April 29, 2024, 06:21:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]
  Print  
Author Topic: NSRA Hot Rod Drags - SCR - 14th/16th September 2012  (Read 30649 times)
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #165 on: October 05, 2012, 10:25:51 AM »

Yup, that is indeed Steve & Lesley's "Black Pig Too" Chevy engined "Slingshot", (a style of dragster where the driver sits behind the rear axle with his legs actually hooked over the top of the axle tubes & his groin pressed against the diff casing -rather him than me if something blows!). They're currently on holiday in the States, driving Route 66, but he's promised me an end of season race report when he gets back.
There are half a dozen drag racing tracks dotted around the country, mostly on old World War 2 airfileds. Shakespeare County Raceway's had several names over the years, but was Long Marston airfield during the War. They had to build the huge black & white concrete wall behind the track after complaints about noise from residents of nearby Stratford on Avon. There's a strict 5pm curfew for racing for the same reason. 
This is probably the biggest hotrod meet of the year there, the other main one being the Nostalgia Nationals a few months earlier. The rest of the year they race more modern stuff, as well as hosting the Bulldog Bash bike show every August. It's the rods that attract me though, so this is the one to go to, as far as I'm concerned.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]
  Print  

Jump to: