April 26, 2024, 01:05:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 25
  Print  
Author Topic: Kawasaki 750 hard tail (was rear end ratios)  (Read 120248 times)
terry t

« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2013, 12:25:47 PM »

No I am not.. when I built mine to change the taxation class to trike and keep the original reg, I  had to take photos of the work done fill out some forms stating what was done. they gave me an appointment for there inspector to have a look and check what I had said was correct, and no alteration where made to the frame and that the engine and frame numbers matched there record. then after there inspection it was changed over to class 3, 2 seat. trike.

but it looks like you have made your mind up on what way you want to go, so I will not post any more comments on this best of luck with you alterations there is a lot of info on here
Olds

« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2013, 04:05:18 PM »

DVLA themselves took pictures of my trike. Those along with the MSVA certificate and report, copies of receipts for major components and various forms, will be stored somewhere.
There are a lot of dubiously registered trikes. 
It is however your trike and folk here will try to help you where they can.

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
tbone

« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2013, 05:01:24 PM »

For the record it's currently a hard tail reliant, with a sprung rear seat -hence the confusion I guess.
On the msva thing I'm not too bothered either way, other than to stick two fingers up at the dvla who are a bunch of clueless morons. Why pander to their whims, they know it' s a trike, as long as the insurance co have a valid description on record what does it matter?

Regards,
Huw

The best way to raise your digits is to follow all relevant legislation and prove that no matter how difficult they try and make it, a decent trike can still be fabricated within the law.
As regards insurance, it doesnt matter what description you give them, if it doesnt match the dvla records of the vehicle, your insurance is invalid. Not only will this cause problems in the event of a claim, but will also affect any policies that you apply for in the future.
And just to rub a bit of salt in, you could also find yourself being proscuted on fraud charges.
You will recieve more help from the members of this forum than anywhere else on the internet, providing you want it, but as responsible members, we encourage you to build legally.
I realise you may not be getting the answers that you wish to hear, but few here will applaud you for breaking the law and ultimately making life harded for future builders.

NO I WON`T. aye ok then, i will
minimutly

« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2013, 05:50:05 PM »

Please don't take my earlier comments as an indication of how I"ll go with this, certainly I' m more inclined to do this properly now than I was before.
As to the history of my trike it would seem some of you know it better than me,  so if anyone wants to post or pm me with info I'd be greatful. My own initial inspections have revealed several areas of dubious welding, so it's Iikely there will be some sandblasting and grinding, as well as the planned removal of the rear bench...
All the best,
Huw
digger06

« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2013, 06:30:56 PM »

Thanks for all your replies, some especially useful stuff, especially the reliant ratio info. ( not sure who it was said they were pretty much the same -obviously not).

had both on my trike,, its about the same difference as a set of low profiles and a set of v low profile tyres, (16 inch wheels}
however,mine is on a reliant trike though, not a kawi.the ratios in your box will be different
didnt i read this trike was built in 97?
mine was too, its down as built from second hand parts, theres no list of what i used, cos i didnt have an msva, its before that...
does it actually state anywhere that an older non msva trike needs an msva if you alter it?i dunno?

« Last Edit: December 26, 2013, 06:49:23 PM by digger06 » Logged
minimutly

« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2013, 10:05:27 PM »

What I meant is that the is a big difference between the highest and lowest. What I need to do next is to check the ratio on my axle, take the trike for a spin to check its suitability, then chose accordingly.
As for a cutoff date for msva, my understanding was that if the convertion was carried out before a certain date (tied to the inception of the test), there was no requirement. However, if the machine was re converted after the cutoff date it would need one (I may be totally wrong but it would seem sensible to me).
Stuff will become clearer I'm sure.
Cheers,
Huw
Olds

« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2013, 10:56:44 PM »

MSVA is not only for bikes converted to trikes. It applies to mopeds, motorcycles, trikes and quadricycles that have been built or "radically altered" since 2001. This has been well discussed in the bike section. As far as I can ascertain, any alteration to the frame could (but may not) be deemed to be a radical alteration and yes, a vehicle built or modified prior to the introduction of MSVA but "radically altered" afterwards requires MSVA testing.
A similar scheme applies to cars etc.
As for stuff becoming clearer, don't count on it.

BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2013, 03:56:03 PM »

As for a cutoff date for msva, my understanding was that if the convertion was carried out before a certain date (tied to the inception of the test), there was no requirement. However, if the machine was re converted after the cutoff date it would need one

I think (and I may be wrong too) that something that was converted pre-msva would be ok now if it was properly registered at the time and not been significantly modified since, but many just used the log book that came with the Reliant they got the axle from, instead of using the 'points sytem' or re-registering it properly.  But now that everything is computerised and records are linked (dvla, MOT, insurance etc) it's much easier for the powers that be to check on all these things - and they do!  And of course insurance companies are very keen to find legitimate reasons not to pay.

So if you're involved in an accident and your trike isn't properly registered, not only are you not covered by your insurance for repairs and/or injury claims, but you'll get done by plod for using false registration, no insurance, and everything else they can possibly think of!

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
minimutly

« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2013, 10:15:56 PM »

Yeh, thanks for that bikergran, a trike logged with dvla before msva and then tweeked is a world away from one registered as a plastic pig, but I take your point.
Since one or two people one here have mentioned "my" trike as if it's known to them, and have also been good enough to give me advice on legal issues I feel I have to say thankyou, all advice appreciated.
I would still value a share of that knowledge though, if you'd be so kind?
Thanks again,
Huw
spanners

« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2013, 10:30:56 PM »

Yeh, thanks for that bikergran, a trike logged with dvla before msva and then tweeked is a world away from one registered as a plastic pig, but I take your point.
Since one or two people one here have mentioned "my" trike as if it's known to them, and have also been good enough to give me advice on legal issues I feel I have to say thankyou, all advice appreciated.
I would still value a share of that knowledge though, if you'd be so kind?
Thanks again,
Huw
huw where did you buy youre trike from ? have you got a picture that you could post on here ?

LIVE FAST  and  DIE YOUNG,,  past 50 AND STILL HERE  NOW. WAITING. FOR. THE. GRIM. REAPER
Olds

« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2013, 10:43:00 PM »

Huw
I guessed that it was Hexcaliber from your description. I remember seeing it for sale. The number plate and unusual rear seat made this one stick in my mind. Sure that I have seen it before but can't remember where.
-Olds
I can try to put a pic up if you wish.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2013, 10:45:11 PM by Old Newbie » Logged

minimutly

« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2013, 12:34:32 AM »

No, thanks all the same, I need to find out how to anyway, just need some spare time to sort it.
Trike was bought from Builth Wells in mid Wales, apparently built by someone from the ferest of dean area -hexcaliber it was called indeed, about as stupid a name as the rear seat. But we're all different....
Thanks,
Huw
tbone

« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2013, 12:36:26 PM »

I considered a Ford irs build some time ago but never got around to it.
I was going to opt for a 3.14:1 diff as fitted to 2.0 Granada`s & 2.8i Sierra`s with a 7" case & bolt on shafts.

The reason for the 7" case as opposed to the 7.5" was purely because it looks a heck of a lot smaller.
The bolt on shafts are designed to run disc brakes, not drums, and are a much stronger design.

The 3.14:1 is now, I believe, a difficult (expensive) thing to get hold of and I think I would happily use a 3.36:1 if that was readily available (Sierra 2.8, 2.9 & 2.5D). A little tweeking with your choice of wheel & tyre sizes should produce acceptable results.

NO I WON`T. aye ok then, i will
minimutly

« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2013, 01:07:52 PM »

Yes tbone, that ties up with what my local ford expert said. He also said the small, pot joint diffs could be used with a sleeve in the hub. He's looking out some bits when he can.
Thanks,
Huw
kapri

« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2013, 01:24:26 PM »

If registered correctly ie inspected but not issued witha Q it will have details of this on the 'comments' section on the front page of the V5C ie Built from parts some of which may not be new. If built in pre 1984 it won't have a Q plate because they didn't exist then. It would have been issued with a new plate and notes made as mentioned .I have owned several hot rods that are registered like this.

I'm fairly new to legislation only having 40 years experience with it and having been married to the manager of the DVLA LO for 10 years Wink
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 25
  Print  

Jump to: