April 29, 2024, 02:53:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9
  Print  
Author Topic: Kawasaki VN750 Bolt on??  (Read 45796 times)
scannerzer

« Reply #75 on: April 17, 2015, 05:55:03 AM »

nice job
andyrennison

« Reply #76 on: April 17, 2015, 11:36:25 AM »

Thanks guys. There are some bits left to tidy up, and the paint job is lacking a bit to be honest. Hopefully DVLA will come through and I can get out on her. On my travels now, not back till a week on Tuesday, let's hope.....

Thousands of candles can be lit from a single candle,
and the life of the candle will not be shortened.
Happiness never decreases by being shared
andyrennison

« Reply #77 on: May 04, 2015, 07:01:01 PM »

Well, took her out for the first test run today. All in all a good run. There's a fair bit of shimmy at the front at low speeds, but a fork seal is leaking quite badly, so I think a good dose of looking at them will be needed before I get too worried.

Carb started pouring petrol out about an hour after I get back, so that'll need looking at as well!

All good though

Olds

« Reply #78 on: May 06, 2015, 09:26:49 PM »

Glad to hear it went well.  May need to play around with tyre pressures etc. to get it stable but as you say fork seals first if one's leaking. Think about getting a side car or car tyre on the front eventually.

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #79 on: May 07, 2015, 04:45:27 PM »

If the front end shimmy disappears around 15 -20 mph I would say that you'll soon get used to it and not notice it!  Try lower pressure in the front tyre too - I run mine around 25 and the same at the rear.  Also the headstock bearings need to be a bit tighter when using the front end for a trike than when on a bike.

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
andyrennison

« Reply #80 on: May 07, 2015, 11:08:07 PM »

Cheers BG. It's pretty violent up to 20, feels like I'm fighting it. Got the components to change the seals so will try that, and play with the tyre pressures (as you and olds suggest)

BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #81 on: May 08, 2015, 08:52:54 AM »

When I first had mine I rode it once round the perimeter road of the estate and thought "I can't do this" - Then I thought about how I watched the builder of the trike arrive on it so it must be doable!

Sorted it out with playing with pressures etc, rode it like that for years - I did eventually get the front end quite seriously modded at some expense, including extended yokes and wider and higher bars, but that was years down the line when the arthritis was making it tiring to ride long distances, my main object in that was to make the steering lighter but the side benefit was pretty much getting rid of the wobble!

There's always going to be some wobble when a standard bike front end is used for a trike as it's doing a job it's not designed for, and there are various things that help - there are also various mods that help as well  - look at pics of TerryT's Goldwing trike, he has a completely different mod from mine!

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
andyrennison

« Reply #82 on: May 09, 2015, 08:00:56 PM »

Thank Bobbie. Fork seals first 😀

Speaking of which the seal is stuck tight in the lower tube. Has anyone a suggestion how I can get it out?

Clive

« Reply #83 on: May 09, 2015, 08:59:40 PM »

Is the fork apart? If so, some gentle heat to the fork tube, and prise the seal out.

Or lots of heat to the fork seal directly. Til it bursts into flames,then clear out the sticky remains! Cheesy Cheesy

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #84 on: May 09, 2015, 09:18:52 PM »

Dunno, I found myself a man who could!

Olds

« Reply #85 on: May 10, 2015, 06:31:57 AM »

Should be able to just lever it out once the retaining clip is removed.
You can buy seal remover tools but most aren't that great.
I've used a tyre lever with a bit of scrap ally to protect the fork edge from damage. If it's really stuck, mount the lever in a vice, and pull down on the fork. Gives a lot more leverage. You might need to thin down the end of the lever a bit.

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
andyrennison

« Reply #86 on: May 11, 2015, 06:09:55 AM »

Thanks all. Managed to get them out OK. New seals are in and painted the lower tubes as well, looks much cleaner. Will get some oil in now and try a run again.

BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #87 on: May 11, 2015, 07:59:34 PM »

depending what you've got in there, you might want to remove a spacer or two, or use a little less oil - one of the things I did to reduce wobbl;e was to let the air out of my air-assisted forks.  No idea why it helped, but it did.

BUT don't take my word for it cos I don't really understand which bit of the forks does what!

andyrennison

« Reply #88 on: May 11, 2015, 08:01:56 PM »

Ha Ha. Its not a compressed air type, so I could play with the oil, but i've no idea what i'm doing with that. Problem at work today, so im still working when I should be playing. tomorrow i can get the oil in maybe

andyrennison

« Reply #89 on: May 20, 2015, 09:26:07 PM »

Got the fork seal completed and new oil in. Also fitted an Avon sidecar tyre today. Let's see how she handles now :☺

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9
  Print  

Jump to: