May 14, 2024, 10:36:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Handbrake again!  (Read 3631 times)
pie

« on: March 08, 2007, 04:10:52 PM »

Does anyone know, for MOT purposes do I have to have the handbrake working both rear wheels, or can it just work the one?
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2007, 04:14:31 PM »

The MSVA regulations say all the wheels on one axle -so either both rear wheels or one front one. As far as I know the MOT regs are the same, but Flap's passed with only one & my green trike passed four years in a row with only one. I guess it depends where you take it.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2007, 04:37:05 PM »

Mine doesn't work on both - but it looks good!

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
pie

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2007, 04:51:34 PM »

Thanks. I'm not too bothered with the msva as i don't think i'm gonna have to go through it, it was just the MOT.
It would be a lot better looking to only have it on one side so i think that's what i'll do.
Thank you both for your input.
harley gazz

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2007, 04:22:06 PM »

Thanks. I'm not too bothered with the msva as i don't think i'm gonna have to go through it,
pie are you getting it registered as a disabled vehicle??

arc eye tha noo
pie

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2007, 06:32:04 PM »

Dynatrike,
Yes i am registering it as a disabled vehicle although i don't really know yet what i have to do, i'm hoping it's gonna be quite straightforward as i have a blue badge and the dvla know that i am disabled.
I would appreciate any advice or recommendations you might have.
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2007, 07:44:44 PM »

Yoda's is done that way, but I think the guy who built it for him sorted most of the paperwork on his behalf.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
harley gazz

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2007, 01:02:11 PM »

Dynatrike,
Yes i am registering it as a disabled vehicle although i don't really know yet what i have to do, i'm hoping it's gonna be quite straightforward as i have a blue badge and the dvla know that i am disabled.
I would appreciate any advice or recommendations you might have.
i am afraid i am in the dark there as well, pie as i am am registered as disabled also i dont know who to ring or how to go about it  Huh Huh Huh

arc eye tha noo
TwistedPatience

Teetering on the edge of insanity

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2007, 07:08:37 PM »

I only have the handbrake operating one side and have no problems but I didn't have the MSVA thing to worry about.

"It's time to raise the Finger,
That middle digit takes your point and drives it home"
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2007, 07:59:38 PM »

Mine didn't have to be msva'd as only the swingarm is modified.

You don't stop havin fun because you get old - you get old if you stop havin fun!
foxthound

Piston broke

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2007, 01:01:36 PM »

I might be wrong here......

If the vehicle was registered before MSVA regs were introduced it only had to have a handbrake on one wheel to get through.
Vehicles that are subject to the MSVA test to get registered will need to have hand-braking on both rear wheels OR a single brake on the propshaft.

Quote Sooze from CBUK:
For the MOT, there is a slight 'glitch' because the way the inspection is worded ie "at least one wheel" a single wheel will pass the MOT, but a single rear won't be legal to use on the road.

Remember that the MOT DOES NOT check a vehicles legality, its only a periodic safety check for worn or defective parts.

D'ya call that an engine?
TwistedPatience

Teetering on the edge of insanity

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2007, 04:42:24 PM »

Have been running my trike for 8 years with only one wheel on the handbrake and never been told it's illegal.

"It's time to raise the Finger,
That middle digit takes your point and drives it home"
BikerGran

Gran Turismo

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2007, 06:47:33 PM »

It's one of those things that a sensible tester will pass but officially it should fail. 

pie

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2007, 10:18:50 PM »

Thanks to everyone for their comments.
I think i'm gonna go with a single side setup to start with and see what happens, if I have to change it then so be it!
I do remember on my last trike that I didn't once use the handbrake anyway, used to just leave it in gear.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: