May 17, 2024, 03:36:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 174
  Print  
Author Topic: Manky's XS650 Yamaha  (Read 554127 times)
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #285 on: October 15, 2012, 08:23:36 PM »

To be honest, the springs barely move Fred. More for show really.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #286 on: October 24, 2012, 09:28:36 PM »

Started bending up a pair of rear mudguard struts from a length of 10mm steel rod, picked up for £1 from the local scrap metal yard.
I plan to mirror these with a pair on the front guard. They'll eventually be chromed.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #287 on: October 27, 2012, 09:55:29 PM »

Made a pair of tabs that bolt to the original mudguard mounts on the fork legs, then bent a pair of 8mm rods to form the front hoops. They need to be a bit closer to the tyre, but summat like this.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #288 on: October 27, 2012, 09:59:56 PM »

Then I started cutting a sheet of heavy guage steel for the seat base. Loony preferred to leave this area open, but I plan to mount the electrical stuff under it, so don't want it all being soaked by rain etc. The seat springs will mount to the back edge & I'll add a mudguard mount underneath. Then I'll cut an access panel in the middle. A bit more trimming & it should drop into place so Loony can weld it along the centreline of the seat rails.

Olds

« Reply #289 on: October 30, 2012, 05:49:48 AM »

Coming along very nicely sir. Smiley

Getting older but no wiser! Just using bigger hammers.
The answer to most problems, fire and lots of it.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #290 on: October 30, 2012, 11:13:15 PM »

Just a fill-in project while I wait for parts for the Pop. I seem to have missed you every time you call at the workshop -sorry!

spanners

« Reply #291 on: October 31, 2012, 12:31:27 AM »

Just a fill-in project . I seem to have missed you every time you call at the workshop -sorry!
thats because youre not there working  Cheesy Cheesy

LIVE FAST  and  DIE YOUNG,,  past 50 AND STILL HERE  NOW. WAITING. FOR. THE. GRIM. REAPER
Al

« Reply #292 on: October 31, 2012, 01:00:57 AM »

LOOKING REALLY GOOD THOSE MUDGUARDS STRUTS DO FINISH THE BACK END OF NICE AND CLEAN
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #293 on: October 31, 2012, 11:16:20 AM »

Cheers. They're only propped in place at the moment, (Mr Lunatic's going to get some lathe practice by machining the mounting lugs to bolt them to the frame).
The seat panel's actually quite complicated, with an access hole cut in it to reach the electrics that'll be underneath, a flange cut to form a lip under that hole, a lid cut to sit in the hole, on the lip, recesses cut for the Dzus fasteners to hold it shut, a curved tab under the back edge to hold the front of the mudguard, a suspended platform underneath to house the electrical components -not a 5 minute job & needs a bit of thinking about to get it right.
Mike, I do actually do an 8 hour shift at work every day before going to the workshop you know!  Tongue
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 10:07:49 PM by Manky Monkey » Logged

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #294 on: October 31, 2012, 10:16:09 PM »

Access hatch cut in the seat base.
This will give me access to the electrical components. Rather than housing them in a sealed 'leccy box, they'll be bolted to a platform mounted below the seat. Removable side panels will give side access as well -I've learnt from past experience that it'll always be the component in the unreachable far corner of the box that wil pack up in the dark & rain on a country lane in the middle of nowhere. Not being inside a closed box will also stop things from over heating.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #295 on: October 31, 2012, 10:19:45 PM »

Parts made to produce a flush fitting lid to the panel.
The corner pieces will be spot welded to the underside of the flange to hold the Dzus fasteners. The flange will then be welded under the main panel. Hopefully the lid will then drop in on top & sit flush.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #296 on: October 31, 2012, 10:22:37 PM »

Electrical components.
The bike was running when I bought it, but I ended up just pulling the bodged up loom apart & throwing everything in a box, along with a few spare bits that came with the bike.
So without going into too much detail, can anyone tell me which components need to be mounted close to which other components in my box?

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #297 on: October 31, 2012, 10:25:27 PM »

Twin lead coil.
Not the original Yamaha fitting, (it should have 2 seperate ones), but was on the bike when I got it. Will this be O.K or should I buy the proper jobbies? (available new from YamBits).

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #298 on: October 31, 2012, 10:28:17 PM »

Ignition unit. I know that's what it is cos it says so on it. What does this hook up to then? I've had several XSs before but have never understood vehicle electrics.
I'm a creator -I can build a vehicle around an engine, but when it comes to making it go, I tend to seek the help of those more mechanically minded than me.

Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #299 on: October 31, 2012, 10:31:25 PM »

Rectifier/regulator units.
I know they take the AC current from the alternator & turn it into a steady 12 volt DC supply, losing any excess in heat, through the fins. So I plan to mount it under the electrics panel in the air flow.
One came with the bike, 2 were spares. No idea which is which -is there an easy way to test them?
I assume the round thing, bottom right, is the starter solenoid, which I don't need as I'm blanking off the starter motor & going with kickstart only.
What's the other unit, top left?

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 174
  Print  

Jump to: