April 28, 2024, 08:59:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
  Print  
Author Topic: fiddling with me waterworks!  (Read 20774 times)
ROD

« Reply #60 on: May 11, 2014, 06:50:59 AM »

The liners on the old engine dont appear to be protruding as much as they are on this latest engine.Difficult to measure them correctly, so will take both blocks to engine place tomorrow for measuring.
The headgasket doesnt have any specific markings for front/top.I fitted it the way the holes lined up best.Will report back.....
Rod
« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 08:16:46 AM by ROD » Logged
terry t

« Reply #61 on: May 16, 2014, 09:02:17 PM »

any update on this Huh
kapri

« Reply #62 on: May 17, 2014, 07:32:46 AM »

Silly point but one someone I know was caught out on , you are torquing with the correct range of settings? My mate was struggling to seal a Rover and finally realised he was using a nm/m torque wrench not a lbs /ft.
ROD

« Reply #63 on: May 17, 2014, 11:57:53 AM »

Kev, no,I checked that one!
Latest update ..I took the engine back to engineer with the old engine.We compared the protrusion of the liners on both.The latest eng has the liners within limits, but the old block had almost no protrusion.He had checked the block face previously and it was good .apart from this preventing sealing, he reckoned that when he cleaned the block,the oilways in the latest one were badly blocked, and is wondering if there is corrosion causing an area to be porous.not too sure about that, but I do know as prev said, the headgasket was wet on both sides, with no area of dryness,and hadnt appeared to seal on anywhere but round the tops of the liners.But no oil/water had oozed out of the gap between block and head.I was extra careful to prep everything and keep everything spotless.Torqued everything perfectly.the h/gasket looks so untouched its tempting to reuse it!
Olds

« Reply #64 on: May 17, 2014, 12:51:47 PM »

What did the liner protrusions measure out at ?  If the builder just said "they are within limits" I would want to check. It's very easy with a set of feeler gauges.
It really does sound like the head wasn't pulling down fully, despite your careful torqueing.
Perhaps a head gasket from a different manufacturer is in order, if the copper bore ring is too thick, or not ductile enough to deform adequately.

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #65 on: May 17, 2014, 01:40:50 PM »

Perhaps a head gasket from a different manufacturer is in order

Maybe you need to use a different brand of cornflakes packet?

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
ROD

« Reply #66 on: May 17, 2014, 02:34:42 PM »

Point taken.previously I had discarded head gaskets because the holes didnt align well enough, or they just didnt 'look right'.This one looked ok, and only needed minor opening of the stud holes to get a good fit .I also checked thaat there were no burrs round each gasket hole that would cause greater thickness!.Cant quite recall, but I think ifitted it with the copper ringed hole over the oil hole, a bit hazy on that tbh , havent got blocks here to check.
The liners need to be around 4thou proud, I think 6 is max u can get away with.Didnt measure the old block, but couldnt feel any NOTICEABLE step .There wasnt a head seal prob with the old block.
As I said before, I did use a different torque wrench for this head cos couldnt find the other one.Its a williams one, so in theory should  e ok, but even so, there wouldnt be such a hugeleakage, even if they were just done up 'tight'
I may try the new liners in the old block.The engine guy is at a loss what to do next! He couldnt believe it when i went back there.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 02:41:58 PM by ROD » Logged
hunter

« Reply #67 on: May 17, 2014, 03:53:55 PM »

Rod to check the liners, simply put a steel rule across the top of the liner and slip a feeler gauge between the rule and the block.

I
ROD

« Reply #68 on: May 17, 2014, 03:58:24 PM »

Yep, I would, but the blocks are at the engine place mate.
ROD

« Reply #69 on: May 20, 2014, 05:17:34 PM »

Just got a call the engine is ready for collection. Will find out exactly what he's found/repaired/redone etc when I pick it up.
terry t

« Reply #70 on: June 28, 2014, 08:59:27 AM »

Any more news on this,  I am sure there are others that are interested as well
merv

« Reply #71 on: June 28, 2014, 09:29:13 AM »

Any more news on this,  I am sure there are others that are interested as well

I am

Why do every five minute job take all day, and
if it can go wrong it will go wrong
Olds

« Reply #72 on: June 28, 2014, 11:13:15 AM »

So am I. Hope Rod hasn't given up on this.

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
ROD

« Reply #73 on: August 25, 2014, 06:02:20 PM »

Thanks for replies....No not given up..posted a seperate thread re head gasket orientation,as I thought it would be useful to someone..
morrag

Carpe diem!

« Reply #74 on: August 25, 2014, 07:40:30 PM »

Rod, your persistence and doggedness do you much credit, me I'd have binned the bloody thing long ago,and is probably the reason I flogged my "piggy" engined trike bits Grin Grin Grin Grin.anyway, I really hope you prevail, whilst me, a mere mortal, will stick with motorcycle engineering from the Land of the Rising Sun!! Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked, 'carpe diem' me old son, trusting your water will indeed eventually work!.......Morrag

Beware the Ides of March, But!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
  Print  

Jump to: