look.

These are the hubs I've modified so that a Rover wheel will fit the hub and be properly supported and not just held on by the studs:

Fairly simple to do if you can weld and have a lathe.

I'll grab some more pictures of the trike this weekend as we mount the modified axle onto the bike.

Then its the prop shaft to do - by the way it is a swinging arm which is why the prop shaft has to be sprung loaded against the Guzzi output shaft.

The disc sits on the larger diameter an the smaller diameter sticks through the disc bore to locate the rover wheel. It all fits really well.

Before I go from here for now I'd like to thank everyone for their excellent commentary, images of trike parts and assemblies and good humor. It has all been a real help in getting my brothers project moving.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 06:03:43 PM by moorem » Logged
moorem

« Reply #41 on: August 27, 2015, 05:43:06 PM »

I'm marrying up the Guzzi UJ to a Robin shaft. It'll be spring loaded to keep pressure on the UJ against the gearbox drive output haft which is a sliding fit on the Guzzi.

Now that's interesting - the spring loaded bit.  I have a GT550 trike with shaft mated to the Robin shaft and I've some problems with the motorcycle end of the drive - what's the actual reason for the spring loading?

The output shaft of the Guzzi is short and there is no means of clamping the UJ. It is made to slide to accommodate the movement of the swinging arm.
moorem

« Reply #42 on: August 28, 2015, 09:26:06 PM »

Disc in position. A nice snug fit.
moorem

« Reply #43 on: August 28, 2015, 09:29:04 PM »

Hub assembled in axle
moorem

« Reply #44 on: August 28, 2015, 09:30:54 PM »

Looking good so far. Checked run-out with a DTI and it was less than 0.0015"
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  

Jump to: