April 28, 2024, 11:48:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Trailing  (Read 17709 times)
ROD

« Reply #45 on: February 11, 2013, 02:23:45 PM »

Good info there BG,thanks.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #46 on: February 11, 2013, 04:05:16 PM »

What's it like to tow a trailer with a trike Bobbi? Does it restrict your riding in any way? I've ridden plenty of trikes, but never towed anything.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #47 on: February 11, 2013, 04:37:20 PM »

Most of the time I forget it's there, in fact I have to remind myself to stay within the towing speeed limits.  I't a bit disconcerting if I leave something rattling around inside the trailer cos I wonder if it's coming unhitched!

The only real difference I notice is going up a long hill, I might have to change down a little earlier.  And this is with just a 550cc engine, and a fully loaded trailer.  Which is why I have neither a spare wheel nor a jockey wheel - all extra weight!

But it really is good when I pack up the camping gear at the end of the weekend, just to dump it in the trailer instead of having to pack it carefully on the rack and cover it with a tarp and remember which bungee goes where.....  Makes it a lot easier.

If I ride to Basingstoke I'll bring the trailer, but unless it's a really sunny day (haha) I'm more likely to use the car with the trike on the towing dolly, I think that would be of interest to lots of folks.

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
morrag

Carpe diem!

« Reply #48 on: February 11, 2013, 07:15:58 PM »

I have built a few trailers of various types over the years, but a type that I haven't built uses a single, oil vane, damped wheel, and the only example I have seen in use, albeit many years ago, seemed very effective, and as you don't use an articulated hitch, but rather fixed arms, might suit a trike rather well I feel,worth checking out anyway Rod, ciao, Morrag

Beware the Ides of March, But!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #49 on: February 11, 2013, 08:25:15 PM »

If they're fixed arms, would it still count as a trailer? Or merely an extension of the vehicle?

morrag

Carpe diem!

« Reply #50 on: February 11, 2013, 11:17:25 PM »

Well, I would not be sure, but back in the day, it was described as a trailer, and is of course demountable, so not a fixed extension of the towing vehicle, which in the original case was a car, Morrag

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #51 on: February 11, 2013, 11:47:40 PM »

So what's an "oil vane, damped wheel"?
Sorry, just curious as to how it pivots. I've seen small single wheeled trailers being towed by scooters & microcars, but think they were on fixed axles.

nabsim

« Reply #52 on: February 12, 2013, 08:49:30 AM »

Someone was producing (or trying to) a one wheel trailer a year or two back Morrag. Can remember seeing it linked from some bike and trike related sites but can't think who it was or what they called it. Can't remember if it went into full production or not either

morrag

Carpe diem!

« Reply #53 on: February 12, 2013, 01:51:43 PM »

The trailer I saw was over 40 years ago, and manufactured quite successfully in the UK. The 'vane' damper was effectively the vertical shaft of the suspension unit running in a cylindrical oil-bath, with a vane welded to the shaft, it damped the oscillations inherently created by the road surface, thus keeping the plot running in the line of the towing vehicle. The guy who had this trailer swore by its efficiency, so.......

BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #54 on: February 12, 2013, 04:44:10 PM »

There are one-wheel trailers available designed specifically for towing from a motorcycle.

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
morrag

Carpe diem!

« Reply #55 on: February 12, 2013, 04:49:29 PM »

Yeah, BG, but those use conventional style articulated hitches to allow for the "banking" action of a solo when cornering, this type of trailer is designed to stay upright,as per conventional 3 or 4 wheeled vehicle towing, Morrag

ROD

« Reply #56 on: March 01, 2013, 11:11:28 PM »

Sorry to drag this up again......... Roll Eyes...having done more research on trikes towing trailers,I think I am right in saying that the sizes I quoted before are correct ,ie 2.5 M max from centre of trike axle to rear of trailer,and 1M max width. Someone has quoted chapter and verse on it from D of T regs. Im going to confirm it by phoning the DOT on Monday. So surely this would mean a teardrop is too large to tow dimension wise,let alone all the weight/braked/unbraked regs.
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #57 on: March 02, 2013, 12:47:25 AM »

Probably is, and I wouldn't even try with my little trike - but have you ever heard of a triker being stopped for towing an oversized teardrop?  I haven't!

Olds

« Reply #58 on: March 02, 2013, 06:52:41 AM »

I believe those figures are for solo motorcycles and motorcycle/sidecar outfits.
The only limit I can find is a 254kg gross weight of trailer and load instead of the 150kg limit for bikes and combos.
Don't think legislation has yet caught up with trikes but I could well be wrong. A call to VOSA might be a good idea.

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
hunter

« Reply #59 on: March 02, 2013, 10:22:22 AM »

No one seems to mention size,They all talk about weight,
Bit of a discussion going on here.
http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/chatter/display_topic_threads.asp?ForumID=10&TopicID=201306&PagePosition=1

I
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
  Print  

Jump to: