May 07, 2024, 05:29:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Help! I need a hole!  (Read 3376 times)
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« on: May 16, 2012, 12:03:01 PM »

Trying to drill some holes in my ally trailer to fit clips for the numberplate (so I can swop it over when using car/trike) - just can't get the hole started!

So I tried using a smaller drill to make guide hole - nbg.
Haven't got a centre punch so I tried using a six inch nail to make a dent to get me started - nbg either!

Any suggestions?

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
trev

« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2012, 12:12:45 PM »

you could try putting a bit of masking tape where the hole needs to be.remark and try again.

yes but can blue men sing the whites?
spanners

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2012, 12:13:40 PM »

are you sure its ally ? i thought it looked galvanised
are you using ,, pound land drill bits  ,lol,,

LIVE FAST  and  DIE YOUNG,,  past 50 AND STILL HERE  NOW. WAITING. FOR. THE. GRIM. REAPER
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2012, 12:17:04 PM »

You're spot onm Spanners, when I typed ally I had a feeling it wasn't right!

Brand new drills, make is 'Faithful' - doesn't mean a thing to me!  But they just slide around.

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
spanners

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2012, 12:27:05 PM »

You're spot onm Spanners, when I typed ally I had a feeling it wasn't right!

Brand new drills, make is 'Faithful' - doesn't mean a thing to me!  But they just slide around.
well a little dot with a sharp centre punch or a hardened nail then start of with something like a 1/8 drill bit
as trev said a bit of masking tape stuck on first will help stop the drill bit ,scittering about

LIVE FAST  and  DIE YOUNG,,  past 50 AND STILL HERE  NOW. WAITING. FOR. THE. GRIM. REAPER
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2012, 12:31:09 PM »

Note for the future - Don't buy 'faithful' drills.  First hole achieved with B&Q drill!  Didn't see the bit about masking tape, would if I knew where it was was but think I'll just carry on now while I'm winning (only 5 holes to go!)

Thanks folks!

BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2012, 02:38:36 PM »

Isn't it funny how thw long way of doing something is often quicker in the end?   I couldn't be bothered to find the masking tape so I had a go at doing it without, with not a lot of success.  So I had a hunt for some masking tape, Mike had some when he was decorating the house, odd plastic sort of stuff so I tried that - wouldn't stick at all!
So I started the long hunt for my own proper masking tape, the peper sort.  Garage?  Not in the cupboard, on the shelves, in the toolbox.  OK try the little shed - nope, not there either.  Delve into my big shed that gets stuff shoved in all anyhow and eventually, yay!  Found it!
Darn.  Been there so long it's completely dried out and won't stick.

So I sat and had a think and I thought, what else can I use?   And it came to me......

Elastoplast did a great job!

Grin Grin Grin

andbolt0

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2012, 11:30:25 PM »

Elastoplast did a great job!

watch it dont heal up you will never get yer screws in
stumpy

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2012, 11:29:29 AM »

Grin

stumpy can't voice his opinion here
digger06

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2012, 06:33:25 AM »

if you havnt got a centre pop, you can grind an old thread tap to a point, works very well
one arm bandit

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2012, 09:37:23 AM »

or use an old dart makes a good scriber or center punch
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2012, 01:36:31 PM »

Cheers all, sorted! 

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: