April 25, 2024, 04:56:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Guzzi 1000 to Reliant Axle  (Read 26032 times)
morrag

Carpe diem!

« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2014, 06:21:10 PM »

And a couple more..........................

Beware the Ides of March, But!
morrag

Carpe diem!

« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2014, 06:22:50 PM »

This axle appears standard and not shortened, so.................

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2014, 06:45:27 PM »

I knew there was another Guzzi here! Who's was that Mr M?

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Olds

« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2014, 06:54:16 PM »

I think the problem Martin has is that he wishes to retain the swing arm (or at least some of it). I assume he's going the bolt on route with rear suspension.

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2014, 07:58:45 PM »

I see that one has a couple of UJs - mine doesn't, which may possibly be why I've had trouble with my shaft drive.  It's been fixed twice and I've currently got a rattle which may mean it's going again!

I had wondered if the first time was down to lack of maintenance (I asked the trike builder to grease it while he had it all apart but there were so many other things he didn't do that I just wondered) and then I thought maybe I was just putting too much strain on it towing my fairly well loaded trailer.  Now I'm starting to wonder....

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
morrag

Carpe diem!

« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2014, 08:52:40 PM »

Can be found on page 18 of "Trike Tech" under 'Waynes Guzzi', Mr.M, ok, Morrag

moorem

« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2014, 07:50:59 PM »

Check out the pics, they may be of assistance, and are of another forum members Guzzi to Reliant axle build. Morrag

Wow... "Morrag"... I am not worthy...
Thanks very much for the images and taking time to comment.
Looks simple doesn't it but.... my brother has had a bloke convert his existing swinging arm into an A frame to support the axle and the place where the guzzi UJ joint is housed is an integral part of that structure now.

If I wanted to put a different UJ in place and pull the prop shaft over to the centre line I'm worried that I'd have to almost destroy the right hand side of the swinging arm to create the sort of room your images have.
In the images you sent me, the frame is nicely spaced around the area where the UJ can be mounted... loads of room. I don't thnk I have that luxury with the modified swinging arm we have ended up with.

I might hold off on shortening the axle for a bit while I have a serious think about the arrangement again.

I found an image of something very similar but the UJ housing is on the other side on my brothers frame. The UJ housing also hosts a bearing for the UJ which I was thinking is quite important for the life of the joint!

Thanks very much.

Martin
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 08:09:41 PM by moorem » Logged
moorem

« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2014, 08:20:29 PM »

You know what... I subscribe to a couple of other forums for shooting, archery and home brewing and none of their forum members offer a fraction of the positive advice and welcome I have found her on "MMM". In fact some are without doubt some of the most ignorant individuals I've ever met on-line. So this is so much like a breath of fresh air just being able to discuss bikes and engineering without being slapped down all the time.

"Olds" you are of course right... it's not a "real trike" as some might say. My brother wanted to go the "bolt-on" route and use the existing swinging arm. Personally I'd have fabricated something more like an external swinging arm that would have left the inside area as free as could be. But we are where we are at the moment and I'm having to work with quite limited space.

Looking at the image I found earlier - it looks very similar to my brothers. It may be that the maker of the frame I found the image of earlier recognises the job (for a Guzzi 1000) and could offer up a few words of wisdom. I'm certainly not too proud to listen and learn. Its a nice solid job and from a welders perspective - nicely done.

Regards

Martin
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2014, 08:47:16 PM »

Aww, we love you too mate.  Kiss
Keep saying- nobody knows it all, but we all know a little bit & your little bit might be the very piece of the jigsaw someone else needs. The more info we share, the more friends we'll have to share this hobby with. 
Personally, I know nuffink, but I'm learning all the time here.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
morrag

Carpe diem!

« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2014, 09:25:24 PM »

As its a similar layout to the Guzzi, this is my Honda Silverwing trike, with a detail of the prop. shaft, hope it's of some use, Morrag

morrag

Carpe diem!

« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2014, 09:41:20 PM »

Couple more pics that will show the general layout, and I used a symmetrically shortened axle,6" narrower than standard................

moorem

« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2014, 10:48:16 PM »

Morrag,
I've been away a bit but now back on the tail of the Guzzi trike saga.
I've come to terms about using the centre mounted diff and angling over the prop shaft. I was wondering about having a prop shaft made to take the load but I note on your Honda trike that you have a "skinny" prop shaft... is this the original one?
I'm worried if the original Guzzi prop shaft and splines from the gearbox output can actually take the load of the reliant axle...

What do you (or others) think?
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2014, 06:22:13 PM »

First I have to say that I know NOTHING about the engineering side of things - but my mate had his Cali triked with an angled shaft and had a lot of problems, finally got the axle shortened to avoid this.  But I don't know whether it might have been more to do with whoever did the conversion not knowing how to do it properly.

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
minimutly

« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2014, 10:58:08 PM »

There's nothing wrong with shortening one side and lengthening the other, if you want to retain the original width (I would).
However, there is a limit to this - shaft stiffness and tube wall thickness needs to be up to it.
If you're messing around with the axle casing tubes I recommend binning the originals and buying some thicker metal - especially if you can turn stuff, best move imade.
Huw
digger06

« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2014, 05:53:51 AM »

I see that one has a couple of UJs - mine doesn't, which may possibly be why I've had trouble with my shaft drive.  It's been fixed twice and I've currently got a rattle which may mean it's going again!

I had wondered if the first time was down to lack of maintenance (I asked the trike builder to grease it while he had it all apart but there were so many other things he didn't do that I just wondered) and then I thought maybe I was just putting too much strain on it towing my fairly well loaded trailer.  Now I'm starting to wonder....

as long as one ends sliding, and its inline your ok, if it keeps fecking up its usually a design fault, for eg, not inline correctly....
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  Print  

Jump to: