April 27, 2024, 05:17:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
  Print  
Author Topic: Trailing  (Read 17704 times)
ROD

« Reply #60 on: March 02, 2013, 10:46:01 AM »

I saw that Hunter,but it was posted in 2009,and I think the rules have changed since then.
 ON ..I think they have lumped the whole lot into one category now.
 BG...youre probably right,but I wouldnt like to be the first person to get a tug. I reckon they will make a huge example of the first one,to make the others think twice about doing it!
  I dont think VOSA deal with this. I'll give their policy dept a ring on Monday as well.

Also the single wheel m/cycle trailers (not the type like Morrag spoke of)(but maybe!) rely on a connection to the bike/car that isnt a 'towball and socket ' type. I think there are also rules (British Standards or summat Roll Eyes)and specs for the type of hitch allowed as well! I wanted to fit a vertical pin on my trike,and use a large rod end on the trailer,to give a more streamlined look,but I think that is illegal,even though I reckon it would be stronger than the 'pressed tin' tow hitch that is the correct type! I know tractors have the pin and ring system ,but they probably are ok cos its for agricultural use? Can of worms/minefield!! Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 10:54:22 AM by ROD » Logged
terry t

« Reply #61 on: March 02, 2013, 11:35:00 AM »

i think that vosa will tell you to contact D-f-Transport.
the best way is to go to your local police traffic station and talk to them
i done that to find out about my trike tow frame. it was a lot easier than talking to some one on the phone. who might not really know
ROD

« Reply #62 on: March 02, 2013, 12:09:19 PM »

TBH I havent got any faith in their knowledge so I wouldnt bother with them. I think the only way is to get a copy of the DOT regs and read them!
nabsim

« Reply #63 on: March 02, 2013, 12:15:35 PM »

Some HGV's (if they are still called that) have ring and pin type hitches Rod, it isn't just agricultural. Well it wasn't when I was in the quarry anyway

terry t

« Reply #64 on: March 02, 2013, 12:27:47 PM »

TBH I havent got any faith in their knowledge so I wouldnt bother with them. I think the only way is to get a copy of the DOT regs and read them!
Well there the ones that will nick you if your braking the law

This is what you will get from the DfT

Thank you for your telephone call to TTS Division about towing trailers.  I attach our information sheet on Requirement for Trailers.

The towing of trailers by motorcycles is covered by the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986, Regulation 84.

This states that for motorcycles with an engine capacity exceeding 125 cc:

i)          the trailer has an overall width not exceeding 1 m;

(ii)         the distance between the rear axle of the motor cycle and the rearmost part of the trailer does not exceed 2.5 m;

(iii)        the motor cycle is clearly and indelibly marked in a conspicuous and readily accessible position with its kerbside weight;

(iv)        the trailer is clearly and indelibly marked in a conspicuous and readily accessible position with its unladen weight; and

(v)         the laden weight of the trailer does not exceed 150 kg or two thirds of the kerbside weight of the motor cycle, whichever is the less.

In addition, the unladen weight of the trailer should not exceed 254kg.

The 254 kg unladen limit is applicable to both motorcycles and trikes, whereas the 150 kg laden limit is an additional requirement only applicable to motorcycles.  In practice the laden limit for motorcycles implies that the unladen weight must be less than 150 kg and so, inevitably, the trailer will also comply with the 254kg unladen weight.

There is no need for it to have only one axle although we are not aware of any evidence that single axle trailers have any particular problem with snaking.

Finally we  suggest  you  check with the manufacturer that your  bike has been designed for use while towing a trailer, in particular they may specify a lower laden weight than stated above if the vehicle brakes are not designed to stop a fully laden bike plus a trailer laden to 150kg.

I hope this is helpful.

Yours sincerely

Mary Kissane
Department for Transport
Transport Technology and Standards Division

------------Information Sheet------------

Requirements for Trailers

Statement

Requirements regarding trailers used on the road are given in the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986, as amended (C&U) and the Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989, as amended (RVLR).  The following is a summary of the main requirements.

Every effort has been made to ensure that it is factually correct but recipients should check with the producers of this document if they are unsure about the validity of a particular regulation after the date of publication or if they have reason to believe any part is not correct or is now out of date.

1   Weight

In the case of light trailers, that are less than 3500kg in maximum laden weight, there is not any specified relationship in UK law between the weight of the towing vehicle and the weight of the trailer.

For M1 category vehicles (motor vehicles used for the carriage of passengers and comprising not more than eight seats in addition to the driver’s seat) the maximum permissible trailer weight may be quoted by the vehicle manufacturer. Alternatively, the vehicle manufacturer may provide a maximum gross train weight (the laden weight of the trailer plus the laden weight of the towing vehicle). If either of these weights are exceeded it is possible that the Courts or Insurance Companies may take the view that this constitutes a danger.

The maximum laden weight of a trailer which may be towed by an M1 or a light goods vehicle depends on
the stated gross train weight of the towing vehicle (GTW) and/or
the vehicle manufacturer’s recommended maximum permissible trailer weight. 
Neither the maximum permissible trailer weight nor the maximum gross train weight (the laden weight of the trailer plus the laden weight of the towing vehicle) should be exceeded. 

It is possible that the stated gross train weight is less than the sum of the stated maximum permissible laden weight of the towing vehicle and the stated maximum permissible laden trailer weight.  In this case the towing vehicle and the trailer must be loaded such that each does not exceed its individual maximum limit and the sum of both does not exceed the maximum gross train weight.

It is not a requirement to display a notice of the unladen weight of the trailer or the towing vehicle, unless the towing vehicle is either a motor tractor or a locomotive, as defined in the C&U.

2   Dimensions

If the towing vehicle has a permissible gross weight in excess of 3.5 tonnes the maximum width and length of the trailer are 2.55 metres and 12 metres respectively. If however the gross weight of the towing vehicle is 3.5 tonnes or less, then the maximum permissible width and length for a drawbar trailer are 2.55 metres and 7 metres respectively. In both cases, the overall length of the towing vehicle and trailer must not exceed either 18m or 18.75m depending on the type of towing vehicle. If the vehicle combination (not including buses) is of the articulated category the maximum permissible width and length of the semi-trailer are 2.55 metres and 12.2 metres respectively. The overall length of the towing vehicle and trailer must not exceed 15.5m. 

The C&U definition of the overall length of a trailer makes it clear that the coupling device and draw-bar are not included in the length dimension. In the case of a caravan, where a protective box is mounted on to the front (for example to hold gas storage tanks) and is supported on the draw-bar, this box is included in the overall length.

These requirements also apply to visiting vehicles.  Under Regulation 4(4) Item 2 of C&U, we permit a vehicle to be brought into Great Britain by a person resident abroad, provided that the vehicle complies in every respect with the requirements relating to motor vehicles or trailers contained in:

article 21 and paragraph (1) of article 22 of the Convention on Road Traffic concluded at Geneva on September 19, 1949 and Part I,  Part II (so far as it relates to direction indicators and stoplamps) and Part III of Annex 6 to that Convention; or
paragraphs I, III and VIII of article 3 of the International Convention relative to Motor Traffic concluded at Paris on April 24, 1926.

Therefore we provide visiting vehicles an exemption from the construction, equipment and maintenance of vehicle requirements specified in Part II of C&U but not from the requirements for Regulations 7, 8, and 10, which relate to length, width and height respectively.

There is significant harmonisation of regulation within the European Union and freedom of movement across borders. European Council Directive 96/53/EC, Annex I, states the maximum authorised dimensions for certain road vehicles circulating within the Community. However Annex I relates to large passenger carrying vehicles, large goods vehicles and trailers with a weight of over 3500 kg. There are no specific requirements for light vehicles.

Article 3(2) permits Member States to require vehicles, not covered by Annex I, put into circulation in their own territory, to be in conformity with their own national requirements.

The UK is permitted to refuse to admit vehicles into the UK if the dimensions exceed limits fixed by the domestic legislation.

3   Brakes

Braking requirements are prescribed in Regulations 15 and 16 of C&U:

A trailer with a maximum design laden weight of more than 750 kg must be braked
An inertia (overrun) type braking system may be used up to a maximum permissible laden weight of 3500kg. 
It is not permitted to use an unbraked trailer, the laden weight of which exceeds 50% of the kerbside weight of the towing vehicle.
The braking system must be fitted with a device to stop the trailer automatically in the event of separation of the main coupling.  This is normally achieved by a breakaway cable attached to the parking brake mechanism which applies the brakes when the trailer becomes detached from the towing vehicle. However, for trailers up to 1500kg laden weight, it is permitted to use a secondary coupling (chain, wire rope, etc) which in the event of separation of the main coupling, will retain the trailer attached to the towing vehicle, prevent the nose of the trailer from touching the ground and provide some residual steering of the trailer.   
An inertia braking system must allow the trailer to be reversed with the towing vehicle without imposing a sustained drag force exceeding 8% of the technically permissible maximum mass of the trailer. Devices used for this purpose must act automatically and disengage automatically when the trailer moves forward.

4   Lights

The requirements for trailer lighting can be found in The Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989 as amended (SI No.1796).  A copy can be obtained from The Stationery Office, or see Section 7 below.

5   Suspension and Wings

Most trailers will need to be equipped with suitable suspension between each wheel and the frame of the vehicle as required by C&U Regulation 22.  They will also require wings or other similar fittings to catch mud, water, etc thrown up by the rotation of its wheels as required by C&U Regulation 63.  .

6   Coupling devices (Towbars)

Any coupling device fitted to a passenger carrying vehicle with up to eight seats plus the driver that:

a)  has European Whole Vehicle Type Approval (ECWVTA) and
   b)  that the manufacturer has authorised to tow a trailer and
   c)  is first registered on or after 1 August 1998

must be type approved in accordance with EU Directive 94/20/EC.  (Regulation 86B of C&U)

Modification to the coupling in any way, for example, by the addition of other devices that alter the position of the centre of a coupling ball, will render the approval invalid unless the coupling device manufacturer has taken this into account during approval of the device.  You will need to consult the manufacturer for advice.

A vehicle that has ECWVTA will have a Vehicle Identification Number plate (VIN plate) bearing the vehicle manufacturer’s name, chassis number and an approval number including the letter ”e” in a small rectangle.

If the manufacturer has not authorised the towing of a trailer by declaration during the type approval process, it is not permitted to fit a coupling device or tow a trailer.

7    Legislation

The Regulations referred to above may be obtained through The Stationery Office (TSO) under the references, SI 1986 No.1078 for the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations and SI 1989 No. 1796 for the Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations.  However, there have been many amendments to these base Regulations and it is important to obtain all of these in order to be aware of the current situation.   

As an alternative, you may find it easier to visit a good, city based, reference library where a publication such as The Encyclopaedia of Road Traffic Law and Practice, published by Sweet and Maxwell, may be available.  This publication tracks the amendments to legislation and presents them in a consolidated and up-dated form.  One of the volumes will contain both the Construction and Use and Lighting Regulations.

TSO Orders/Post Cash Department      Tel:  0870 600 5522
PO Box 29                  Fax:  0870 600 5533
Norwich                  Email: customer.services@tso.co.uk
NR3 1GN                  Website: www.tsoshop.co.uk

The RVLR amendments together with amendments to C&U from 1988 can be found as Statutory Instruments on the following web site: www.opsi.gov.uk/legislation

European Union legislation can be found on the European Union Law website at http://eur-lex.europa.eu/en/index.htm.

8   Other considerations

The above information relates to basic construction requirements and some aspects of the use of trailers.  In addition it is recommended that you check whether you have the appropriate Driving Licence entitlement and whether the vehicle or combination of vehicles requires a tachograph to record driver’s hours.  The latter will apply to most vehicles and combinations of vehicles above 3500kg gross weight, where used for commercial purposes.

For Driving Licence enquiries contact:
DVLA Customer Enquiries, Telephone 0300 790 6801

Further details are available at: www.direct.gov.uk

For Tachograph requirement enquiries contact:
Vehicle and Operator Services Agency, Telephone: 0300 123 9000

Further details are available at: http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/

Further information
If you require any further information regarding the content of this fact sheet, please contact the DfT at the address below:

Transport Technology and Standards
      Department for Transport
      Zone 2/05
      Great Minster House      Telephone: 020 7944 2091
      76 Marsham Street         Fax: 020 7944 2196
            London            Email: TTS.enquiries@dft.gsi.gov.uk
   SW1P 4DR

NOTE: The information in this document is a summary of the Departments understanding of what the law requires.  However, ultimately the interpretation of the law is a matter for the courts based on individual facts of any particular case.  You are therefore advised to consult the relevant legislation and, if necessary, seek independent advice.

ROD

« Reply #65 on: March 02, 2013, 02:25:04 PM »

Ah! Theyre the people I was going to phone on Monday,didnt think they were open Saturdays.
 Tis true the police are the ones to enforce the law,but what I meant was ,they arent exactly always clued up on each individual scenario. Ive found that they have varying views and ideas on the same subjects when it comes to specific 'odd' things,like trikes and trailers for instance.I'll have aread of the above stuff,thanks Terry.
  Have read the above,but cant see where it mentions Trikes specifically regarding sizes. Are trikes now in the same category as Bikes? It only mentions Trikes when it talks of the weight.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 02:30:50 PM by ROD » Logged
terry t

« Reply #66 on: March 02, 2013, 04:31:18 PM »

there not  open on Saturdays. ive had this email from them for a while now.
the weight is max unladen for a trike 254kg or 2 thrirds the trike weight. i also take it that its for class 3 trikes
tbone

« Reply #67 on: March 04, 2013, 06:45:37 AM »

http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=11172.0

NO I WON`T. aye ok then, i will
Olds

« Reply #68 on: March 04, 2013, 07:52:08 AM »

Thought I was having a severe case of deje vu.

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
  Print  

Jump to: