May 01, 2024, 12:40:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
  Print  
Author Topic: NSRA Nostalgia Nationals - 23rd/24th June 2012 - SCR  (Read 15791 times)
Tony oily bike

« on: November 22, 2011, 07:41:54 PM »

National Street Rod Association Nationals, at Shakespear County Raceway.

Not much info on their website as of 2011-11-22................

http://www.shakespearecountyraceway.com/index.asp

http://www.shakespearecountyraceway.com/eventdetails.asp?event=74
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 07:46:47 PM by Tony oily bike » Logged

There's nowt as light as a hole, so add lightness.

Our lady of blessed acceleration, don't fail me now! - Elwood Blues

Nitro doesn't add power, it multiplies it! Bob Loux, running 10.07 secs @138mph on a 650 normally aspirated Triumph drag bike in 1965!

"Incontinence Hotline" - please hold.
Tony oily bike

« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2012, 07:20:56 AM »

SCR website has further info

http://www.shakespearecountyraceway.com/eventdetails.asp?event=97

Nitro doesn't add power, it multiplies it! Bob Loux, running 10.07 secs @138mph on a 650 normally aspirated Triumph drag bike in 1965!

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2012, 11:42:41 AM »

That's a great logo.
Don't know how long it's gonna take to get the rest of the paperwork done on my truck to get it road legal, but one way or another I'm determined to get it there, even if we have to trailer it & just cruise the campsite in it.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Tony oily bike

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2012, 05:59:38 PM »

Logo looks similar to Dean Moon's Mooneyes

Be good to see the MankyMobile/truck trundling the campsite....... maybe run it down the strip too??

Here's footage that includes Mooneyes at Brighton back in 1963
http://www.britishpathe.com/video/speed-on-the-front/query/dragsters
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 06:01:21 PM by Tony oily bike » Logged

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2012, 10:01:00 AM »

Well the Manky truck won't be there, but Brock & BlackPig, (Steve & Lesley), will be racing their "BlackPig Too" slingshot dragster.
Mr Cunningplan, (Tony), will hopefully be debuting his brand new Toppolino bodied car too, as featured in his build thread hereabouts.
My missus, Tazet, & I will be there for the day on Sunday -she normally works 7 days a week, so it'll be the first time we've been together in the same place at the same time for quite a while.
Both race teams are looking for crew for the weekend, particularly Tony, who's travelling to the meet all on his own. So if you fancy a weekend or a day of nostalgic 50s/60s drag racing & maybe getting involved in the pits, even if just making the tea, get yourself to Shakespeare County Raceway, near Stratford on Avon next weekend. 
Not cheap at 18 quid a ticket for the Sunday, but you get a campsite full of hotrods & period bobbers, full access to the pits so you can get up close to the action, trade stalls, bar, food etc, plus grandstand seating for a full day's ear splitting, ground shaking, tyre smoking, high speed racing.
See you there.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 10:27:18 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2012, 10:43:37 PM »

Bit of a mixed day, but ultimately, it turned out fine.
Taz & I arrived mid morning to find the place unusually quiet. The campsite was virtually empty & there were perhaps just 8 or 9 trade stalls. Seems the foul weather over the last few days, weeks had either sent the weekend campers home early or they just hadn't come at all.
This weekend also saw the first of a new hotrod event in Belgium, with over 100 British rods in attendance, many of whom are normally regulars at the Nats, plus several of the trade stalls that would normally be here too. A pity they clashed, but with more shows than ever in the calendar, there's only so many cars to go round.
We made our way over to the pits & parked up alongside Tony's "Cunning Coupe". He was on his own for the debut appearance of his new race car, so Taz had volunteered for crewing duties. Fine by me -that meant I was free to wander around the pits & campsite with the camera. I love the sight & sound & spectacle of drag racing, but must admit, I don't really follow the rankiings closely. I'm just there to enjoy the atmosphere.
A few race tents up from Tony's motor home were my brother Steve & his wife Lesley, with The Black Pig Too slingshot dragster & Scottie the Hotrod Haulier & his lady Gina with the Tiki Munki coupe. 3 forum members racing at the same meet.
The weather wasn't looking promising. There hadn't been any racing all morning & as we sat about in the pits, the black clouds began rolling in from the horizon. "Shakespeare County Raceway" used to be Long Marston airfield during the war & as such, is wide & flat & offers absolutely no shelter from the weather -when it's bad you get drenched & battered by the wind. When it's good you get fried by the sun. Today it was most definitely bad.

Taz, Zak I think, Scottie.
"Tiki Munki", a Pinto engined Austin Ruby, next to Scottie's diesel taxi cab engined Chevy push car.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 05:38:48 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2012, 10:45:37 PM »

Tony, (CunningPlan), a bloke, Steve, (Brock). 

Time to put the roof up on the convertible.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 10:05:14 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2012, 10:53:20 PM »

The track has to be completely dry before racing can start, so even when the bouts of heavy rain had passed, the track team had to spend ages driving up & down in their ex council road sweeper, clearing away the surface water. Then it needs to be warm, to provide grip for the tyres. It seemed that all morning, just as one cloud bank was replaced by a few minutes of sunshine, another mountain of black cloud would appear. By lunchtime many of the race crews were packing up & calling it a day. 

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2012, 10:55:55 PM »

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2012, 11:13:24 PM »

All was not lost though. Finally, the clouds drifted away & the sun broke through. The track crew did their thing again & eventually, at 3 in the afternoon, they were ready to roll.
Tarpaulins were pulled off cars, engines were checked, tyre pressures checked ...one by one motors began rumbling into life. This is what everyone was here for. The field may have been much depleted, but that just meant everybody could get more runs in, with less queueing in the fire up lane. Local council noise regulations mean the track has to shut down at 5pm, but in those last 2 hours, there was some stonking racing, with Tony, Scottie & Steve's club, The Wild Bunch, getting in 2 complete rounds, plus action from the Gasser Circus & the vintage sprint bike guys.
Tony's new car ran faultlessly with some very creditable times, Scottie & Gina did well as always, running very consistantly, & big brother Steve achieved a personal best. Correct me if I'm wrong Steve - 9.4 seconds for the quarter mile at 148mph?
Yeah, it was a shame the weather was so lousy to start with, but I still managed to get quite badly sunburnt by the end of the day. It was a shame there were so few people there, but the cars that stayed were gorgeous. And 18 quid for 2 hours of racing's pretty darn expensive, but they were a great 2 hours, with everyone coming away happy. Taz really enjoyed her crewing & hopefully I got a few good piccies.
Fingers crossed for the next nostalgia meet, the Hotrod Drags in September. See you there.
Here's a random selection of wet & dry photos.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 10:11:09 AM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2012, 11:14:28 PM »

Big bad Baracuda.

Just as big Jaguar -white walls on a dragster?
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 10:07:38 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2012, 11:15:17 PM »

One of my favourites of the day. Super cool Cadillac.

"Roarin' Rat" -one of the big name cars. '57 Chevy. A star of many magazine features & trackside wins. 

« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 10:13:36 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2012, 11:16:16 PM »

Gassers.
The high riding front end's supposed to help push the back end down on the tarmac under acceleration to help traction.
Does it work? Who cares, it's cool!
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 10:16:59 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

poprodder

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2012, 12:29:09 PM »

gassers..... Grin Grin Cool Cool

great pics andy.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2012, 10:22:03 PM »

Members of the Gasser Circus

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
  Print  

Jump to: