April 28, 2024, 08:11:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
  Print  
Author Topic: New Years Day @ the Phoenix  (Read 14402 times)
phunkie hiboy

« on: December 05, 2011, 05:29:29 PM »

Don't for get January 1st at the Phoenix pub. Thats Phoenix Green, Hartley Whintney

Built without compromise, by the more luck than judgment method.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2011, 10:18:44 PM »

Yup, I've been going to the Phoenix Green meet for nearly 30 years. A great way to blow away the post Christmas cobwebs.
Classic cars & bikes of all types. From mid morning to mid afternoon. "The Phoenix", beside the A30, Phoenix Green, Hartley Whintney, Hants.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Galaxie500

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2011, 10:15:43 AM »

I hope to be there again this year in the Galaxie  Smiley
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2011, 07:28:30 PM »

Cool! I'll look out for you.

Galaxie500

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2011, 01:14:45 PM »

I'm sure some of the other Guzzlers will be there too.
57gmc

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2011, 08:12:56 PM »

I will try and get there if i finish rebuilding the truck suspension and wiring,
or i will be taking the bus, that will mean i need to start on my way about boxing day
Clive

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2011, 03:17:19 PM »

Might pop up with my son to this, try and walk off the crimbo excesses!!

That was drive up, and then walk about, not walk all the way before someone starts!!!! Smiley

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2011, 10:21:19 PM »

Can't you borrow the company vehicle Clive?

deadly

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2011, 11:08:06 PM »

I will try and get there if i finish rebuilding the truck suspension and wiring,
or i will be taking the bus, that will mean i need to start on my way about boxing day

shall we start the cruise early then??? hoping to take the '49 peterbilt-parking will be fun!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2011, 11:36:10 PM »

Grin
Hiya Derek. I'll definitely be there but Taz may be working.
If anyone's thinking of trying this one for the first time, I'd recommend turning up early as a lot of vehicles arrive & leave early or just pass through.
Well worth a look.

57gmc

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2011, 08:12:49 AM »

I will be there in the truck, see you all then
Mark
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2011, 12:17:58 PM »

See you there Marky matey. Wink

renegade53

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2011, 12:23:02 PM »

i'll be going to brooklands, not sure what the skellys will be dressed as  Wink

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2012, 10:43:42 PM »

Just realised we didn't post this one on the events calendar, (at the top of this page).
As predicted, my missus Taz had to work today, (she runs a horse stable yard), so it was a solo trip for me. For once I was organised enough to be there by around 9.30 in the morning to find it wasn't as busy as I'd expected. Spoke to several people who reminded me that the Brooklands historic race circuit, about 30 miles away, was also hosting a classic meet today, so many of the vintage machines may have headed there instead.
Needn't have worried though -by mid morning the place was heaving. Never seen it so busy. The country might be in the grip of an economic slump, but seems people are determined to get out & enjoy themselves & are gonna drive their cars no matter what. The unusually mild weather must've helped too.
I've no idea how long this meet's been going, but I've been attending it for over 30 years now. The Phoenix pub stands beside the busy A30, which used to be the main route between London & the West Country until the M3 motorway was built. The pub's been the meeting place of the classic car club, as well as several one make clubs, for many years & it's they who initiated the New Years Day meet.
It might not show in my snapshots, but it's a very busy road. By lunchtime every spare strip of grass verge held classic cars, trucks & bikes & the central reservation became a temporary carpark. Local hotrod clubs The Surrey Street Rodders & The Guzzlers were both there -nice to see you guys.
I always wonder what weekend drivers just passing through must make of it all. They trundle by, on their way to the garden centre or the DIY store or whatever, & suddenly find themselves among 100s of 1000s of pounds worth of classics, abandoned all over the place, with the pavements lined with onlookers.
Although there's still plenty of huge vintage tourers about, the number of hotrods attending has increased in recent years & I've heard mutterings from the classic crowd that they're hijacking the meet. The rodders were well behaved though, with none of the burnouts & engine revving you get elsewhere. Besides, they share a common love of vintage tin. I really hope the 2 factions can enjoy this event together, cos I love seeing the classic stuff being driven instead of sitting in a museum somewhere -plus I hope to take my own rod along next year!
A great day out. Beautiful machines everywhere you looked, lots of old mates to chat to & a genuinely friendly atmosphere. The skies stayed clear all morning, but as things began to wind down around 1.30 in the afternoon & I made my way back to my boring commuter car, tucked away in a side road, the rain began to fall. Perfect timing.
I took over 500 snaps, but with our photo galleries still offline, I'll post a few dozen here for now.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 11:27:31 AM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2012, 10:49:55 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
  Print  

Jump to: