April 19, 2024, 08:02:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 17
  Print  
Author Topic: 3 wheeler, but not as we know it, Jim!  (Read 69442 times)
morrag

Carpe diem!

« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2012, 02:47:53 PM »

Couple of inches shorter Rod, and considerably softer,I had them from a local guy who one time was a big time Rally spares outlet, but now running down, so unsure of what they were originally for, but like I say shorter and smaller diam. wire, so suits this set up. The rear springs may have to be stiffened up, although I'm building in reload adjusters, so I shall decide after initial running, whenever that will be!! Body and seats, well pretty standard alluminium torpedo type body riveted to a cage of small box section. No separate seats, just squabs and backrests due to lack of space, even then I may have to lose 1/2 stone Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin but at the mo, driveline being sorted.....Morrag ps Dave I shall give you a ring, or send a pm when the material arrives... Wink Wink

Beware the Ides of March, But!
ROD

« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2012, 03:00:04 PM »

After removing the Spit body and excessive weight,plus moving the engine back a bit,Im finding the front is high,with the wheels on positive camber. Im guessing I need shorter/softer springs. Will have to have measure up to see whats available.Where did you get your ones?
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 03:02:08 PM by ROD » Logged
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2012, 04:37:14 PM »

I picked up a copy of the latest Back Street Heroes magazine this morning, (issue 343). There's a feature in it on Malcolm Green's Virago engined "Morgan" style 3 wheeler from Northamptonshire.
Looks like he's used the original spoked Yam' back wheel with 1930s wire wheels on the front, possibly model Y Ford, mated to Moggy Minor hubs. He's made his own front A arms & mounted them directly from the engine mounts, using a Triumph Herald leaf spring, cut in half, for suspension. A tidy build.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 05:42:37 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
morrag

Carpe diem!

« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2012, 05:38:53 PM »

That does sound an interesting build Andy, I shall try and get hold of a copy. Funnily enough, I repaired a sailing dingy trailer for one of my brothers last year, and that used a pair of 1/4 ecliptics as suspension,90 degrees to the chassis, and I found that worth consideration! I have included a close up of the coil overs Rod,& as I said the springs are shorter, smaller gauge wire, and 1/4" smaller in diam, so considerably softer. To deal with the reduced diam. I machined new alloy top collars to suit, and prefabed smaller diam. steel bottom collars. Morrag

morrag

Carpe diem!

« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2012, 05:49:06 PM »

I of course favour wires Mark, but on the basis you can't see the rear wheel when the body is on,and that's a 16" GL 500 alloy wheel, and I had one K100 wheel,(plus two Brembo discs and callipers!) which has larger sized bearing housing compared to most 18" M/C wheels at 25mm bore, bearing in mind that the wheels are mow supported from inboard only, on new stub axles I have made, it seemed cost effective to obtain just one other. At some future time, and depending what turns up, then who knows!!

ROD

« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2012, 07:30:11 PM »

Funnily enuf,Ive just found a new pair of coils that may do the trick. They also are slightly smaller diam I think and I was just sorting out the possible smaller top and bottom cups!
panthershaun

« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2012, 04:12:35 PM »

I'm liking this...

you ain't it, till you've "Bobbed" a Brit!!!
morrag

Carpe diem!

« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2012, 06:43:35 PM »

It's the 3 Piece prop shaft that's my present headache Shaun, particularly with respect to eventual "Stripability!" for maintenance purposes, and in the search for vibration-less running, still I have a plan, and have ordered a pair of Pillow block bearings to that end, so shall post some pics when,(if!!), that plan moves forward!! Huh Huh Huh Cry Morrag

ROD

« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2012, 06:53:45 PM »

I dont know the dia of shaft you are intending to use etc,but could you do summat with the u/j's and splined ends from Spit half shafts maybe?
morrag

Carpe diem!

« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2012, 07:34:01 PM »

The 'loose' plan is a combination of standard "Silverwing" GL/CX shaft,2.5 ft. off 1" cds tube for middle prop. and a made up tail shaft, using 20mm thick wall cds, smaller H/S joint than usual car types, and rear "sliding" joint from half of an origonal GL/CX shaft I had kindly donated to me by a Forum member, Mr Mouse, soooo.............. that's plan A! so far Grin Grin Morrag

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2012, 10:11:40 PM »

Did I promise a Reliant prop to somebody? I've got a spare one in the shed.

ROD

« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2012, 10:26:46 AM »

You asked me a while back if it was any good to me,but it isnt. Thanks Anyway.
Cabman77

« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2012, 01:34:25 PM »

I`m going to be in need of another prop soon, when I change the engine on Cuyddles Trike. But I haven`t asked before so if someone`s in front of me in the queue then I`ll shall just shut my gob  Grin Grin Grin Grin

..........and Joshua entered Jericho on his Triumph..............
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2012, 04:37:22 PM »

I'll post in General Tech in case I'd promised it to someone else -yeah, my memory really is that bad. If no-one claims it, tis yours Cabby.

dave 67

« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2012, 09:03:10 PM »

I have a st1100 drive shaft if anyone wants it all I'm asking is postage money for it

never to old to learn
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 17
  Print  

Jump to: