April 28, 2024, 06:03:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Starter Motors  (Read 1651 times)
morrag

Carpe diem!

« on: March 12, 2013, 09:39:34 PM »

I have just carried out a mod. to the starter motor of the Honda GL motor that's going into my 3 Wheeler,and which I have just finished preparing, and seems to work. The negative earthed return circuit in the Honda starter motor is via a "wiping" ,or clamped contact on the brush holders of the motor. This is only kept in contact with the motor body by the pressure of the endcap,( check for burning between the top brush holder metal tangs and the body of the motor), and its long fixing screws, and can lead to arcing and hence a "slow" motor turnover. What you do is drill and tap the alloy end cover 3mm, then fit a 50mm long flexible lead to connect the Brush holder ring to to the end cap, making a firm, sound, and permanent, return connection. It definitely increased the speed and reliability of my starter motor, and would probably apply to other manufacturers engines, so if you have a problem, or are just o/h your starter, its worth considering, and simple to do. I picked the idea up from another Forum, so its no revelation on my part!! Tongue Tongue Morrag

Beware the Ides of March, But!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: