April 29, 2024, 05:11:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: A PROP’ER DILEMER  (Read 13234 times)
Ziggy

« on: October 28, 2006, 12:02:57 PM »

A PROP’ER DILEMER

I need help on how to go about making a prop shaft for my Kawasaki GT750 trike project.  A recent feature in 100%Biker magazine doesn’t  give anywhere near enough information for someone who’s as green behind the ears as me.

So, I’m calling on the skills of you lot to help me, if possible.  Firstly, it’s important that I retain the original shaft that comes from the engine, this has a universal joint at one end, and is splined  at the other, and It’s about 10 or 12 inches long, I need this to slot (or be welded) into the cut down prop.

How do I go about this ?

If you can help, please can you give as much detail as possible, coz unfortunately,  I’m on the thick side of brainless .

Any help would be very, VERY appreciated.

Thanks in anticipation.

Ziggy.

P.S.
Below are some pictures of the “100%Biker” prop to give you some idea of what I need to achieve.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2006, 12:08:57 PM by Ziggy » Logged

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2006, 05:35:36 PM »

Saw this posted elsewhere & agree with the advice offered there. A couple of steel collars to take up the difference between the bike prop's outside diameter & the car prop's internal one, then drilled & button welded should do the trick. Spoke to SaddleBags today. He's just machined some pedal fittings for me as well as a pair of wheel adaptors for CJ, so he's your man if you need the collars machined.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
klogan45

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2006, 06:13:42 PM »

Hi Ziggy,
have had the same problem with the virago 535 conversion that I'm doing. If you have to use a car prop shaft you could try this. It has worked for me.
I turned a piece of steel to a diameter just slightly larger than the internal diameter of the prop that i'm using (reliant) to make a collar/coupler/insert, call it what you like, about 4 inched long... This was then internally bored to a depth of three inches, to a diameter just slightly smaller than the diameter of the bike prop. The collar was then heated to cause expansion and the bike prop pushed in.
The next step is to measure, measure and measure again to get the length of the prop. Cut down the propshaft that you are going to insert the collar/coupler/insert to the correct length.  Drill 2 holes, at around 1 inch and 3 inches through the prop section that you have cut down, turn it 90 degrees and drill againat 1.5 inches and 3.5 inches.. you will now have 4 pairs of holes at 90 degrees to each other. Heat the propshaft that you have cut down and insert the shaft that you have made up. Button weld the insert/collar/coupler through the holes. Next weld the edge of the shaft to the adge of the collar/coupler/insert. Finally weld the bike prop to the collar/insert/coupler and you have a newly adapted shaft for your trike.
Ive added a pic of the collar/coupler/insert that i made which I hope will be of some help, failing that email me and I'll give you my phone number and we can talk.
regards
Keith
Take care ride safe have fun.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2006, 06:15:27 PM by klogan45 » Logged

Confucius say woman who flies upside down has crack up!

He who holds The Angle Grinder of Destiny holds the fate of bikekind in his hands.

Where did that 13mm spanner go then?
Ziggy

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2006, 09:23:00 AM »

Hi Ziggy,
have had the same problem with the virago 535 conversion that I'm doing. If you have to use a car prop shaft you could try this. It has worked for me.
I turned a piece of steel to a diameter just slightly larger than the internal diameter of the prop that i'm using (reliant) to make a collar/coupler/insert, call it what you like, about 4 inched long... This was then internally bored to a depth of three inches, to a diameter just slightly smaller than the diameter of the bike prop. The collar was then heated to cause expansion and the bike prop pushed in.
The next step is to measure, measure and measure again to get the length of the prop. Cut down the propshaft that you are going to insert the collar/coupler/insert to the correct length.  Drill 2 holes, at around 1 inch and 3 inches through the prop section that you have cut down, turn it 90 degrees and drill againat 1.5 inches and 3.5 inches.. you will now have 4 pairs of holes at 90 degrees to each other. Heat the propshaft that you have cut down and insert the shaft that you have made up. Button weld the insert/collar/coupler through the holes. Next weld the edge of the shaft to the adge of the collar/coupler/insert. Finally weld the bike prop to the collar/insert/coupler and you have a newly adapted shaft for your trike.
Ive added a pic of the collar/coupler/insert that i made which I hope will be of some help, failing that email me and I'll give you my phone number and we can talk.
regards
Keith
Take care ride safe have fun.

Thanks Andy & keith.

The major hurdle for me is I don't have, or know anyone with a milling machine, I only have a file and an angle grinder. This is why I've been getting so frustrated with the project.

Any help with getting a "collar/coupler/insert" thingie made, would not only be very appreciated, but would be an answer to my prays. That "collar/coupler/insert" looks so simple, but it's way out of my reach because there's nobody near me that is able to do it. There is a engineering firm though, but I'd have to remortgage the house to get it done with them, and then they'd only do it if they had time.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2006, 09:32:38 AM »

A file & an angle grinder -ahh, I'm not alone then.  Wink
Believe me mate, I know just how frustrating that is! It can take me weeks to produce what others with better equipped workshops can do in minutes.
Have a word with Saddlebags. He's Basingstoke based but I spoke to him yesterday & he's very keen to get involved in custom parts. I'd better not give his employer's name, but he's got the run of their workshops & has machined a set of hub adaptors for CJ & posted them to him in Scotland.
PM him or contact me for his mobile number. 

klogan45

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2006, 12:51:47 PM »

Hi Ziggy,
where are you based, might be able to help if you are near enough, or even do the job and post the collar to you.
Regards
Keith

He who holds The Angle Grinder of Destiny holds the fate of bikekind in his hands.

Ziggy

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2006, 09:31:43 PM »

Hi Ziggy,
where are you based, might be able to help if you are near enough, or even do the job and post the collar to you.
Regards
Keith

Firstly, I have to say, both you (Keith) and Andy have kept my spirits up regards this project, and I really can't thank you both enough. Wink Cool Cool

Keith, unfortunately I'm in S.W. Wales, about 25 miles west of Swansea in fact, so I doubt your anywhere near me, I'm not that lucky Cry But I'd be totally made up if you could make one for me, just let me know your details via PM, or you can e-mail them to me on: ziggytriker@yahoo.co.uk , Then I can send you however much it'll cost, and what parts you need.

Keith, your a star dude, thank you... Wink Cool

klogan45

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2006, 09:14:35 AM »

Hi Ziggy'
I have emailed my phone number to you  Smiley, you can call me after 9pm, i'm usually in then, and we'll see what we can do for you. I'm sure we can overcome you prob.
Regards
Keith

Ziggy

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2006, 12:20:50 PM »

Hi Ziggy'
I have emailed my phone number to you  Smiley, you can call me after 9pm, i'm usually in then, and we'll see what we can do for you. I'm sure we can overcome you prob.
Regards
Keith

Thank you so much Keith, your an absolute diamond geezer !  Wink.... Cool Cool

Ziggy

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2006, 11:58:50 PM »

Keith, it was damn good speaking to you on the blower tonight, it was just the tonic I needed, and it's completely lifted my spirits up by 100%.

I'll get down the lock up tomorrow, and try and sus out how that drive shaft comes off the GT750 (if anyone else knows how to get it off, It would be very appreciated).

Meanwhile, here are some pics, one of the bike in the state it's at now, and one of the swinging arm before tubes get welded on.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2006, 12:01:07 AM »

Bobbi, (Biker Gran), runs a GT550 trike. She may be able to help. Check her trike out in the Motors, 3 wheels section, ("Gertie").

klogan45

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2006, 06:08:51 PM »

Hi Ziggy, no problem, mate, have sent a couple of emails with pics etc of the axle mount that I've made. Hope that this helps too.
Regards
Keith.

TwistedPatience

Teetering on the edge of insanity

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2006, 07:50:26 PM »

The GT prop has a small pin in the cup which mates to the gearbox shaft if you use a small nail to push down the pin in the hole and the cup slides off but be careful the pin is on a spring and will FLY if you don't, I used an old towel rapped over the prop and my hand as I pulled the prop off.

As I have a softtail I put a spring in the sliding spline section to keep the cup pressed up against the gearbox coz that pin made me paranoid, it's so bloody small. But I do have a spare one somewhere in the lockup

« Last Edit: October 31, 2006, 08:07:54 PM by TwistedPatience » Logged

"It's time to raise the Finger,
That middle digit takes your point and drives it home"
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2006, 07:56:43 PM »

One of those little things it's nice to know about before you do the job!

Ziggy

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2006, 08:01:24 PM »

Hi Ziggy, no problem, mate, have sent a couple of emails with pics etc of the axle mount that I've made. Hope that this helps too.
Regards
Keith.

Hi Keith. Just checked out me e-mails, WOW ! that's a real neat way of attaching the axle to the frame, I might even be able to do it myself...lol

Did you use a jig to line the axle straight before attaching the bracket ?

Thanks Keith, your a real star... Wink Cool

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: