April 28, 2024, 05:35:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Trailing  (Read 17706 times)
ROD

« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2013, 07:49:15 PM »

I think what we've all forgotten is that there are restrictions of length/width on what can be towed behind a trike!
terry t

« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2013, 07:54:05 PM »

I think what we've all forgotten is that there are restrictions of length/width on what can be towed behind a trike!
What sizes are they then Rod
ROD

« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2013, 08:55:50 PM »

Cant remember! There was a thread/discussion on it a while back. Something like 2.5 metres from centre of trike rear axle to furthest point on the trailer. No more than 1 metre wide.The length should be ok for a Tear  drop,but if 1m width is correct,thats too narrow I reckon.
hunter

« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2013, 09:13:56 PM »

Going on those mesuerments you would have an internal size of approx 1.5mtrx1/2mtr.

I
terry t

« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2013, 09:19:42 PM »

Cant remember! There was a thread/discussion on it a while back. Something like 2.5 metres from centre of trike rear axle to furthest point on the trailer. No more than 1 metre wide.The length should be ok for a Tear  drop,but if 1m width is correct,thats too narrow I reckon.
Thats for a solo motorbike. motorbike and sidecar.
bitzman5

« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2013, 12:06:18 AM »

AS ABOVE THIS IS FOR A SOLO CYCLE a teardrop comes under a different categorize in size and weight if you look under THE PICO-LIGHT IN YOUR SEARCH ENGINE YOU WILL FIND DIFFERENT SHAPES OF TEARDROPS IF YOU CLICK ON Plans and illustrations in PDF file THY WILL OPEN UP AND GIVE YOU ALL DETAILS TO EACH TEARDROP JUST CLICK ON PIC OF TEARDROP YOU WANT AND THAT WILL OPEN ALL PLANS SIZES WEIGHT ETC

May your gardian angel fly faster than you can ride
ROD

« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2013, 03:04:52 PM »

Hmmm....I stand to be corrected,I hope Im wrong TBH,but didnt we have this discussion when BikerGran bought a trailer to tow behind her trike? I was sort of quoting from memory on what was said back then.
ROD

« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2013, 11:37:19 AM »

So ..continuing on with trailers behind trikes.......Sorry,cant do links,so unable to illustrate my thoughts......Ive seen quite a few pics of trikes towing trailers,some with smaller diameter wheels(eg about 10" trailer rims)or car sized (13"?) look better. Ive got a pair of rims (15") that are the same as the ones on my trike and Im wondering whether they may be over size,so cant decide. I personally think that trike trailers with the smaller diam (usually white painted)wheels look like they have been just hooked onto the back of the trike,while trailers with nicer looking wheels make the trailer look part of the complete unit. A lot of the American trike trailers have larger diam wheels,but English ones tend to have just a pair of white basic trailer type wheels.Whats your thoughts?
trikerpete

like a head with a sore bear :)

« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2013, 02:44:49 PM »

When I get around to modifying my lightweight trailer I intend to fit with matching 15" wheels that are on trike. Like you say std 10" wheels look silly Smiley

what do you mean, I cant do that !! Smiley
ROD

« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2013, 03:59:47 PM »

Looking on the practical side ,there are pros and cons using wheels that are same as the trike rears. Pros being you will probably have a spare for the trailer,therefore its a spare for the Trike.And as mentioned ,the whole rig will look more of a unit. That spare for the trailer is gonna take up a fair bit more space than a smaller wheel!
bitzman5

« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2013, 04:55:33 PM »

There's also the question about the center of gravity being lower with small wheels less pron to turn over

May your gardian angel fly faster than you can ride
nabsim

« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2013, 06:04:50 PM »

There's also the question about the center of gravity being lower with small wheels less pron to turn over

Think you can drop the chassis below te wheel centre as they are usually stub axle or indispension type units. Would give you bibber wheel arches though

ROD

« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2013, 06:31:36 PM »

Yes you could mount the units inside the trailer body,ie above floor level.I dont think it would greatly affect the load space,or stability. A while back I mounted the units like this when I built a flat bed trailer that needed to be as low as poss for loading stuff from a drop down rear ramp.
hunter

« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2013, 09:46:53 PM »

There is also the weight difference,
The fifteens will probably be three or four times heavier.

I
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #44 on: February 11, 2013, 12:05:07 AM »

As someone who tows a trailer, here's my five pennorth.

The trailer with small wheels looks fine behind the trike (if I can find a pic I'll post one)
I don't carry a spare, this was a conscious decision because of the weight, as my trike isn't very heavy and the law says that the maximum weight of unbraked trailer and load should not be more than half the weight of the towing vehicle.
My trailer is technically slightly oversize for the regs, so little in it that I don't worry about it, but I wouldn't want wheel arches taking up any of the space - also it would be less stable with the wheels inside.

Pic below is the trailer not actually hitched to the trike but gives the general idea.  It's an Erde 102
External Dimensions
Overall Length    1.74m    5’8”
Overall Width    1.25m    4’1”
Overall Height    0.82m    2’7″
Internal Dimensions
Length    1.06m    3’5”
Width    0.85m    2’9”
Depth    0.32m    1’2”

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  

Jump to: