April 24, 2024, 10:05:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: FIFER TO THE BATPHONE!  (Read 1453 times)
ROD

« on: May 01, 2014, 05:16:57 PM »

I followed your tips on tourquing the head when I did the gasket before.Just trying to refresh my memory.Thought it would be good to explain on here for all to have access to...
Your site has very useful info on head gaskets, but not this bit....

As far as I can recall....
Fit gasket , torque down to poundage, run engine until warm, leave overnight until cool, then retorque.Run for 500 mls , back off each nut 1/8th turn ( IE 'crack open') the nut, then torque to  poundage.
Is that right?? Please amend if not!
something I would like to add, is that the nuts mating surface with the washer, and the washer shouldnt have any graunch or scuff marks, as sometimes these can lead to the nut snagging on the washer etc.
Some may say that this is all a big palaver for such a simple engine, but I think the heads on them are a bit tempremental at times, so best to check it all out now, rather than break down (like I did!)
Re torquing is a palaver, as the rocker shaft has to be removed to get to at least one of the nuts, this in turn means re setting the tappetts, but I found it was worth it before, as I didnt have any probs generally with the gasket .
« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 05:24:10 PM by ROD » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: