March 29, 2024, 12:13:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: How much for a post 60’s British parallel twin bike engine?  (Read 13811 times)
Tony oily bike

« on: September 24, 2013, 09:09:07 AM »

How much for a post 60’s British parallel twin bike engine?

Spotted this rather tasty  Tongue Nourish Weslake engine on ebay on Sunday when the bidding was less than £500, when looked Monday morning it had reached £3100 with 8 ½ days to go.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Nourish-Weslake-Methanol-Engine-BSA-Triumph-Triton-Racing-/271283093483?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts_13&hash=item3f29bb7feb

So, what d’ya reckon it’ll make (bearing in mind there’s no gearbox or carbs) ?

From the advert:
NOURISH WESLAKE 900cc ENGINE. FITTED WITH 180 degree CRANKSHAFT AND 8 VALVE LARGE PORTED HEAD. UNUSED SINCE REBUILD AND READY FOR USE WITH METHANOL. HAS INTERSPAN IGNITION BOX BUT THIS WILL REQUIRE CHECKING AS IT HAS NOT BEEN USED FOR SOME TIME. NO APPARENT EXTERNAL ENGINE DAMAGE AS CAN BEEN SEE IN THE PICTURES. WHAT YOU SEE IN THE PICTURES IS WHAT YOU GET.

There's nowt as light as a hole, so add lightness.

Our lady of blessed acceleration, don't fail me now! - Elwood Blues

Nitro doesn't add power, it multiplies it! Bob Loux, running 10.07 secs @138mph on a 650 normally aspirated Triumph drag bike in 1965!

"Incontinence Hotline" - please hold.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2013, 09:26:42 AM »

Jeez, what makes it so special? Id've thought the original 500 was a fair price.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Tony oily bike

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2013, 10:52:05 AM »

Jeez, what makes it so special? Id've thought the original 500 was a fair price.

A normal, un-restored road-going 650 pre-unit Triumph motor nowadays fetches £1000 up (bare, no carbs, no mag, no gearbox) and will prob require a rebuild.

A Nourish Weslake is a completely different beast.

This is a full-on, basically hand-built, 8-valve racing motor, with all associated and spec'd components, and this particular one has a rebuild to boot! (not to be confused with a Triumph based special, as there are no triumph parts on it)

From the mid 70’s to mid 80’s, side car motorcross was the big thing, and they (Dave had 8 men working in the team) were doing around 50 engines a year (no CNC machines back then).
Crankshafts are basically one-off as people wanted different journal sizes, strokes, main bearing size, 360/180/90 degrees.
Just to show the variety of engines, Nourish basically do 3 different 750s

To quote from Classic Bike’s September 2013 issue (I believe from Dave himself) talking about a 90 degree motor “This engine costs £6250. Given the amount of work that went into it, the price should be a lot more than that, but there’s only so much people will pay” (does come with Interspan ignition)
It’ll put out around 80 horse.

The aluminium castings are by Cresey’s in Kent (Creasey’s also supply Mclaren F1)
All rough machining is carried out by a contractor in Leicester.
Dave Nourish does the finishing, porting, polishing and fettling.
Dave used to make the conrods, but now uses Carrilo
Pistons are Omega
G&S do the valves (they also supply Cosworth)
Gear driven oil pump,
Ally head, barrel, casings.

The eight-valve head was developed for Rickman by Weslake / Dave Nourish, but folks used to break other parts of the Triumph engine when racing, so Weslake / Dave Nourish took the head and then made everything else to suit.
Readers may be familiar with the road-going Triumph TSS of the early 80’s, as this had an eight-valve head developed by Weslake / Nourish.

To give an idea of (new) prices with respect to the ebay motor
-   main bearing set – around £440 ncl VAT
-   bare cylinder head (with guides & seats) - £1100
-   if you want to convert a Triumph to eight-valve, you’re looking at £2340 incl VAT   

Here's a little about Harry Weslake - very interesting reading  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weslake

And finally…………
To quote the Sept 2013 issue of Classic Bike “For 37years the finest (and fastest) eight-valve Triumph twins have emerged from a shed in Rutland”

“Men in sheds” – Brilliant!!!  Grin

Nitro doesn't add power, it multiplies it! Bob Loux, running 10.07 secs @138mph on a 650 normally aspirated Triumph drag bike in 1965!

spanners

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2013, 12:20:20 PM »

i remember ,tinkering,, with westlake engines in speedway bikes , many moons ago,
also had a 6cyl rover I over E engine with a westlake head on it  in a landrover for a few yrs ,, it went like ,stink,, landrover got scrapped many years ago and the engine layed in the corner of the yard  up untill we cleared wonderland a few months back

it ended up in the ,,,SKIP,,,,, Shocked Shocked Shocked

LIVE FAST  and  DIE YOUNG,,  past 50 AND STILL HERE  NOW. WAITING. FOR. THE. GRIM. REAPER
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2013, 08:00:59 PM »

it ended up in the ,,,SKIP,,,,,

How did I know you were going to say that Mike!  Cheesy

spanners

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2013, 08:21:52 PM »

it ended up in the ,,,SKIP,,,,,

How did I know you were going to say that Mike!  Cheesy

so,,so,, much stuff went that way  gave loads away but people couldn,t be ,,bothered,, to collect it  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

LIVE FAST  and  DIE YOUNG,,  past 50 AND STILL HERE  NOW. WAITING. FOR. THE. GRIM. REAPER
Tony oily bike

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2013, 09:28:05 AM »

Engine sold for £3100

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2013, 04:21:35 PM »

Sheesh!

Tony oily bike

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2013, 06:20:13 PM »

Sheesh!

Quite a few pennies, but £3100 is half the price for a new one, so a "bargain"!!  Undecided

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2013, 09:23:10 PM »

Still sheesh!

Tony oily bike

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2013, 06:36:36 AM »

These are rare motors and aren't often seen up for sale, but just after that one's sold, another has come onto ebay!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/nourish-engine-weslake-grasstrack-methanol-bsa-triumph-norton-special-/161121576569?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts_13&hash=item2583982679

Fresh from a grasstrack outfit 1 nourish 950cc 180 degree engine, I have not taken this engine apart and do not intend to, I have removed plugs to check piston and bore with a bore scope bores look good and it has compression when turned engine turns over smoothly, I cannot make any guarantee's you will need to check yourself and make your own mind up it can be inspected at my works before you bid for any more details you can reach me on 01227730928 during days from 9-4 mon to Friday or 01227730778 days this is advertised elsewhere so be quick if you want one, regards ken

This one has a starting bid of £3500 (£400 more than than the other went for, and the other had a full rebuild and an Interspan ignition pack which secondhand is worth about £150-£200).
Be interesting to see what this one fetches.

Tony oily bike

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2013, 06:59:17 AM »

ALSO up for sale is a Rickman (nickel plated) framed Weslake 860cc machine. Bike runs a Norton gearbox and some nice goodies, Buy It Now is £7000.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rickman-street-metisse-NRE-Weslake-/221293748526?pt=UK_Motorcycles&hash=item338622a12e

Rickman metisse  fitted with 860cc NRE (nourish racing engine). And for those not familiar with these engines, it is based on and similar to Triumph pre unit motors, but much higher spec with 8 valve head.
This motorcycle is in really nice condition, and a real pleasure to ride....extremely fast and powerful.
No road tax required as it qualifies as historic vehicle...amazing what can be got away with !!!
The engine was fully rebuilt by Dave Nourish 7 years ago, and was upped from 750cc to 860cc with new barrels and pistons.
It is correctly registered in the V5, It was Mot'd last year and has not been used since. MOT has expired but will pass without problem.
Full spec of this much loved, reliable fast bike as below....it has been 15 years of progression from when I bought it.
Currently on SORN
Nickel plated Rickman frame s/n R334
860cc 8 valve NRE motor 360 degree crank, it has the rare Weslake rocker covers
Norton Commando gearbox
Norton Commando milled chaincases
Twin Mikuni carbs
Ultra reliable and expensive Interspan electronic ignition
12v electrics with alternator and Boyer powerbox.
Newby 40 mm belt drive primary transmission coupled to heavy duty clutch
Brakes. Free floating front disc, drum rear
Fibreglass  4 gallon tank, monza flip filler, twin taps
Fibreglass dual seat unit
Alloy rims, heavy duty spokes in rear, good tyres.
Hagon shocks
Remote oil filter, well sorted copper pipe oil feeds.
New battery
Oil pressure guage, ammeter, rev counter, speedo.
Semi rearsets with gear linkage
Custom frame hugging nickel plated exhausts, with reverse cone meggas
This can only go up in value, and much better looking than a bank statement
It needs a speedo drive fitted to rear wheel, in the meantime if you want to know how fast, just ask the guy on the big bore Triton as you sweep past him.
This is not a bike for the faint hearted, very fast, loud, but handles well. Be prepared to gather a crowd when you go to kick it over Smiley
It is fitted with wide bars, but I have a set of clipons and an alloy tank that fit (extra), if you prefer more of a caferacer look.
I have moved abroad, and back in the UK for a couple of weeks and decided to let it go to someone who will love and use it.
2 hours with the cleaning rags and it will really shine
Will sell overseas, but buyer must pay and arrange carriage and any import costs, overseas bidders must contact before bidding.
Viewing welcome, and any questions xxxxxxxxxxxxxx evenings, or mobile xxxxxxxxxxxxx
No p/x but am looking for a Suzuki 250 super six, as a lightweight fun bike to take back with me

Could make a nice pension nest egg?

Tony oily bike

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2013, 10:15:30 PM »

Another engine has come onto ebay, this time a Puma/Weslake that's had a full rebuild.
The buy it now price is £6500.

I'm pretty sure the Puma parts are the engine cases. (Puma cases are used in drag racing, and to say they're strong could well be an understatement!)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/puma-weslake-alloy-motor-960cc-8-valve-dry-clutch-gear-box-cafe-racer-t120r-/201005725117?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts_13&hash=item2eccdff5bd#ht_168wt_932
« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 10:20:47 PM by Tony oily bike » Logged

Tony oily bike

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2015, 07:56:01 PM »

Feb 2015 -
If you like British bikes and are familiar with Triumph & Norton twins these rare and high-spec'd Weslake engines may interest you. (previous posts have a bit of info)

At a guess this motor should put out around 80+ horsepower. Compare that to a T120 650cc Bonny was quoted at (I think) 46, T140 750cc Bonny around 49, 850cc Commando around 58, and an XS650 (to some, the 'Japanese' Bonny) at around 50, and you start to get an idea what these lumps are all about.

This is the first ad for a Weslake engine I've seen on ebay since the last post back in Dec 2013

Starting price is (wait for it........) £4000

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NRE-Nourish-Weslake-900-race-engine-CRMC-BHR-/251812459602?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts_13&hash=item3aa1313452

The seller describes it as follows:
900 cc Nourish 8 valve engine.
Totally rebuilt, see my other listings for related items.
If your arms are too short, this will stretch them ,without the need for surgery!

These are super-strong motors with lotsa ooomph, wonder what it'll sell for.......... answers on a post card........

Seller also has a new Interspan ignition pack which cost him £700+ in late 2010, starting price of £500
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 08:12:31 PM by Tony oily bike » Logged

Tony oily bike

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2019, 11:38:38 AM »

If you’re looking for a powerful British parallel twin that’s not your usual run-of-the-mill, this may interest you, that is if you’ve got £5,500 looking for a new home!

Found today (2019-0-20), and its the first ad for a Weslake engine I've seen on ebay since the last post back in Feb 2015.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nourish-Weslake-Engine-Norton-Triton-Rickman-Seeley-Classic-Racer/254082729451?hash=item3b2882c5eb:g:BWMAAOSwohVcQ10e:rk:1:pf:1&frcectupt=true

The advert says
Nourish  Weslake   850cc  Engine.180 degree Alternator Crankshaft.   
Very good condition. Cylinder head serviced by Dave Nourish a while ago and not been refitted since.
 Kept as the spare engine for my sprint bike and now surplus to requirements
Described as for parts, not working because it has been partially dismantled for inspection.
The cylinder head will require refitting and valve and ignition timing setting                   Supplied with all parts , seals and gaskets required for reassembly, Interspan ignition system ,alternator studs, exhaust  downpipes and a set of Converta engine plates for a Featherbed Frame.
Workshop manual and parts lists
A Nourish 5 speed gearbox and a Newby belt drive and clutch will be available to the purchaser at a price to be agreed after purchase of the engine

These are rare and powerful engines, and should not be mistaken for simply a tuned Triumph.
A rough idea of the sort of ooomph these lumps out out is around 80+ horsepower
Compare that to a T120 650cc Bonny was quoted at (I think) 46, T140 750cc Bonny around 49, 850cc Commando around 58, and an XS650 (to some, the 'Japanese' Bonny) at around 50, and you start to get an idea what these lumps are all about.

Any takers................. Cheesy

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: