April 25, 2024, 09:59:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 48
  Print  
Author Topic: Deliverance  (Read 238483 times)
Olds

« Reply #615 on: June 14, 2016, 11:26:05 AM »

Fitting the new valve seals requires removing the valves, which requires a valve spring compressor. No problem thinks I.
Errr, do'h ! My spring compressor is too big !
A few minutes with the angle grinder, drill and a bit of 25 x 5 mm steel bar and the problem's solved.
While the valves were out I did a decoke. Contact areas of valves and seats look great so didn't lap them, but I did make absolutely sure that each valve went back in it's original position.

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
minimutly

« Reply #616 on: June 14, 2016, 06:00:51 PM »

I made one just like that for changing springs on a series engines without taking the head off, stuff a bit of nylon roap on top of the piston and away to go.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #617 on: June 14, 2016, 07:42:32 PM »

I had a cast version of that once. Used it a couple of times on my old Morris Minors. It had a manufacturer's name on it, but I'm blowed if I can remember what it was.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 09:24:53 AM by Manky Monkey » Logged

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Olds

« Reply #618 on: June 15, 2016, 07:45:17 AM »

Probably Britool.
Remembered using one on a friends Moggy back in the 70's so I knew it would work before I started to make it.

Reason for overheating in the first place- a duff thermostat. Why the hell don't they ever fail in the open position.

BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #619 on: June 15, 2016, 09:19:27 PM »

When I used to work shifts and drive to work at night in the freezing cold, and home again in the morning when it was even colder, my thermostats ALWAYS failed in the open position - but I guess that's just sod's law!

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
Olds

« Reply #620 on: June 17, 2016, 11:07:32 AM »

Grin
Yesterday, after filling with new oil (despite the old stuff having only done 40 miles) and turning the engine over on the starter till the oil pressure light went out, I did a dry run (no coolant) as per fifers instructions for this type of head gasket. Not knowing how hot to let it get, I kept my hand on the back of the head and ran it till it was hot enough to be uncomfortable but not quite painful. Not very scientific I know.
At least the piston slap from number two cylinder has gone. Smiley
Today I re torqued the head and was surprised how much further the nuts moved and no I hadn't set the torque wrench differently. The gasket compressed so much that once I refitted the rocker shaft, there was no valve clearances. Shocked These have now been re set and once I have filled with coolant I shall do a full heat cycle then pull it apart and re torque the head again and undoubtedly have to re set the valve clearances, again
Oh what fun I am having. Tongue
« Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 11:22:18 AM by Olds » Logged

Olds

« Reply #621 on: June 17, 2016, 03:46:49 PM »

And the fun continues. Sad
Despite being carefull I seem to have cracked the thermostst housing. Nothing to see but when the engine starts getting warm coolant starts to leak out slowly from above one of the bolts.

fifer

« Reply #622 on: June 17, 2016, 04:39:39 PM »

Did you fit the housing after you had fitted the rocker cover ?

Confucious ; He say that man who take woman up hill , him not on level
Olds

« Reply #623 on: June 17, 2016, 06:21:36 PM »

Before, so it definitely didn't have any rocker box gasket stuck under it.
Only thing I can see is that the new thermostat seems to have a slightly thicker bead around the outside. Huh I was probably just a bit heavy handed with the spanner though I did tighten the three bolts up evenly and in small stages. Perhaps the metal has aged, it appears to be a zinc aluminium alloy.
On the inside you can just see the crack. New housing ordered but I shall try aluminium brazing this one as I also want to change the angle of the neck slightly and It will be good practice even if it goes wrong.

fifer

« Reply #624 on: June 17, 2016, 08:40:40 PM »

Aye , some of the new thermostat housings are not all they`re cracked up to be .  Smiley
You also get different thicknesses of gaskets .

Confucious ; He say that man who take woman up hill , him not on level
Olds

« Reply #625 on: June 19, 2016, 04:21:33 PM »

Aye , some of the new thermostat housings are not all they`re cracked up to be .  Smiley
Grin Grin
After doing a second full heat cycle and retoque, (with some sealer inside the housing) I took the trike out for a test ride to the workshop which is about five miles away. Nice to see everyone beavering away at various jobs.
Trike behaved perfectly, apart from some slight part throttle hesitancy. No overheating, leaking of vital fluids or clattering and the fan didn't come on until I got home and the trike was ticking over in the garage. Pulled the plugs and they are all a nice uniform beige colour, (even number three Smiley) so all seems great.
New thermostat housing should be here on Wednesday so we should be good to go for the rest of the summer. Grin

merv

« Reply #626 on: June 19, 2016, 04:32:25 PM »

That's good news, so no head needed

Why do every five minute job take all day, and
if it can go wrong it will go wrong
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #627 on: June 19, 2016, 08:28:39 PM »

Nice to see you earlier Dave. Trike looked good as always.

Olds

« Reply #628 on: August 05, 2016, 09:30:54 PM »

Somehow the cue ball gear knob disappeared while the trike was parked at the shops. Angry
Been replaced with one turned from an 8 ball.  Surprised how deep the white sections went. Not having a white gear knob somehow made the white handbrake lever look odd so this was bound with black cord.
Not big changes I know but...
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 09:33:55 PM by Olds » Logged

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #629 on: August 05, 2016, 10:06:37 PM »

There really are some nasty gits out there aren't there. Sorry to hear that Dave, but the changes look just as good as the originals.

Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 48
  Print  

Jump to: