April 29, 2024, 12:43:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Switching the clutch arm side  (Read 9645 times)
andyrennison

« on: January 07, 2013, 09:30:32 PM »

Hi All, I need a little help please.

1. I have tried to drive out the pins that hold the clutch bearing arm onto the bar that runs through the bell housing. I have tried to drift them out with a biggish hammer and a fine scredriver to no avail, the little fatherless swines will not budge. Is there a trick to this or is it just a bigger hammer I need?

2. I want to create a new actuation arm down from the bell housing to replace the flat bar that is there. Ideally it will be a round bar / tube , as slender as I can reasonably make it. Has anyone done that, what works / doesnt work?

Thanks

Thousands of candles can be lit from a single candle,
and the life of the candle will not be shortened.
Happiness never decreases by being shared
scannerzer

« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 09:42:22 PM »

Andy I've did this recently and found that a punch worked best but it needs to be a good fit
,the first one i tried went inside the pinand also the pins came out in 2 pieces so make sure
you get both out if your's are like that,they may not all be...oh and a bigger hammer always help Cheesy
fifer

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, 10:10:56 PM »

Yep , they need a set of pin punches

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200mm-Millimeter-8-Piece-Parallel-Pin-Punch-Drift-Set-2-4mm-9-5mm-NEW-WARRANTY-/390492849286?pt=UK_Hand_Tools_Equipment&hash=item5aeb300486
You need to tap them out from the front .
However , as they should be in one piece , the back will butt against the back casing so you need to bend / snap the back portion of the pin to enable you to get it out .

The roll pins have a tendancy to shear anyway and that is one of the reasons some folk get trouble putting the engine into gear .
This is due to the clutch thrust arm rotating around the hollow tube due to the roll pins being broken where the pin and the shaft meet .
Slight cure is to insert a solid / split pin through the middle of the roll pin after it is fitted .
This reinforces the roll pin . 

Confucious ; He say that man who take woman up hill , him not on level
andyrennison

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 10:18:01 PM »

Thanks guys. So, the follow on question - where can I get replavement pins, sounds like I will need them !

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2013, 10:22:04 PM »

Any decent bolt shop should sell them. or just type Roll Pins into Ebay -there's millions of 'em.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/120PC-ROLL-PINS-SPRING-SPLIT-PIN-ASSORTMENT-GOOD-RANGE-/271134612611?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3f20e1dc83

1/8" maybe?

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
scannerzer

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2013, 10:22:25 PM »

motorfactor/fasteners/engineering shops would probably all have them,I need to check the size
but if you can't get them locally let me know and if i have them i'll post you some over( i work in a motorfactor)
andyrennison

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2013, 10:24:35 PM »

Are these em ? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Reliant-Robin-Clutch-Roll-Pin-5-32-x-1inch-GENUINE-Original-Equipment-8785-/181044872347?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2a271d849b

andyrennison

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2013, 10:27:19 PM »

Any decent bolt shop should sell them. or just type Roll Pins into Ebay -there's millions of 'em.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/120PC-ROLL-PINS-SPRING-SPLIT-PIN-ASSORTMENT-GOOD-RANGE-/271134612611?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3f20e1dc83

1/8" maybe?

Looks a handy set !

andyrennison

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2013, 10:32:40 PM »

motorfactor/fasteners/engineering shops would probably all have them,I need to check the size
but if you can't get them locally let me know and if i have them i'll post you some over( i work in a motorfactor)
Cheers Scannerzer Smiley

fifer

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2013, 12:27:47 AM »

Them,s the babies as Reliant Parts World IS Reliant ; But what a price  Shocked

Confucious ; He say that man who take woman up hill , him not on level
Olds

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2013, 06:25:33 AM »

2. I want to create a new actuation arm down from the bell housing to replace the flat bar that is there. Ideally it will be a round bar / tube , as slender as I can reasonably make it. Has anyone done that, what works / doesnt work.

Looked into doing this, 6mm round bar flexed but you should be able to get away with 8mm. 3/8" might be better though.
Next time I remove the gearbox, I am going to to replace the ugly actuator arm, with a chrome, left hand crank, from an old style pushbike. Some motorcycle gearlevers may also suitable with modification.
Just an idea Smiley

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
dave 67

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2013, 01:17:49 PM »

I used an old drill bit and used it in a hammer drill to get them out it warmed the pin up and they seemed to just pop out

never to old to learn
nabsim

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2013, 01:52:11 PM »

I am certain I got my replacement pins for John Copestake (Copesake?) along with spare core plug and some other odds and ends

ROD

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2013, 02:41:07 PM »

I used an old drill bit and a hammer,worked fine.
steven brock

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2013, 02:54:18 PM »

On my list of things to do still more powder coating lol

steel wasn't invented to make bloody staples with!
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: