May 14, 2024, 09:38:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Manky Monkey Motors Merchandise now available Cool Items at cool prices http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/merchandise.html

Home   Help Search Calendar Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: diff ratio  (Read 1882 times)
trikerpete

like a head with a sore bear :)

« on: February 15, 2007, 08:22:32 PM »

hi, has anyone any idea of diff ratio for 1600 beetle? im thinking about changing my wheels from 15" to 18" but not sure if the overall diameter is right for ratio/rmp/mph as it is now, about 24". is it bigger the wheel the more top speed?
any input would be good
regards
pete

what do you mean, I cant do that !! Smiley
Manky Monkey
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2007, 09:55:25 PM »

Yeah, in theory, fitting bigger wheels will give you higher top speed but slower acceleration.

On the last freedom moped out of Nowhere City.
brock

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2007, 10:08:47 PM »

Hi Pete,
  I think that the standard ratio is 3.875:1 (just one of those numbers that you remember ) but the fourth gear is less than 1:1 , just had to look that up , it's 0.93:1 so your current setup  (assuming 24" dia. ) should see you at 68.5 mph with four grand on the clock , in top. As Andy says , taller tyres more top end , but longer getting there. Depending on vehicle weight , engine tune I would think you could carry off a fair bit of an increase on those sizes.
trikerpete

like a head with a sore bear :)

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2007, 12:18:07 PM »

hi guys, i think i can cope with a little more speed at topend and a little less acceleration as it can wheely in 2nd at least Wink it may be a good thing to stop me doing that Roll Eyes the power/weight ratio is pretty good and if it means a little better fuel consumption at a higher top speed then that sounds good to me. thanks.
suppose i'll be on the lookout for some wheels/tyres soon, wide with low profile Grin Grin   oh yeah...and cheap Shocked Cool

what do you mean, I cant do that !! Smiley
harley gazz

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2007, 03:12:45 PM »

pete i have 15 inch rims on my vw trike but have dirty great bf goodrich all terraine tyres on em still wheelies  Shocked Shocked great for getting off boggy campsites pulls a trailer a piece of pi** makes me smile naughty i know when others with their low profile tyres, are slipping about in the mud and i just hitch up me trailer and drive off Wink
« Last Edit: February 16, 2007, 06:35:20 PM by dynatrike » Logged

arc eye tha noo
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: