April 29, 2024, 10:20:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 48
  Print  
Author Topic: Deliverance  (Read 238670 times)
stinkey

I can't stop building stuff ?,but I'm slowing down

« Reply #600 on: June 11, 2016, 08:12:01 AM »

Well I'm guessing head gasket was the main mechanical issue ? But being young/foolish/naive and exited about getting to the street rod Nats at knebworth caused a lack of concentration and after the first pullover on the A1 I didn't put the rad cap back on properly ? So a few mins down the road we pulled over again ( we as in my 8 month pregnant wife )and I placed a rag on the rad cap to loosen it ( won't do that again ?) which promptly blew up in my face/chest..OUCH ! Luckily my friend in the car behind managed to get me to the Lister hospital near Stevenage in time,I was badly burnt in deep shock and slipping into cardiac arrest..spent 10 days in hospital ward..lost a tooth due to the trauma as well ? Cheesy the funny part ( but you couldn't get away with nowadays ?) was my missus (about to drop any moment ?) and her also heavily pregnant friend,would both jump into her friends tiny invalid car ( the little blue single seater fibreglass ones ?) and drive up the A1/M to visit me  Cheesy

Backyard hotrodder,learnt by mistake,still learning ?
Olds

« Reply #601 on: June 11, 2016, 06:54:04 PM »

Ouch !  Not nice. Bet your missus was, a, Really worried about you and b, Really, really pissed off with your timing.

Gasket set arrived  Shocked. Looks to be much better quality than the last set. Has more metal around the cobustion chambers and the better valve seals so they will also get fitted. Might help with the oil problem on number three cylinder.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2016, 07:21:30 PM by Olds » Logged

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
Olds

« Reply #602 on: June 11, 2016, 07:04:05 PM »

Head off. Amazing what a bit of water in a running engine can do to clean up a cylinder.
No obvious damage and the head appears to still be flat when checked end to end and corner to corner.
Lots of cleaning up to do before sticking it back together.

fifer

« Reply #603 on: June 11, 2016, 07:12:39 PM »

Torque ;
With that type of cylinder head gasket it needs to be run without coolant for a minute on first torque assembly to set the glue /sealant .

1st Retorque ;
Then , after 8 hours or so , you fill the engine with coolant and retorque .
Run up to temperature and switch off and leave for a further 8 hours or so .

2nd and final Retorque ;

Full info at my site ;
https://sites.google.com/site/fifersrelianthintstips/cylinder-head

Confucious ; He say that man who take woman up hill , him not on level
minimutly

« Reply #604 on: June 11, 2016, 07:17:37 PM »

I see the original gasket was one of those cardboard ones, i wont use them, had to skim loads of mini heads for people who have. The new one looks decent though.
I think the point about rechecking the torque after a run is a good one, just as long as its all nice and cool.
Olds

« Reply #605 on: June 11, 2016, 07:38:50 PM »

Torque ;
With that type of cylinder head gasket it needs to be run without coolant for a minute on first torque assembly to set the glue /sealant .

Will do. Cheers.

I see the original gasket was one of those cardboard ones, i wont use them, had to skim loads of mini heads for people who have. The new one looks decent though.

Yep. Must admit the original didn't look to be of great quality. A real pain to clean it all off the head and I havn't started on the block yet. It broke up while taking off the head. Angry

stinkey

« Reply #606 on: June 11, 2016, 08:15:22 PM »

I don't think she was peed off with me ? And can you please let us all know who/where you got the gasket kit from please ?

Olds

« Reply #607 on: June 12, 2016, 07:37:32 AM »

Haldane International Ltd 07714748545 trading on ebay as classicbrakeandelectric8
£15.00 including P&P
A couple of small issues.
As usual a couple of holes in the head gasket could do with slight attention but it would fit as is and no swan neck to manifold gasket was included. But I make my own anyway.

fifer

« Reply #608 on: June 12, 2016, 10:55:28 AM »

Difference in the head gaskets ;

http://i423.photobucket.com/albums/pp316/fifer3w/CYLINDER%20HEAD/HEADGASKETDIFFERENCES_zpse05c0568.jpg
Deliverance

Manifold gasket modification to suit the manifold and head ;

http://i423.photobucket.com/albums/pp316/fifer3w/CYLINDER%20HEAD/MANIFOLDGASKETMODIFIED.jpg
Deliverance

Cylinder head inlet ports modification    ;

http://i423.photobucket.com/albums/pp316/fifer3w/CYLINDER%20HEAD/HEADSHOWINGORIGINALMETALBETWEENTHEINLETPORTSONTHELEFTANDTHEMODIFIEDONESONTHERIGHT.jpg
Deliverance

« Last Edit: June 12, 2016, 09:33:34 PM by fifer » Logged

Confucious ; He say that man who take woman up hill , him not on level
Olds

« Reply #609 on: June 12, 2016, 08:31:15 PM »

Smiley
Got all the remains of the old gasket off the block. 3 hours of carefull scraping and rubbing with green scouring pads with all holes plugged up.
Going to drop the sump as I'm sure there will be a some water in there. While that's off I will sort a known problem with this particular engine.
Number two piston is the wrong way around. Didn't notice it last time I had the head off but saw later it when I enlarged a hi res pic I had taken..
Seems the garage fairy's haven't sorted it, so .....
Should be lots of fun (not) seeing as the engine is still in the trike and there is not a lot of clearance underneath. Undecided
« Last Edit: June 12, 2016, 10:08:25 PM by Olds » Logged

stinkey

« Reply #610 on: June 13, 2016, 07:39:34 AM »

Haldane International Ltd 07714748545 trading on ebay as classicbrakeandelectric8
£15.00 including P&P
A couple of small issues.
As usual a couple of holes in the head gasket could do with slight attention but it would fit as is and no swan neck to manifold gasket was included. But I make my own anyway.

thank you kind sir Wink

Olds

« Reply #611 on: June 13, 2016, 08:23:23 AM »

Noproblemo stinkey.

Hmmm. Sump off and yes there was a small amount of coolant in there. Shame because I had only done 20miles since changing the oil.
Getting to the big end bolts is going to be a real pain as the oil pump is in the way. Almost tempted to leave the piston the wrong way round. Sad

Olds

« Reply #612 on: June 13, 2016, 10:24:08 AM »

The offending piston !  Cheesy Wasn't too bad getting it out. Used an old bathroom mirror on the floor to see what I was doing. Not helped by the fact that I managed to spear a knuckle on the botton of the dipsick and kept dripping blood onto the glass.
Now to try to find my ring compressor, that I havn't used (or seen) for about five years. Undecided

spanners

« Reply #613 on: June 13, 2016, 12:44:54 PM »

olds  just be shure the conrod is the right way round also as it could be the piston to rod that is wrong

dont really know why i,m saying this to you  as you will all ready know what i mean  ,you clever owd bugger,,, Wink Wink Wink

LIVE FAST  and  DIE YOUNG,,  past 50 AND STILL HERE  NOW. WAITING. FOR. THE. GRIM. REAPER
Olds

« Reply #614 on: June 13, 2016, 01:39:51 PM »

Cheesy
Yep checked the shell stops relative to crank rotation. The piston and rod had literally just been fitted the wrong way around in the block. At least I got to look at the crank journal and shells and I'm convinced that this is a low mileage engine that's had new pistons, rings and bearings fitted.

Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 48
  Print  

Jump to: