April 19, 2024, 10:10:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New Brough Superior  (Read 5734 times)
Tony oily bike

« on: November 06, 2013, 12:31:49 PM »

New Brough Superior

First off, a little bit  of history to set the stage;

Brough Superior motorcycles, sidecars, and motor cars were made by George Brough in his Brough Superior works in Nottingham, England, from 1919 to 1940. They were dubbed the "Rolls-Royce of Motorcycles" by H. D. Teague of The Motor Cycle newspaper.
Approximately 3,048 examples of 19 models were made in 21 years of production. Production of bikes never resumed after WWII.
George Brough was known for his dedication to his vehicles and customers. He, and later Albert Wallis, continued to service Brough Superiors after production ceased, making parts until 1969.

According to a 2008 press release, Brough Superior had a new owner.
"Following an amicable negotiation with the Card family, Netherton Industries Ltd. is pleased to announce the purchase of The Brough Superior Engineering Limited, together with the assets of The Brough Superior Engineering Limited. This follows the earlier acquisition of Brough Superior Motorcycles Limited.
"The acquisition includes the patents, the intellectual property rights, and the exclusive rights of the trademark and logo, of the historically renowned company.
"The transaction is the brainchild of Englishman Mark Upham, the manager of British Only Austria GmbH, purveyors of rare and unique British motorcycles, and who has been appointed CEO of the new Brough Superior operation. Upham, 51, is a life long enthusiast of Brough Superior motorcycles. He takes this opportunity of expressing his thanks to Mr. Card for protecting the Brough Superior assets during the period in which he was the official custodian.
"In the meantime it should be stated that the company’s intention is to preserve, protect, and promote the prestige and momentum, which continues to attach to the Brough Superior legend."

Well, here we are in November 2013, and the Milan show has just unveiled the new SS100 90th Anniversary machine.

http://blog.motorcycle.com/2013/11/05/motorcycle-news/eicma-2013-brough-superior-ss100/

http://www.broughsuperiormotorcycles.com/engineering.html

http://www.brough-superior.com/ws/frontend/seite/SeiteCms.php?coId=1343&coType=navigation1

Be interesting to see what fellow Monkeys think of it…………………
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 12:34:15 PM by Tony oily bike » Logged

There's nowt as light as a hole, so add lightness.

Our lady of blessed acceleration, don't fail me now! - Elwood Blues

Nitro doesn't add power, it multiplies it! Bob Loux, running 10.07 secs @138mph on a 650 normally aspirated Triumph drag bike in 1965!

"Incontinence Hotline" - please hold.
fifer

« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2013, 02:32:10 PM »

They can have my left Boll*ck immediately in exchange for the Brough  Grin
Gorgeous  machine .

Confucious ; He say that man who take woman up hill , him not on level
gsxbobber

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2013, 02:55:29 PM »

Sorry to be negative but i think they have made a monster keep the tank and throw away the rest.
Olds

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2013, 04:25:14 PM »

Not keen on the overall styling. Though there are elements that I really like. Not sure what you might call it. Steampunk café racer?

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2013, 04:31:22 PM »

Just to compare - the original.........

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2013, 04:33:50 PM »

Hm.  Not really sure what they're trying to do - if they want it to look like the old one, they've failed, and if they want a modern version....  failed too in my opinion, it's a mish-mash.

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
kevsky

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2013, 06:55:33 PM »

lovely looking engine
as for the rest of it ,a British icon redesigned by a Frenchman , the French are not renowned for their flair and style or military prowess
it should have been given to the Italians who are renowned for their flair and style but alas also not for their military prowess

reality sucks thank god for religion
scannerzer

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2013, 07:51:18 PM »

not for me i have to say,looks like someone did somthing nasty to a buell
WAYNE999

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2013, 07:58:07 PM »

I LOVE IT,I LOVE IT,I LOVE IT
I WANT ONE NO I WANT TWO NO I WANT THREE
Did I mention I like this a lot Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

Oh bugger we need a bigger hammer
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2013, 10:22:21 PM »

Steam punk café racer -good description Dave. Keep the engine, bung it in a hardtail chop frame.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Tony oily bike

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2013, 10:05:40 AM »

The new Brough will be on display at the Kempton park A/J on Sat 6th Dec

http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=13189.msg187470#msg187470

There's nowt as light as a hole, so add lightness.

Our lady of blessed acceleration, don't fail me now! - Elwood Blues

Nitro doesn't add power, it multiplies it! Bob Loux, running 10.07 secs @138mph on a 650 normally aspirated Triumph drag bike in 1965!

"Incontinence Hotline" - please hold.
panthershaun

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2013, 08:41:42 AM »

hate it as Brough with a passion, as a custom 1 off I think it's the mutt's... the old marques are gone.. dead never to be reborn in my book.. for me the only way to keep a name in production is by constant production, once building has lapsed for several years let the poor buggers go with some dignity... unlike poor bloody Indian.. and kevsky I disagree my friend.. the French were building very interesting and cool looking machines back in the day.. I love the art deco silencers that you got on even the smallest moped....

you ain't it, till you've "Bobbed" a Brit!!!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: