March 28, 2024, 07:38:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 25
  Print  
Author Topic: Kawasaki 750 hard tail (was rear end ratios)  (Read 119631 times)
minimutly

« Reply #315 on: March 19, 2017, 10:20:55 PM »

I Needed to sort the lights out before mot (the brake lights were on all the time and the indicators didn't work).
The indicators (and hazards) i knew were down to a link needed to replace a bit of the ignition switch missing due to a yank bike being fitted with a uk ignition switch, but the brake lights were making me wonder..
The link for the indicators I put in inside and behind the fuse "box", checked it didn't backfeed and cause any other issues. The brake lights turned out to be nothing more than the footpeg turned on its mounting, stopping the pedal coming up. A small step closer anyway.
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #316 on: March 19, 2017, 11:09:45 PM »

Amazing how often that sort of thing happens - you have a problem you think is going to be right barsteward to sort out, and when you steel yourself to tackle it - Wow, that was easy!

On the other hand, when you think 'I'll just sort that (whatever) before I pack up' - and three hours later you give up in disgust and decide it'll be better to sort it tomorrow...

Grin Grin

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
minimutly

« Reply #317 on: April 17, 2017, 07:32:44 AM »

Brings back memories,good luck and let us know how you get on

I didn't, couldn't find the time to get the engine back together. Spent all night doing a time control down on the coast by Newgale, between St Davids and haverfordwest. Even  managed to book in the police before looking up to see who they were! No car number so I just put COPS on my checksheet.
scannerzer

« Reply #318 on: April 17, 2017, 08:35:23 AM »

that bit brings back memories too.lol the cops never had that before
minimutly

« Reply #319 on: April 20, 2017, 04:33:01 PM »

Trike MOTd today  Grin,  also went to get it wighed, for some reason it was 540 kilos on the v5 !
Now, if I want to tax it today, can I? And then change its weight later and get a refund? Or should I wait? Trouble is I want to use it next week...
minimutly

« Reply #320 on: April 20, 2017, 04:33:58 PM »

Should have said - got a weight ticket at 280kilos
minimutly

« Reply #321 on: April 23, 2017, 12:25:39 AM »

Some observations after putting some miles on it today:
Its still blinkin' cold, even with a couple of layers and a decent jacket I'm feeling it. Vibration white finger after 25 miles today, the cold brings it on, need better gloves, or harden up..
The front end is noisy- it has a plastic mudguard, and anything but the smoothest tarmac brings a rumble/hum from it. At least I think its the mudguard? Any one have experience of this?
Still having to think what I'm doing - this thing takes some hanging on to when pressing on -  the national speed limit feels fast enough to me.
The front brake is excellent - thanks stix! The rears lack feel, and if you press too hard they lock up - quietly!
Still grinning, and getting lots of waves Smiley
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #322 on: April 23, 2017, 09:20:44 AM »

It's the cold that'll limit my range when I finally get my bike on the road. I've always been freezing on bikes, since I was a teenager. O.K while I'm actually riding, but as soon as I stop I'm shivering with cold. Clothing's got much better since then though with modern fabrics & stuff specifically designed for outdoor use. Some modern lightweight thermal gear will help a lot.
I found my trikes always felt like they were going faster than they actually were, but meant I could have just as much fun as faster machines without worrying about getting caught for speeding Smiley
« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 09:23:31 AM by Manky Monkey » Logged

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
minimutly

« Reply #323 on: April 29, 2017, 06:08:17 PM »

Entered the local Cardigan Barley Saturday parade today, but before i went a quick check over made me want to look closer at the prop. I noticed the power unit end was quite slack, slack enough to allow the UJ to slop around. Now I had modified this from original by fitting a sliding joint at the back, and thought I'd fitted a coil spring inside to hold some tension on it - well anyway, no spring in sight.
So off came the axle torque reaction bar, remove prop, cut down an old inner valve spring and re-assembe everything. Now it holds nice and tight against the engine, on top of that, the vibration I was getting at speed has dissapeared - so it was propshaft related as I thought. All in all a result. Had a good day, put some more miles on the trike, and getting better at riding it, I think.
Next up is to try to sort out the rich mixture on load and the rumbly front mudguard, both of which will make it a lot more civilised.
the coppersmith

« Reply #324 on: April 29, 2017, 07:42:23 PM »

sounds like a good result with the prop. I have a sliding prop and have a shaky bit, may look at that soon, thanks for the idea.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #325 on: April 29, 2017, 07:46:11 PM »

I usually find the niggly fault diagnosis stage takes longer than the original build!
Any photos of you parading on it?

minimutly

« Reply #326 on: April 29, 2017, 08:15:25 PM »

][URL=http://s65.photobucket.com/user/carreglasinimutly/media/image_zpsn5llqjph.jpg.html]http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h232/carreglasinimutly/image_zpsn5llqjph.jpg
Kawasaki 750 hard tail (was rear end ratios)
[/url]
][URL=http://s65.photobucket.com/user/carreglasinimutly/media/image_zpskslclvcx.jpg.html]http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h232/carreglasinimutly/image_zpskslclvcx.jpg
[/url]

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h232/carreglasinimutly/image_zpsxstu9wv4.jpg
[/url]
« Last Edit: April 29, 2017, 08:21:27 PM by minimutly » Logged
minimutly

« Reply #327 on: April 29, 2017, 08:22:35 PM »

Still don't know why it doubles up, i'll remove them
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #328 on: April 29, 2017, 08:49:13 PM »

Ooh, look at that! Very nice.

minimutly

« Reply #329 on: November 15, 2017, 10:45:01 PM »

Idle moment in a pub in Ludlow...
After the first summers riding a little update:-
The mixture issue has been improved by dropping the float levels, but I think I overdid it, they are a touch on the low side, and It doesn't start as well, and occasionally misfires until really hot. I thought I was clever by measuring all the levels with a tube, then adjusting all the floats to the same level as the "correct" one with a vernier. Well that didn't work, so in the end I had them set up on the bench fed from my remote bottle/tank. Must try harder.
Reliability wise it has been perfect, handling wise I need to sort out the back wheels to see if the speedwobble is solved, i have bought a chinese speedo/idiot light jobby, so plan on msva before next year. I really need a better headlight though, and some mudguard lights, would like some LEDs, so any thoughts appreciated.
The original front tyre is worn out and showing some cracks, so I will source something a little narrower for the R1 rear wheel if I can, if it still wobbles its head I'll be fitting a damper.
All in all a fair result, but it will be for sale so I can have something with rear suspension, the roads around me and my age don't go together.
Ps, it's 4, yes 4 years since I first posted on here, where the heck did that go then?
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 10:47:28 PM by minimutly » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 25
  Print  

Jump to: