March 29, 2024, 12:40:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17]
  Print  
Author Topic: 3 wheeler, but not as we know it, Jim!  (Read 69020 times)
stinkey

I can't stop building stuff ?,but I'm slowing down

« Reply #240 on: April 14, 2018, 07:10:38 AM »

Dear newbie,not that I'm an expert but I'd check with other members before you start building anything which evolves cutting off outriggers etc ?
DVLA are cracking down on stuff now.. Cry

Backyard hotrodder,learnt by mistake,still learning ?
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #241 on: April 14, 2018, 01:47:28 PM »

Hiya. Welcome to the World of Mank Smiley
As Steve says, cutting the outriggers off the Scimitar chassis will put you into MSVA territory. You can add mounting brackets, or re-use original mounts for other purposes, (bolting a new suspension system to the old mounts etc), but as soon as you cut or heavily modify the chassis it should be inspected & re-registered.
Having said that, there's several guys here who've built trikes from scratch & put them through the MSVA test -it's not as difficult as you might think & there's always advice available here. Building a new frame may well be easier, (& prettier), than modifying an old one.
We like lots of photos to look at by the way Smiley

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Olds

« Reply #242 on: April 14, 2018, 03:59:32 PM »

Agreed. When DVLA are involved it's usually best to make a new chassis rather than cut up and use parts of an old one.

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
Farside

« Reply #243 on: April 16, 2018, 01:37:48 AM »

Points taken and heeded, thanks chaps.
The situation is slightly different in Ireland, but whether it's different in a better or a worse way, I've yet to find out.
I know that (same as the UK) a few years ago I could have done what I'm planning and nobody would have batted an eye, but now it's probably tighter.
One thing that used to be, and still will be, required is an Engineer's Report, insisted on by any insurance company (Carole Nash being about the only one that covers trikes here) before they'd issue cover. That was (and is) common for anything out of the ordinary.
I'm uncertain as yet what the legal status of the chassis will be, as it's not yet officially imported as a car, and has been sitting in my yard with its UK plates on for 15 years   Roll Eyes
I might just say I bought from some mad geezer up North.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #244 on: April 16, 2018, 02:58:18 PM »

Anyone we know? Smiley
Didn't realise you were in the Emerald Isle. As you say, it may be different there.
I've had to submit engineers reports a few times over the years, but they were usually just a matter of ticking boxes on a form & they accepted my local MOT bloke as a qualified auto engineer.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Farside

« Reply #245 on: August 05, 2018, 05:47:01 PM »

A slight update (tis just vapourware and in the realms of thinking about it, no metal has been cut yet).
A conversation with the Carole Nash rep on the phone, when I was renewing my bike insurance, revealed that a car-based trike needs an engineer's report, whereas a bike-based one goes through on the nod.
This changes things slightly (or a lot, depending).
I could, for example, get a Goldwing frame with logbook, rake and stretch the s**t out of it, and incorporate the frame into a spaceframe chassis with the Scim suspension at the front. Still a bike-based trike, from what they say.
Anyway, given it's not exactly unknown for one rep to say something and another one to contradict it, I'll be confirming this, and tell them exactly what I want to do.
As soon as I start cutting metal, I'll start a build thread.
Olds

« Reply #246 on: August 05, 2018, 06:09:37 PM »

Not sure that an insurance company rep. is the right person to give advice on vehicle modification legality. Thinks that a conversation with someone from the RSA might be a better start.
http://www.rsa.ie/Documents/NCT/NCT%20Manual%20Revise%20JULY%202014.pdf

BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #247 on: August 05, 2018, 11:20:11 PM »

I think the relevant matter is whether or not it's a 'bolt-on' type conversion, ie could be easily changed back to a bike.

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
Farside

« Reply #248 on: August 06, 2018, 02:27:12 AM »

Not sure that an insurance company rep. is the right person to give advice on vehicle modification legality. Thinks that a conversation with someone from the RSA might be a better start.
http://www.rsa.ie/Documents/NCT/NCT%20Manual%20Revise%20JULY%202014.pdf

My conversation related only to the insurance aspect of it.

I think the relevant matter is whether or not it's a 'bolt-on' type conversion, ie could be easily changed back to a bike.
Unwilling as I am to butcher a perfectly good GS850 frame of a bike I have a lot of time on (and attachment to), I think I'll dip my toe into the water with a bolt-on kit for the other GS, before I start the main project.
When it comes to cutting up a Goldie frame I've never ridden and don't care about, well that's different.
Olds

« Reply #249 on: August 06, 2018, 07:36:36 AM »

I know that the laws are different in your country but seeing as they have embraced European type approval, and all that entails, I'd be surprised if cutting up a frame would not involve some sort of inspection/registration procedure.
Perhaps start your own thread rather than tack this on to another persons build thread.

Farside

« Reply #250 on: August 06, 2018, 10:05:44 AM »

I know that the laws are different in your country but seeing as they have embraced European type approval, and all that entails, I'd be surprised if cutting up a frame would not involve some sort of inspection/registration procedure.
Perhaps start your own thread rather than tack this on to another persons build thread.
Yes, you're right. I've simply replied to others here, but this needs a thread of its own.
Apols for swerving this one.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17]
  Print  

Jump to: