April 29, 2024, 09:45:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18
  Print  
Author Topic: Dutch hotrod show 16 -17 November '13  (Read 42063 times)
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #240 on: November 24, 2013, 09:56:05 PM »

Cool, yesch?

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #241 on: November 24, 2013, 10:07:09 PM »

As the show drew to a close, it was time for everyone to pack up & head home. Miles, Simon & Andy were driving straight back through the Eurotunnel on Sunday night. They've done the show scene many times before & had their stalls dismantled & stowed in the hire van in a matter of minutes. Kate was getting a lift back to the airport on Monday morning. Show cars soon began firing up & rolling out of the hall into the darkness.
Time to shake hands & say goodbye to friends old & new. I didn't meet a single person in Holland that I didn't like. Such a welcoming & hospitable country.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 11:47:40 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #242 on: November 24, 2013, 10:09:09 PM »

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #243 on: November 24, 2013, 10:11:04 PM »

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #244 on: November 24, 2013, 10:13:58 PM »

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #245 on: November 24, 2013, 10:26:58 PM »

We didn't have to catch our ferry home until 2.30 on Monday afternoon, so we left our cars in the show hall overnight & headed to the restaurant for one last meal.
I really didn't want the weekend to end. We'd met some fantastic people & had an amazing time. The Pop had received endless attention from the show goers & been photographed a million times, as had all the other cars on the Brit stand. We'd flown the flag for Blighty & had a great time doing it. Can't wait to do it all again next year.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 10:29:47 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #246 on: November 24, 2013, 10:50:11 PM »

Monday morning.
The Brit contingent, leaving our lovely lodge.
Kate, Tim, Shaun, Ian, Beanie, Dale, me & Loony, (Russ taking the photo).

One last walk down the lane of many locked gates, wishing our luggage wasn't quite so heavy.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 10:51:48 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #247 on: November 24, 2013, 11:01:17 PM »

The show hall was almost empty, just us & another half a dozen cars left. The trade stalls were all gone, the lights & ropes & drip trays packed away. It was all over. I couldn't help feeling sad.
Christa made us coffee. Touchingly, she was wearing a MMMotors T shirt. I'd taken 6 with me. Christa asked for one, I gave Henry another, Russ had one, I swapped 2 with the Flake Kings for some of theirs & sold one to a show goer. I also took 50 stickers, all of which were given out to the public over the weekend, (kinda cool to know they're out there somewhere on the continent, even if they're adorning some kid's bedroom wall). It did amuse me that we couldn't buy a commemorative shirt at the show, but the organisers ended up wearing some of ours!

Christa.

The last supper, breakfast.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 11:49:13 AM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #248 on: November 24, 2013, 11:04:42 PM »

Beanie.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #249 on: November 24, 2013, 11:19:53 PM »

Kate was getting a lift to the airport later in the morning, so with a last peck on the cheek from Christa & hearty handshake from Henry, we were on our way home.
We'd done so much & met so many & had such a brilliant time, it was hard to believe we'd done it all in so few days. Holland had been a blast.
Loon took the wheel for the drive back to the Hook of Holland. The truck's been a bit of a joint project between us & we couldn't leave without him putting in some miles on foreign soil. We passed a traditional windmill, right at the side of the road. 4 hotrods in single file, driving by a windmill -not one of us got a photo of it. "Look", I shouted over the noise of the motor, "a windmill". "Jeez, you scared me. I thought there was a giraffe in the road or something". As we rounded the next bend, at the side of the road stood a wooden cut-out of a giraffe. The Dutch are strange. Very cool, but strange. We'll be remembering this trip with a grin for a long time to come.

Marcus at the wheel, duelling with the Dutch truckers.

Russ & Tim.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 12:15:30 AM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #250 on: November 25, 2013, 12:13:15 AM »

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #251 on: November 25, 2013, 12:13:58 AM »

Passport control at the ferry terminal. The guy in the booth had to lay his head on the counter to peer in the Pop's chopped window to check us against the photos. We'd arrived in plenty of time & had battered cod with whiskey mayonnaise for lunch at a fish shop on the dockside. Time to head home to reality.
As we rolled off the ferry, 6 hours later, it was dark & raining. Hello Britain. 
Shaun wandered off to find his car for the drive back to Kent. Russ, Tim & Dale left for Norfolk. Seeya guys. Beanie & Ian were going to Bedford, so we followed them back down the A12, peeling off at the M25 junction with one last wave. We were running on the smaller rear petrol tank. "Must be almost empty" Loony said. Immediately, the fuel pump began to clatter as it ran dry & I flicked over to the larger main tank for the cruise home around the M25 & along the M3.
We finally rolled back into Basingstoke at midnight, exactly 5 days & 500 miles since we'd left. Did we really do all that stuff? We gave the bonnet a thank you pat. The ol' girl hadn't missed a beat the whole journey. Not bad for a 60 year old car with a 30 year old engine, built in a shed.
It had indeed, been a most excellent adventure.  Smiley

Mister Manky & Mister Lunatic.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 12:17:43 AM by Manky Monkey » Logged

merv

« Reply #252 on: November 25, 2013, 08:14:12 AM »

What a great adventure, always a little sad when they come to an end but they give you lots of good and fond memories  Sad   Smiley Smiley

Why do every five minute job take all day, and
if it can go wrong it will go wrong
panthershaun

« Reply #253 on: November 25, 2013, 09:48:35 AM »

here's to the next one  Grin

you ain't it, till you've "Bobbed" a Brit!!!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #254 on: November 25, 2013, 09:37:05 PM »

And I didn't even mention Russ mistaking a cigarette filter for an ear plug & having to have it removed with tweezers. Or Shaun falling out of his bunkbed. Or me putting half a gallon of eco diesel in the Pop before Loony spotted my mistake -it ran fine, & possibly better. Lots of silly stuff.

Just heard from Henry- next year's show is on the 15th & 16th of November, 2014.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2013, 09:48:34 AM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18
  Print  

Jump to: