April 27, 2024, 10:28:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Balloonatics.  (Read 2776 times)
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« on: August 04, 2006, 08:02:01 PM »

How's this for the immediacy of modern technology -I've spent the last hour or two in our local park at the annual "Balloons Over Basingstoke" festival. The park's only 5 minutes walk away from my flat so I've nipped home for a glass of coke & a choccy biscuit then I'm going back for the "Nightglow" -balloon burners, lasers & fireworks in the darkness set to music. Thought I'd share a couple of snapshots with you. I often moan about Basingstoke but I must admit there's a lot going on here if you take the time to go & find it. My little digi camera's useless for night time shots but I'll have a go. Later people.   Grin 
Up, up & away...
« Last Edit: August 04, 2006, 08:08:30 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2006, 08:02:45 PM »

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2006, 10:38:02 PM »

I'm back  Grin
That was good, very impressive.
I'd forgotten it was Friday night, during the school holidays, so taking a shortcut through Basingstoke town centre probably wasn't a good idea. Swarms of pumped up chavvy idiots, the streets already ankle deep in litter, the air full of the smell of canabis, cheap alcohol & cheaper aftershave. Horrible screeching teenagers, bellowing foul-mouthed cretins -& that was just the girls.
Got to the local park & it was a different matter though. A nice family atmosphere. Several thousand people, a fairground, food stalls etc. The "Nightglow" display lasted about 40 minutes. Very well done. A dozen balloons, tethered close together in an arena with the woods as a backdrop. Synchronised balloon burns set to Jeff Waynes "War of the Worlds". Pyrotechnics, coloured smoke, an animated face projected onto the central balloon in lasers, speaking Richard Burton's narrative: "No-one would have believed in the last years of the 19th century, that human affairs were being watched from the timeless Worlds of space".
Would make a great set piece for an outdoor concert. Very spectacular.   
« Last Edit: March 05, 2007, 01:27:10 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2006, 10:41:33 PM »

Sadly, it wasn't "Baboons over Basingstoke" as I'd hoped -primates fired out of cannons would've been great I think, but the balloons were an interesting spectacle anyway. 

Plainy Janie

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2006, 08:13:21 AM »

I managed to get there too!   Unfortunately the people I was meeting decided not to go Sad  and Dave wasn't interested either so I stood by myself.  It was pretty impressive stuff.  I was standing behind the huge phillips and churchill balloons, near one of the entrances - didn't see you there Manky.  My digital camera piccies came out all blurred, so I won't bother posting them.

The Old Manor Cafe is now on Facebook.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2006, 10:23:13 AM »

Aww Honey, why didn't you ring me? Told you I was going. We could've eaten hot doughnuts then gone on the fairground rides till we were sick. x
« Last Edit: August 05, 2006, 11:00:48 AM by Manky Monkey » Logged

BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2006, 06:44:36 PM »

Great phots!

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2006, 08:33:05 PM »

A full gallery in the rally/Show Photos bit, although Yodie's mis-spelt Festival & I don't know how to correct it!

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2006, 09:25:35 PM »

He's sorted it now! Thanks Yodles. Smiley

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: