April 20, 2024, 02:56:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Bending Pipe and Tube for fun and profit  (Read 11552 times)
hunter

« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2012, 09:35:47 PM »

Hi Hunter.  This is an experiment in getting the best from what I currently have to find the best set up for the bender.  I have some CDS coming on Friday.  However, As the current pipe is 3/16" wall thickness that comes to about 4mm does it not, certainly it measures over 3 mm?Huh  Or are you saying that the wall thickness needs to be thinner to get a decent bend? - i'm confused now Smiley ( Always actually )

Sorry Andy, to late posting 1.24am and to much meds,Head shot,
 I think i made a miscalculation Embarrassed

I
ROD

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2012, 07:37:41 PM »

Andy,somehtings wrong here! That cant be ERW! It looks totally cr*p!
spanners

« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2012, 08:02:52 PM »

Andy,somehtings wrong here! That cant be ERW! It looks totally cr*p!

school table leg ? ? ?  Wink Cheesy

LIVE FAST  and  DIE YOUNG,,  past 50 AND STILL HERE  NOW. WAITING. FOR. THE. GRIM. REAPER
andyrennison

« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2012, 04:02:54 PM »

Its painted which makes it look bad, I got 24 meters of it for £20 from a local scrap metal place.  Ive been using it for practicing welding, bending and and so on.  I just took delivery of 12 meters of beautiful brand new cold drawn - about to go play with that Smiley

Thousands of candles can be lit from a single candle,
and the life of the candle will not be shortened.
Happiness never decreases by being shared
andbolt0

« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2012, 06:00:14 PM »

theres one for sale in the for sale sect says its great for erw not so good on cds if you get your steel from a steel stock holder ask for bending quality  when ordering   remember if the frame is not 100% its your life  at risk sounds a bit harsh but thats the  way it is   the clarke bender comes with six formers in the frame there are six holes where the rollers go  this in not by coinsidence when using the small former use  the holes closest  to the center and  and when using the large former  use the holes at the endsthis will give the correct radius of bend  with out kinking  to avoid dents where the rollers touch the tube cut a small piece of tube you are bending an d cut it down the length into three pieces use one of these pieces in between the rollers and the tube it will spread the pressure and not dent the tube hope this helps  andy b
andyrennison

« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2012, 11:10:49 PM »

Hi Andy. Yes, I fully agree with the safety thing. In the end I decvided to sitch this stuff I have and use some proper stuff (From K steels in Rawtenstall BTW). Funnily enough we made the peices for the rollers this afternoon. Just have to make a nice packer for the bending former now.  I have steel sheet, and Lead here, gonna try with the lead to see how that behaves.  Pics will follow.  I am hoping that by carefully working all this out I can end up with a decent result with the CDS I got frok K's  Thanks for the advice Smiley

ROD

« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2012, 06:58:26 AM »

Whose Kaye?? Grin Grin Grin
digger06

« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2012, 10:01:52 AM »

if you cant get 90 deg bends, buy some and slug em to straights,
90 deg can still be achieved with a bigger diameter former (for same dia pipe though) it,l lessen the chance of kinking, though i doubt you will be able to get hold of, (or want to buy) such a thing easily, and it might not go with the trikes shape
andyrennison

« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2012, 10:39:04 PM »

Hi everyone.  *** SUCCESS ! ***
After a lot of trial and error I have managed to find a way of getting a near perfect 90 degree bend in both ERW and CDS using a cheap clark type bender. There is still one more experiment before I feel I can say with confidence “this works” – but I am very near (see below). 

Thank you to everyone who made comments / posted links etc - it has all been invaluable to my understanding. I am sure there is still much more to learn Smiley

A few extra components are used to get these results with the bender, these are:
•   An adjustable clamp
•   A pressure shim
•   A bending shim
•   2 roller followers

Here is the technique I have been using:

Create a pressure clamp.
a.   Drill a hole into the former centrally below the forming curve
b.   Create a strap to fit over the pipe that can be secured with a bolt through the hole at (a) – This needs to be a high tensile bolt or it will bend. I used the inner of a rawlbolt.
c.   Weld a nut to the top of the strap and fit a bolt so that the pipe can be held firmly in the former.

Create a pressure shim
•   This shim will go between the pressure bolt and the piece to be bent.  This stops the bolt point pressure dinging the piece in.
•   Cut a short length of pipe / tube with about a 45 degree arc, and spread it so it follows the Outside of the work piece

Create a bending shim
•   Take a length of tube / pipe sufficient to line the bending former.
•   Cut a 110 degree section out of the tube / pipe.  I did this then chopped the length off as its easier to handle in that sequence
•   Put the open slot of the piece over a piece of same diameter tube and wallop it with a hammer to force it open. Eventually with care the cut tube will nestle nicely on the outside of the piece to be bent

Create roller followers
•   Both rollers have a follower between the roller and the work piece
•   This is formed in a similar manner to above by cutting down the length of a tube to create 2 X 180 degree pieces
•   These are opened up to fit by the delicate use of a big hammer as above.

Fill the pipe with sand. This is achieved by
•   Sealing one end with insulation tape, - yes the pressure at the end will be that low!
•   Filling the pipe with water
•   Carefully putting wet sand into the open end until the pipe is full of sand and the water displaced
•   Tamp down the sand inside the pipe / tube with a wooden dowel
•   Put in more sand
•   Seal the open end with tape

Assembling it all
Pretty much as it seems, I oiled everything that moved as they went together

Technique
The bending shim starts off straight below the work peice, and ends up bent into the bending former.  As the bend is started the work piece will move down into the bending shim. I regularly took up the slack with the pressure shim and bolt.  Eventually the forces reverse, and the centre of the work piece will try to rise out of the former, thats when the pressure shim does it's work.  I started on the outermost roller, then move in one set, then moved in again, and I took my time

Results
The pictures below shows the components assembled with a length of CDS in the bender bent to 90 degrees.

Concerns
In each instance I started with a straight bending shim and allowed it to bend down with the pipe / tube.  I have not yet tried a second tube bend using the preformed bending shim.

andyrennison

« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2012, 10:44:06 PM »

here are the results. They look pretty good in real life Smiley

dobber

« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2012, 11:01:25 PM »

they look way better than mine. i suspect ur a genius.   nice

no rush fella, take all the time you need,
        can i have it in 20 Min's?
digger06

« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2012, 05:09:50 AM »

very nice tight bends
nabsim

« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2012, 12:34:40 PM »

As I was reading through I thought this needs pictures, as I got further down I found the pictures Smiley

Amazing how I can get the complete wrong end of something, where you have been saying drill a hole through the former I was thingking it was inside the radius and couldn't imagine how it would work. Seeing the picture it is under the former and makes perfect sense Smiley

Well done Andy

andyrennison

« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2012, 08:47:03 PM »

Cheers guys. Now I feel I can finally start on the frame Smiley

ROD

« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2012, 01:15:26 PM »

Aw,and I was looking forward to a Rennison explanatory video!! Grin
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: